Author Topic: PS3 Games  (Read 4182 times)

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

Re: PS3 Games
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 06:41:18 am »
Let me ask you guys this.  Not sure if you all have played Shenmue and Shenmue 2 but you basically live the life of Ryo along with the main and side missions.  Time and days of the week are very important.  Are there any games like that on the ps3 where you sort of live the life of someone?

Any of the (4...soon to be 5) "ATELIER" games would fit your bill...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 08:06:34 am »
Let me ask you guys this.  Not sure if you all have played Shenmue and Shenmue 2 but you basically live the life of Ryo along with the main and side missions.  Time and days of the week are very important.  Are there any games like that on the ps3 where you sort of live the life of someone?

To be honest with you, there isnt game like shenmue, is like when you try find a metal gear style game and you can think that splinter cell fits on it but both are completely different, isnt the same feelings. If you want a kinda exploring with puzzles and stuff, Heavy Rain can give you a little of bit of that. Is true that isnt a open world game but you need to investigate and make decisions that will affect the story itself. Is like Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit if you played it on ps2/xbox. 

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 08:16:09 am »
Folklore= the only reason I can suggest this one is for the battle system because the game sucks in the story.

I haven't played Folklore -but- owning its OST...I can say that (well...if you're like me, at least and a game's music has some importance to you) that the game's soundtrack is phenomenal.

The soundtrack is good, as well the graphics, but the voice acting, the story scenes that you only see poses from each character when they are talking, the story script is really bad, those things let you to stop playing. The game itself had a great potential because is kinda pokemon because you "capture" monsters, but with those flaws makes the game unplayable.

I see you like disgaea (your name tells everything xD ) and be honest with you I never liked strategic rpg, I think the best game with that style is fire emblem, however I played the 3ds version and I get bored really fast. I dont know what thing those game have to get me bored, maybe the gameplay itself that you need to move on squares and not freely.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 08:28:36 am »
Yeah, SRPG's are often a love it/hate kinda genre for a lot of people...if you ever get the hankering to try another one...give Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness a try; as it's very streamlined & new-player friendly.

90snostalga

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 10:23:36 am »

I tried to look these up.  Is that Atelier Totori and Ayesha???   Can you give me the order of them if you don't mind?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 10:50:17 am »

I tried to look these up.  Is that Atelier Totori and Ayesha???   Can you give me the order of them if you don't mind?

Sure 90's, no problem :)

The 1st 3 make up what's called the "Arland" Trilogy...

1st was Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland,

2nd/middle game of the trilogy is Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland, and the

3rd/last game of the trilogy is Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland.

Next (the 4th game...which is part one of another/separate trilogy (*Probably*)) is called:

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk.
Part 2 to Ayesha ("Atelier Escha + Logy") is being released, iirc, early in 2014.

I've played, completed, and liked all of them -so- feel free to ask if you have any other questions!

Btw- Since I'm not sure what systems you have & prefer to play on...I KNOW that Rorona & Totori both have Vita ports w/ some extra content (I haven't played any of them on the Vita, since I'd already completed them on the PS3) -and- (if Meruru doesn't already) have a Vita port - it will pretty soon...

90snostalga

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 03:24:22 pm »

Sure 90's, no problem :)

The 1st 3 make up what's called the "Arland" Trilogy...

1st was Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist of Arland,

2nd/middle game of the trilogy is Atelier Totori: The Adventurer of Arland, and the

3rd/last game of the trilogy is Atelier Meruru: The Apprentice of Arland.

Next (the 4th game...which is part one of another/separate trilogy (*Probably*)) is called:

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk.
Part 2 to Ayesha ("Atelier Escha + Logy") is being released, iirc, early in 2014.

I've played, completed, and liked all of them -so- feel free to ask if you have any other questions!

Btw- Since I'm not sure what systems you have & prefer to play on...I KNOW that Rorona & Totori both have Vita ports w/ some extra content (I haven't played any of them on the Vita, since I'd already completed them on the PS3) -and- (if Meruru doesn't already) have a Vita port - it will pretty soon...

Thanks so much for the details of the Atelier games.  I don't have a Vita just a ps3 to play them on.  I looked up a little bit on youtube.  Is that like that Mana Kana game on ps2?  I did not like that one because I was so lost.  If you can without spoilers, can you give me a good summary or just the basic of what you do or what its about? 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:36:10 pm by 90snostalga »

90snostalga

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 03:41:54 pm »
I see at the top at has years like "year 1" year 3" etc.  Do the players get older as the games on?  Like, you play them every day of their lives?

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 09:19:59 am »
I think that it would just be easier for me to link you to a review of each one (written by a good friend of mine); who has very similar tastes, likes & dislikes in gaming as myself.

And yes - each game is set over the course of a number of years (usually 3, iirc) -and- they do indeed age/grow older throughout the game...

...SO, in order - starting w. Rorona:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/PS3/958853-atelier-rorona-the-alchemist-of-arland/reviews/review-148291

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2013, 09:23:44 am »
Ayesha.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/PS3/665780-atelier-ayesha-the-alchemist-of-dusk/reviews/review-154858

You can, of course, read more reviews & watch other videos of any that catch your interest  ;D

*EDIT*

In answer to your other question (if it's just like Mana Khemia); the answer would be no.

Just about all of the Atelier games are primarily focused on (and in this order):

FIRST = Synthesis/creation & item & resource gathering,

SECOND = progressing the story + time management, and

THIRD = Combat.

Mana Khemia is more combat-intensive...while the Atelier games tend to stick w/ a pretty basic type of turn-based combat -so- it's up to you if that's a pro or a con  ;)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 09:32:41 am by disgaeniac »

mark1982

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2013, 09:43:58 am »
PS3 is a brilliant machine, definitely a good buy and great to get one now because there are literally HEAPS of titles to get.

All the major ones pretty much already listed in this thread, but I would highly recommend The Last of Us and of course God of War 3 which arguably pushes the PS3 hardware to the fullest. Also Metal Gear 4, old Snake, such an iconic game (Prepare for a lot of cut scenes).

Give the Demon Souls or Dark Souls a go if you're into something a little more challenging. For me the Souls series is the best thing to come out of this gen. Plus the latest Dark Souls comes out in March, most anticipated title for me.
  l    l 

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2013, 10:00:22 am »
Also, *especially* if you haven't already played them on the PS2 - do yourself a favor & get/play the HD ICO & Shadow of the Collossus Collection & the Sega's Greatest Hits Collection...for the cost of admission, IMO, you can't go wrong with either one!

soera

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2013, 10:17:51 am »
I keep looking at the ICO collection ... is it really that good? I know where one is sitting right now.