Author Topic: Harvest Moon Series  (Read 1218 times)

90snostalga

Harvest Moon Series
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:43:26 pm »
I've never played any of the Harvest Moon games but I know they have several across multiple systems.  Anyone recommend any Harvest Moon games and what about one's on Wii?  Are they like an open world rpg?

Re: Harvest Moon Series
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 07:01:04 am »
I just consider them farming simulators with a really cute aesthetic, not really open world, but you can do basically whatever you want. I didn't really like the one on wii. of the newer ones I'd recommend Wonderful life, Magical Melody and another wonderful life, basically the gamecube ones. The N64 and SNES versions are awesome too, not as complex, but still really fun but pricey as well and back to Nature is fun too

ffxik

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:20:27 pm »
It's more open world than the newer installments of Final Fantasy seem to be capable of.  My wife love them I on the other hand not so much.  To be fair though it's definitely more farming/life simulator than anything.

Every game has pretty much the same progression from what I have seen.  My wife goes gaga over any new game in the franchise I get her.  I have watched her play most of them and they all pretty much play the same.  Some a fair bit more complicated than others but mostly the same. :-/

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:06:57 pm »
It's more open world than the newer installments of Final Fantasy seem to be capable of.  My wife love them I on the other hand not so much.  To be fair though it's definitely more farming/life simulator than anything.

Every game has pretty much the same progression from what I have seen.  My wife goes gaga over any new game in the franchise I get her.  I have watched her play most of them and they all pretty much play the same.  Some a fair bit more complicated than others but mostly the same. :-/

Wait so some of the Final Fantasy games are a little open world as well?  That's interesting she loves all of the Harvest Moon games like that.  It must be one of those games that if you are a dedicated fan, you will always support like it like a cult following.

desocietas

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 01:10:59 am »
Oh man, where is Amauriel...?  This post is totally up her alley :)

I own a lot of the handheld versions (including some of the spinoffs like Rune Factory).  When friends ask about them, I pretty much tell them that it's the same game over and over again but they add new mechanics or improvements usually, and there are slight things that make it worthwhile (like a new animal you can own... *cough* CUTEST ALPACAS EVER *cough*).  I guess the series would be something akin to the Bejeweled series or The Sims or any other franchise.  Basically the same premise - just new technology improvements (hopefully) and a new interesting gimmick.

Rune Factory actually felt a little different for once, since it had the farming sim but also, at night, you'd go explore dungeons and actually fight things!  You'd fight stuff, and your reward would be more farming land that happens to be underground...  ::)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

pacpix

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 03:14:58 am »
Oh man, where is Amauriel...?  This post is totally up her alley :)
Yeah it looks like she has a few games in the series.

Edit: On a side note is there any reason why I can't resize the image with BBcode? Pretty sure I am doing it right.
Code: [Select]
[img=100x200]Image[/img]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:18:24 am by pacpix »
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

soera

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 11:33:04 am »
Oh man, where is Amauriel...?

This is what I have been wondering for weeks. :(

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 02:06:41 pm »

Who is Amauriel?

pacpix

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 03:47:35 pm »

Who is Amauriel?
Legendary member from the earlier years of VGCollect.  She disappeared when her husband had some health issues, then came back for one day and said she was super busy, but would try to come back soon.  That was back in March :(
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 04:15:52 pm »

Who is Amauriel?
Legendary member from the earlier years of VGCollect.  She disappeared when her husband had some health issues, then came back for one day and said she was super busy, but would try to come back soon.  That was back in March :(

I hope she is okay and I hope her husband is okay as well.  I feel sad bc you guys feel sad  :-\

Are there any other missing members as well?

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 09:56:07 pm »

Who is Amauriel?

Yep, we miss her for sure - hope you're still lurking occasionally, Amauriel!  She has a great Harvest Moon collection, as that picture showed.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas