Author Topic: handheld consoles  (Read 6424 times)

90snostalga

Re: handheld consoles
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2014, 02:20:32 pm »
To expand a little further from what Turf said, there's a slider on the top lid that controllers the depth of the 3D effect. You can play with the levels to find a 3D effect that is comfortable for you. Putting the slider all the way down turns it off.

I just bought my first 3DS yesterday so I haven't had a lot of time with it, but the manual implied that the parental controls allow you to lock the 3D effect off as well if that's an issue you need to address for kids.

After you play it for a good while, let me know what you think on the 3d feature if you can...

bobster

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2014, 02:21:33 pm »
To expand a little further from what Turf said, there's a slider on the top lid that controllers the depth of the 3D effect. You can play with the levels to find a 3D effect that is comfortable for you. Putting the slider all the way down turns it off.

I just bought my first 3DS yesterday so I haven't had a lot of time with it, but the manual implied that the parental controls allow you to lock the 3D effect off as well if that's an issue you need to address for kids.

After you play it for a good while, let me know what you think on the 3d feature if you can...
Sure thing. I plan on digging into Zelda: Link between worlds tonight so I'll report back later :D
Currently Playing: The Witcher

soera

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2014, 03:18:55 pm »
I played through the entire Link between worlds game with the 3D effect on and I liked it a lot. I would check what it was like with it off and would turn it right back on. :)

karyann

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2014, 06:14:23 pm »
Personally, I played almost always in 2D at first, but then after trying a few games that looked gorgeous in 3D, I started playing more and more in 3D. Now I play in 2D if I wanna save the battery or if the game doesn't look too good in 3D (some games look prettier in 2D, I gotta admit), otherwise I love to play 3D now. :)

It shouldn't strain your eyes if you adjust the slidebar correctly. Many people seem to think that it you don't put it all the way up you're not a "real man", and that's utter bullshit. The slidebar is there to adjust to your eyesight and distance between your arms and face. Just slide it until it feels comfortable!

90snostalga

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2014, 09:54:45 pm »
That's all I need to hear  :D  Sounds like a winner to me!  I prob won't adjust the settings all the way but it is good to know that you can turn it off if need be.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2014, 10:36:03 pm »
Some games are better in 3D than others. Mario Kart and A Link Between Worlds are great in 3D. New Super Mario Bros is better in 2D. So, it depends on the game. When I do play in 3D, I have mine set at about 3/4 the way up.

desocietas

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2014, 11:10:52 pm »
Yeah I have mine set about half way or so (most likely because my vision isn't equal between my two eyes, so it's a bit of a strain to do 3-D to the max).  3D doesn't matter in some games, where it feels like an afterthought (only the dialogue menus give a 3D affect, for instance) while other games make it look really nice.

3D in games is still kinda like how 3D is in movies - sometimes awful, sometimes kinda neat.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2014, 12:13:08 am »
Oh man, I love anything SNK/Neo geo, so for the pocket color, it does have a lot of amazing 2d fighters but there are some pretty good RPG's and puzzle games as well, SNK vs Capcom: Card fighters is a pokemon style game, not too sure if you'll like it if you don't know a lot of Capcom and SNK fighting game characters but still cool games, crush roller is a fun puzzle ,arcade classic game, Bust-a-move is fun. From what I've heard Beast Busters is an awesome RPG as well as both Dive Alert games, and pretty much all the SNK sports games are cool... Pocket Tennis, Neo Turf Masters and Baseball Stars Color. If you do plan on getting one, definitely get some of the fighting games as well, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, The Last Blade, SNK vs Capcom... And I cant forget the two AMAZING Metal Slug games, absolutely fantastic arcade run n gun games

Question for you Kingrat. I was reading more on the neo geo pocket and I have read there is no backlight for it.  I know me personally, I cannot play the Game boy advance because the screen is too dark.  Is the neo geo pocket color still bright enough to see fine on it?  Can you hook it to a tv or anything?

