Author Topic: Does this ever happen to you trading games.  (Read 3179 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Does this ever happen to you trading games.
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2016, 12:40:59 pm »
It is just people in general now. It is disappointing. I was hooking up a guy locally with some old duplicate games I have. I was giving the guy 50% of ebay pricing and sometimes even less. He was buying up everything I had. I then realized he was reselling the games for a lot more to other people. I told him I would keep selling stuff through him, but I wanted more money (since before I thought I was just helping a fellow collector). The guy flipped out and said I was greedy and then his wife called me later and told me how I had ruined her husband's life. It was straight up crazy.

If his life was truely ruined by you refusing to let him continue to exploit you then that's his problem for being a grade A douchebag.

This type of thing I have a very low tolerance for.

At the other end of the spectrum I sometimes struggle with the "flip it" mentality too. If I know you got Earthbound for $1 and it's the fifth one you've picked up that year I have a hard time bringing myself to pay more than original sale price (I mean the price the game cost at its original release) for the item. I understand market value and time/effort invested, etc. But part of it was simply luck. If I've been lucky I like to share that with fellow collectors that haven't been so lucky.

I've had folks on here hook me up. One guy sent me a copy of Shatterhand for free out of the blue just because he found it cheap and saw it in my wishlist (it's a $70 game right now).

The same guy hooked me up with a first print of Bayonetta 2 for the price he got it (which was half of the going rate on eBay).

For the record theflea has been pretty good to me. I've added a handful of things to my collection thanks to good (cash) deals with him.

I think it's okay to ask for what you think is fair and acceptable as the seller and it's fair to walk away if you feel it's too steep as a buyer.

I guess it's haggling I'm no good at because the way I see it typically the haggler is more often trying to con someone into a lower price just to benefit themselves. Rarely have I seen someone haggling to get something at a fair price or to correct the overpricing of an item.

That said, we've all haggled at sometime to try to tip things further in our favor. So maybe our angst with it is hypocritical? :)

sworddude

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2016, 12:47:00 pm »
Why not just sell your games that you do not want and buy one with equal money?

I mean seriously, everyone is talking about equal value trades + shipping costs in most cases. Rarely are games actually hard to get unless on those very rare instances and you can decide if the condition is worthy enough or not. If it sells for your price you had the correct value if not your estimate is just a bit to high.

it's pretty plain and simple really.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:57:55 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

kashell

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 08:55:00 am »
"You ruined my husbands life because you didn't sell him some 30 year old video games."   Riiiiight....

If this is true, then this woman -REALLY- knows how to pick 'em.

nellen

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 04:36:09 am »
I find trading whit other game collectors is not to bad for the most part. But I find some game shops are really bad. The other day I got a extra copies of Pokemon diamond and Pokemon y both complete So I go to a local shop just to see what they would give me. They had 4 copies of diamond whit 100$ price tags. He said he can give me 40 for diamond and 14 for y. Making over a 50% profit. I understand they need to make money. And if he was going to sell it for 60$ I would of been ok getting 40.

rayne315

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 12:18:06 pm »
I find trading whit other game collectors is not to bad for the most part. But I find some game shops are really bad. The other day I got a extra copies of Pokemon diamond and Pokemon y both complete So I go to a local shop just to see what they would give me. They had 4 copies of diamond whit 100$ price tags. He said he can give me 40 for diamond and 14 for y. Making over a 50% profit. I understand they need to make money. And if he was going to sell it for 60$ I would of been ok getting 40.

Dear god go back to him and sell diamond right now... hes buying them for more than market value... they usually only go for around $25-35. I personally would never go back to that shop ever again to buy games if hes marking cib pokemon diamond games at $100 (3-4X market price)

btw he is giving more than most store would give % wise. every store I have ever been to will buy at 20-30% market value because games tend to decrease in price over time more than increase.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:23:18 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

nellen

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 01:34:25 pm »
Am from Canada so ya 100$ is crazy but I can sell diamond for 40 all day

nellen

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 02:08:47 pm »
and ya he's price's are over ebay. its nuts he's asking 50 for perfect dark. and 100 for kerby n64.

ffxik

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 10:54:10 pm »
and ya he's price's are over ebay. its nuts he's asking 50 for perfect dark. and 100 for kerby n64.

How are they still in business?

nellen

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 02:03:22 am »
some time's there price's are ok. but i think they make most of there money selling new game's. and bootleg Pokemon plush's watch i dont know what they get away whit it

nellen

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 02:06:34 am »
like i was there today. and picked up chrono cross sealed for 20$ remember am Canadian so you Americans get stuff cheaper. but there Nintendo stuff is way over priced there

ffxik

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2016, 11:40:02 pm »
like i was there today. and picked up chrono cross sealed for 20$ remember am Canadian so you Americans get stuff cheaper. but there Nintendo stuff is way over priced there

Last time I seen Chrono Cross sealed the shop was asking $50+  I'd say that was a steal.

kashell

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 08:11:35 am »

Was it the Greatest Hits version or the OG black version? Either way, you got a great deal for a great game.

nellen

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 09:05:42 am »
it was Greatest Hits. but i don't care.