Author Topic: Dumpster diving game stores?  (Read 1129 times)

Warmsignal

Dumpster diving game stores?
« on: December 30, 2013, 02:33:19 pm »
Any one here do this? By stores, I'm pretty much referring to GS.

I started doing this last year of out curiosity. Indeed it's tiring, and gross, but worth it I think. I've found so much stuff this way. Everything from pre-order bonuses, store displays, to complete games, and ones I wanted to add to my collection. A lot of the stuff is really profitable. I've made nearly a grand out of their dumpster.

For myself, most of what I hope to find is just DS cases. Since I'm such a big DS fan / collector, I like to find the cases to games still on my wishlist in hopes that I'll be able to obtain them cheaper, either through GS, or due to being less expensive cart only online. I also feel a personal duty to stop good DS cases (for good titles) from going to the landfill. But I also like finding all the different, neat and often times collectible stuff that gets thrown out.

Last night's run yielded a lot of good cases, and a disc only copy of Tactics Ogre. Not my cup of tea, but what a waste to be thrown out!

The downside is it eventually becomes a hoarding habit. I've accumulated so much stuff I can't possibly find a home for all of it. A lot of it I just wanna unload now, but I don't just want to throw it back out.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 02:35:00 pm by Warmsignal »

soera

Re: Dumpster diving game stores?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 02:46:48 pm »
Post some of the stuff here : http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,1225.0.html Im sure some of the people here would want some of it. :)

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 03:13:15 pm »
I'm sure most of us here will help you thin out your collection :D

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 03:51:45 pm »
Gimmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 05:16:00 pm »
I took a bunch of random game cases from an art supply shop that takes a lot of surplus and donations for teachers... I hate seeing that stuff get trashed when someone out there would love to have it.  I wanted to save all the cases GS was trashing when they were weeding out their DS cases, but they didn't call me when I asked them to and they were all gone the next time I checked.

List what you got (and don't need)!  I'm sure we'd be happy to take them off your hands or help you find the cart-only for it...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 06:31:29 pm »
if you have any spare DS cases im short.
hate the carts not being in boxes

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 06:32:04 pm »

its posts like this that make me wish there was a like button.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2013, 08:45:33 pm »
Eww, no. Who knows what's in there?

I've been to some pretty questionable thrift shops and flea markets that are only two steps away from the dumpster, but never have I resorted to going through the dumpster.

If you want the stuff that bad, I'm sure if you talk to the staff, they'd just leave the bag outside the dumpster for you and tell what day to pick it up. Or even keep it in the back for you if they're that nice.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 09:19:33 pm »

its posts like this that make me wish there was a like button.
same here

pacpix

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 03:50:26 am »
I have considered it, but I feel like once I am in the dumpster I may have become a little to involved in the hobby.  Also my main focus is retro and most game stores are not going to be throwing out Atari carts and NES games.  Don't have a problem with people doing it, but its definitely not for me.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

atariboy

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 09:20:54 pm »
I have gotten tons of stuff from Dumpster diving, I dont do it very often nowadays (Wife told me to stop due to lack of room  :) ) but Game Crazy was the best to dumpster dive in. I got 2 working Xbox's, a PS1, a bunch of games, Posters Galore and a lot of Promo stuff. Oh and I've probably gotten about a 100 strategy guides. It's crazy the stuff they throw out. If you can do it I suggest to do it.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw