Author Topic: Projected Valuable/Rare Titles  (Read 4010 times)

atariboy

Re: Projected Rare Titles
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 10:08:56 pm »
Ive recently started piking up cheaper current gen games that I believe will be harder to find in the next few years.  What games do you think will be rare for the ps3, wii, and 360.  Please put the name, a reason you believe. Will be rare, and the amount of copies sold.

Afrika PS3
This game is essentially Pokemon Snap in the safari. Based on its low sales but fairly interesting gameplay I believe this game is not on a lot of people's radar at this time.

Sold 104,000 copies in the US and 200,000 global

Oh man thanks for remembering me of that game! A friend showed it to me once, and I've wanted it ever since, but I had completely forgotten the title.

I got this game because I had heard that it was hard to find, this was back in June of 2012, also got the soundtrack to boot. I've played it a few times and it is a pretty relaxing game, Until the lions start chasing you because you got to close  :o
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

tpugmire

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 12:25:29 am »
One game that I think will wind up being fairly rare is Super Luigi U (in the green case), and here's why. It was released on the eShop months before it's physical release, and not long after that, it was bundled together with Super Mario Bros. U on one disc with new Wii U consoles. Also, I've never seen another solo copy in person besides mine. Maybe I'll be proven wrong in the long run, but I kind of doubt it.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

karyann

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 02:49:59 pm »
One game that I think will wind up being fairly rare is Super Luigi U (in the green case), and here's why. It was released on the eShop months before it's physical release, and not long after that, it was bundled together with Super Mario Bros. U on one disc with new Wii U consoles. Also, I've never seen another solo copy in person besides mine. Maybe I'll be proven wrong in the long run, but I kind of doubt it.

Here in Québec I saw them everywhere all the time before the holidays. Since 2014 though, I have never seen more than 1 on the shelves, if any. But I think your point still stands and I totally agree. Especially since the physical release costs $10 more than the digital version.

sin2beta

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 03:19:34 pm »
Any thoughts on the physical Duck Tales Remastered? This seems to be fairly limited.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 06:03:43 pm »
I don't think you can have projected rare titles, from the moment a game a released it is either rare or not. To me for a game to be considered rare it should have a production run of less than 5,000.
Please list modern games that have less than 5,000 produced excluding limited edition sets.  In a world with a little over 7 billion people I am pretty sure we can boost that number up a bit to 50-100k.  You need to keep in mind that we are in a digital era with disk based games. Scratches, cracks, heat exposure, etc can lead to a number like 200k dropping to 100K globally (especially with blu-ray based games).

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 06:15:59 pm »
WiiU games. No one has those. *rim shot*

Thank you. Thank you. I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress.

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 06:30:02 pm »
WiiU games. No one has those. *rim shot*

Thank you. Thank you. I'll be here all week. Be sure to tip your waitress.

Nintendo doesn't have them either. Zing

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 06:33:16 pm »
Any thoughts on the physical Duck Tales Remastered? This seems to be fairly limited.
Look out for the one from target that came with the disc and the collectors pin. There I said it. If someone makes a video about it, it'll be $100 tomorrow.

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 10:12:18 pm »
Look out for the one from target that came with the disc and the collectors pin. There I said it. If someone makes a video about it, it'll be $100 tomorrow.
I think that is dead on. I believe the sudden trend in collecting has a good bit to do with the popularizing of geek culture and there is a very obvious effect on the demand for games due to videos by AVGN, HVGN, The Game Chasers etc.
Really goes to show how volatile the market is.

But to topic, I myself have been picking up things that either haven't sold well, seem to have fewer available copies and also anything that appears to be phasing out.
For example I recently snatched Journey CE for $20 at Wally World because they were getting harder to find in my area.

Though we are talking about millions of copies produced of games, its going to take many years for the true measure of common to show. As time wears on games are lost, destroyed or recalled in some cases.  The only other measure I feel confident in is game produced closer to the end of the consoles life, which also still very much depends on the production run such as Little Sampson vs Wario's Woods.

htimreimer

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 02:26:45 am »
But to topic, I myself have been picking up things that either haven't sold well, seem to have fewer available copies and also anything that appears to be phasing out.
For example I recently snatched Journey CE for $20 at Wally World because they were getting harder to find in my area.

Though we are talking about millions of copies produced of games, its going to take many years for the true measure of common to show. As time wears on games are lost, destroyed or recalled in some cases.  The only other measure I feel confident in is game produced closer to the end of the consoles life, which also still very much depends on the production run such as Little Sampson vs Wario's Woods.
thats why more than likely why shovelware will be rare, most shovelware doesn't sell vary well, they usually it only gives the developer & publisher a small profit and thats also why companies like destineer release so many games per year, another reason why shovelware will be rare despite the fact they are made to be disposable is that recalls in the shovelware market is not uncommon.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 02:28:55 am by htimreimer »

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 01:00:07 pm »

thats why more than likely why shovelware will be rare, most shovelware doesn't sell vary well, they usually it only gives the developer & publisher a small profit and thats also why companies like destineer release so many games per year, another reason why shovelware will be rare despite the fact they are made to be disposable is that recalls in the shovelware market is not uncommon.

Well though I do agree there is potential in that logic ponder this if you will....How many copies of Anticipation, Captain Skyhawk, Top Gun, Cool World, Super Jeopardy or Golden Nugget 64 have you run across so far?

Though the Wii is the definitive wh*re for shovelware at this time, there still the need for it to have a desire to be possessed.
Btw if you're looking for Wii Shovelware, I recommend Biglots / Oddlots.

htimreimer

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 02:12:48 pm »

Well though I do agree there is potential in that logic ponder this if you will....How many copies of Anticipation, Captain Skyhawk, Top Gun, Cool World, Super Jeopardy or Golden Nugget 64 have you run across so far?

Though the Wii is the definitive wh*re for shovelware at this time, there still the need for it to have a desire to be possessed.
Btw if you're looking for Wii Shovelware, I recommend Biglots / Oddlots.
if theres one thing i have learned about shovelware is that it takes at least 20 to 30 years for it to become rare, a great example of this would be the  atari 2600

tpugmire

Re: Projected Valuable/Rare Titles
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 02:46:38 pm »
Sort of. The thing about the Atari 2600 is that pretty much everyone wanted to get into making games because it was this hot new thing that was generally viewed as a fad. As a result, you had these people starting up a company in their basement, rushing to get one unlicensed game made and to market. The main reason that many 2600 games are rare is not necessarily that they are shovelware, it's that they had such small production runs that they can't help but be rare. Since the NES days, there really aren't any unlicensed games being made, except for homebrews.  Any Wii game would be produced in such numbers that it could never truly be considered rare. Also keep in mind that rare doesn't always mean valuable.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com