Author Topic: Foil Covers  (Read 1217 times)

scott

Foil Covers
« on: January 24, 2014, 04:32:31 pm »
I was looking at my Saturn games, namely Albert Odyssey, and can't help but think that with all my photoshop skills there has to be a way to make the cover look better than it does currently.

Anyone have any ideas on scanning foiled covers to that they come out closer to the real thing?
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

topspot123

Re: Foil Covers
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:55:50 pm »
I've never seen a scan that did justice to foil.  I imagine you could juice it up in photoshop by adding a semi-transparent layer of something like this:

Alternatively, I think you can get better and easier results with a camera and good lighting.  Try to take the pic straight on, or be able to flatten out perspective in post.  Try with lots of light, try with and without a flash, try to bounce the flash, etc, and see what you get.  I would take a pic of the art only and photoshop it back in a case.

I have a few games with foil covers or slipcovers.  Let us know how you do and I might try my hand at it too.

scott

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 08:31:14 pm »
Ya I have a decent camera I though about setting up a light box to handle things like this. But was hoping to either do the fix during scan or during color correction.

karyann

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 09:35:43 pm »
If you ever find a fix, please keep us informed! I've always thought it was impossible, since the "whoa" effect in real life comes from the light coming from different angles, especially when you move the box. And since a picture isn't animated, it seems hard to represent that shiny effect to me. So, like I said, please share if you find a way  ;D I'm really interested in seeing that.

scott

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 10:22:12 pm »
I might do some tests in a few days.

topspot123

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 03:36:13 pm »
I might do some tests in a few days.

Just wondering if you got anywhere with this?

scott

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 03:49:17 pm »
... I never did get a chance to test it. But thanks for the reminder! I'm working on finishing up another art project tonight and once that's done I'll give those tests a go. Since I'll have my art table set up with lighting anyway.