Author Topic: Disc Resurfacing  (Read 1770 times)

Disc Resurfacing
« on: January 09, 2014, 12:25:44 am »
Hello all!

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with disc dr/Disc resurfacing.  I'm feeling like I want to transition more into ps1/ps2/xbox360 as they bottom out in price (hopefully), but holy scratches, a LOT of the stuff I find is really messed up. 

So I was wondering if a resurfacer might not be a terrible investment.  I found this: http://www.amazon.com/JFJ-Easy-Universal-Repair-Machine/dp/B000RBE4B8 on amazon after a post from Brunauss mentioned something about it.  Kinda pricey, but I imagine would be worth it if I was able to save 25-35 discs of varying worth.  I've got a loose windwaker right now that is scratched up, and that's probably worth $20-$30 to someone. 

Do you think I need to go that hardcore with it, or would I be able to get by with one of the cheaper solutions?

Any input would be appreciated!

soera

Re: Disc Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 01:27:24 am »
I have one of those machines. It works fine. I dont use it anymore though so I may consider selling it too.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 12:19:29 pm »
Fine isn't a ringing endorsement.  Is it worth the dough? 

soera

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 12:37:55 pm »
It will clean your disks up but not nearly as well as some of those that the big businesses have.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 01:41:42 pm »
But the big business ones are like, crazy expensive? 

Ooh yeah, I just looked up the Eco Smart Disc repair and it was $1500 refurbished.  I'm seeing prices of 5-7k for some of the others.  V. tempted to pick up this little feller.

soera

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 01:48:43 pm »
Yeah they are crazy expensive. We are lucky in my area in that every Vintage stock is willing and able to use their crazy expensive machine on disks for free. Mine works but it needs a new pad and I just really havent bothered getting one but I probably should since Im considering moving onto disk collections soon.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 01:13:42 am »
Hey Mkarasch,

Check out these guys... they make an AWESOME product.  You don't want to use any of those cheap Disc Dr. pieces of crap.  Yes... it may fix your game, but the disc itself is gonna like like shit  :D

Basically, if you want to do it right... your gonna have to invest in a good machine.  And let me tell you, I've had many discs resurfaced by these guys, and the discs come back looking BRAND SPANKIN' NEW.  I don't know how they do it. 

anyhow, here's the link to their machines:

http://azuradisc.com/Products_Services_3/Disc-Repair-Machines-and-Parts/

They also offer a mail in service for like $3-5 bucks per game if you want to give them a try.  Highly recommended!

- Retromangia

abe

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 04:25:34 pm »
Out of curiosity, do those fancy disc resurfacing machines work for smaller discs like GameCube games?
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 11:44:30 pm »
yes abe they do! .... they have a special gamecube tray you can buy for like $30 on their website.

abe

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 05:31:56 am »
Thanks, that's awesome!
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)