Oh man, looks like you've made your decision haha. To be honest, the screen isn't as nice as the first model GBA, you cant hook it into a TV, and you basically have to be on the surface of the sun to see anything haha. I use mine with a little desk light that works really well. You can also mod them and put a backlight in but it is kind of tough to do and doesn't last very well. If I were you, check out some Neo Geo arcade games on mame or something and see if you like them at all or if you like them enough to want stripped down versions on a handheld 

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2014, 12:33:29 am »
Oh man, I love anything SNK/Neo geo, so for the pocket color, it does have a lot of amazing 2d fighters but there are some pretty good RPG's and puzzle games as well, SNK vs Capcom: Card fighters is a pokemon style game, not too sure if you'll like it if you don't know a lot of Capcom and SNK fighting game characters but still cool games, crush roller is a fun puzzle ,arcade classic game, Bust-a-move is fun. From what I've heard Beast Busters is an awesome RPG as well as both Dive Alert games, and pretty much all the SNK sports games are cool... Pocket Tennis, Neo Turf Masters and Baseball Stars Color. If you do plan on getting one, definitely get some of the fighting games as well, Samurai Shodown, Fatal Fury, The Last Blade, SNK vs Capcom... And I cant forget the two AMAZING Metal Slug games, absolutely fantastic arcade run n gun games

Question for you Kingrat. I was reading more on the neo geo pocket and I have read there is no backlight for it.  I know me personally, I cannot play the Game boy advance because the screen is too dark.  Is the neo geo pocket color still bright enough to see fine on it?  Can you hook it to a tv or anything?

Oh man, looks like you've made your decision haha. To be honest, the screen isn't as nice as the first model GBA, you cant hook it into a TV, and you basically have to be on the surface of the sun to see anything haha. I use mine with a little desk light that works really well. You can also mod them and put a backlight in but it is kind of tough to do and doesn't last very well. If I were you, check out some Neo Geo arcade games on mame or something and see if you like them at all or if you like them enough to want stripped down versions on a handheld

Are you talking the original B&W model? I haven't played it. But I did until very recently own a Neo Geo Pocket Color. And I thought it was a fantastic screen. Backlit, no. But as far as non-backlit screens go, it was one of the best I have used. Better than the Game Boy Color's.

90snostalga

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2014, 02:58:45 am »

Are you talking the original B&W model? I haven't played it. But I did until very recently own a Neo Geo Pocket Color. And I thought it was a fantastic screen. Backlit, no. But as far as non-backlit screens go, it was one of the best I have used. Better than the Game Boy Color's.

Yea the neo geo pocket color is what im referring to.  If it is better than better the game boy color than that will work for me!   ;)  It's on my list behind the 3DS and game gear but I do want to get one to try it out tho

90snostalga

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2014, 08:18:16 am »
I do want to get the 3DS brand new I just have to decide which bundle to get.  I wanted the Zelda bundle but I would prefer an actual game or the game at least on an sd card so I may get the Mario Kart one.  But I keep hoping I'll fine a Neo geo pocket color and psp at a thrift shop or good will for about 10 bucks lol  Probably not tho'. ;D

bobster

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2014, 09:57:53 am »

To get back to you on this, last night my girlfriend and I played a link between worlds for a couple hours. I absolutely loved the 3D of the game. I had it all the way up and didn't have any problems with my eyes. It's amazing how easily your eyes adjust to it honestly. You just have to find the right angle for looking at it. Straight on and you're good.

Someone else mentioned it was heavy and tired out their arms. I laid down with the DS on my chest/stomach and had no problems. I also sat up and played with it in my lap. I guess I don't hold my handhelds up lol. More along those lines, my girlfriend couldn't have it on her stomach because of the whole "having boobs" thing. She held it up with no problems I heard of though.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

90snostalga

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2014, 12:45:40 am »
Fantastic  :)  Yea I think maybe most who have problems with the 3d part, its all about re adjusting to where your eyes can get used to it.  Because I know when I watch a 3d movie on my tv, there are a few movies that I have to change the deph of the 3d settings because some movies are set so high that I cant stand it.  I'm one of the few people who actually own like 10 3d blu rays.  I love them and I"m surprised it has not caught on more but I know I should enjoy the 3DS as well with right settings. :)

Thank Bob :D

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 08:49:16 pm »
I do want to get the 3DS brand new I just have to decide which bundle to get.  I wanted the Zelda bundle but I would prefer an actual game or the game at least on an sd card so I may get the Mario Kart one.  But I keep hoping I'll fine a Neo geo pocket color and psp at a thrift shop or good will for about 10 bucks lol  Probably not tho'. ;D

check your local pawnshops also, for sure you will find a psp for less than $20 bucks and maybe hacked xD. Also, the 3d settings on the 3ds can be uncomfortable when you play the games for first time but give it chance until you accustom to them. I hated it at first time but then when I saw that some game looks way better (mario kart, resident evil revelation, kid ikarus, zelda, etc) I tried to accustom my eyes to them and now I can play all my games with the 3d feature :)

90snostalga

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2014, 01:42:54 pm »
wal mart has the psp for 100 with 2 games a model 3000 slim.  Is this a good model psp to get?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-PSP-Ultimate-Bundle-30-Savings/21684021