Author Topic: Another Wii U stat  (Read 7308 times)

90snostalga

Another Wii U stat
« on: January 27, 2014, 02:00:28 am »
The following article suggests 3 ways that Nintendo can save itself.  1 being to drop the Wii U completely and go ahead and move on to a next gen console and even release the first party Nintendo games to it and skip the Wii U.  Please read and let me know what you guys think about about the article.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/01/26/3-ways-to-save-nintendo.aspx

blipcs76

Re: Another Wii U stat
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:50:47 am »
Nintendo is in an awkward position.  If they rush their next console to market, they're going to be out of sync with MS and Sony, as well as infuriate anyone who spent $300 on a Wii U.  They also already have flagship titles in development for Wii U, like Zelda.  Pushing new console now would be a mess.  Sega killed off their fan base by releasing upgrades too frequently (32x/Sega CD/etc.)

It's way too early to say the Wii U is a failure, as their biggest games are coming out later this year.  Here's what I would do to fix the situation if it were up to me:

1.) Aggressively court 2nd/3rd parties.
Lack of games is the biggest problem with this system.  They need more support.

2.) Launch a massive marketing campaign
People still don't know what Wii U is.

3.) Overhaul MiiPlaza.
It's cute, but seems really archaic compared to the MS/Sony interfaces.  Create a more modern interface and make Mii Plaza optional.

4.) Bring online functionality up to MS/Sony standards. 
Free online is a big selling point.

5.) Give up on casuals
It worked for you 7 years ago.  But casuals play games on their phones and tablets now and you have failed to move them to the Wii U.  You're not getting them back.  Gimmicks don't last, and it's core gamers who drive the industry, not moms playing Zumba fitness or shovelware versions of the Price is Right.

6.) Do something fresh. 
We're beginning to tire of the Mario/Metroid/Zelda tentpoles and countless Mario sports games.  Bring something new, creative and edgy to the system.  Re-engage old fans.  As gamers get older, they often feel that they 'outgrow' Nintendo.  Nintendo needs to become more relevant and Mario Tennis is not the way to do it.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 12:13:42 pm »
I think the worst thing they could do at this point is drop the Wii U. They would begin to loose consumer confidence much like Sega did with the rapid release of add-ons and systems. The only this they should be doing is focusing on their issue of marketing. Firstly the naming of console is pretty poor. A lot of people think its just a tablet or system update to the original Wii. They've failed on making the public aware of what the product actually is.
The same is true with the 3DS. I know people who still think its a DS with the a 3D display. In this example it doesn't help that everything previously had "DS" in the title. DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL. At least the 3DS is selling....
Putting Mario and other franchises on smartphones/tablets would be just as big of a mistake. That would directly compete with their own handheld systems. There would be no reason to buy the only hardware piece thats actually selling! Plus as a gamer I still feel that touch based controls are inferior to the tactile and precise controls of buttons.
I also agree with the notion of diversifying.  Casual and platform games are fine and dandy but they need to start appealing to other demographics. "Casual" gamers will buy the system and maybe a game or two while a "hardcore" gamer is much more likely to lay down the money on many games. 

blipcs76

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 12:45:00 pm »
Putting Mario and other franchises on smartphones/tablets would be just as big of a mistake. That would directly compete with their own handheld systems. There would be no reason to buy the only hardware piece thats actually selling! Plus as a gamer I still feel that touch based controls are inferior to the tactile and precise controls of buttons.

I agree that moving their games to mobile would be a huge mistake...however...it might be a smart move to create some small games they can use as strictly marketing pieces.  Crank out a Temple Run clone using Mario and put it out there for free and saturate it with ads for the Wii U and it's games.  As simple as running an ad between the title screen and when the game starts that can help to clarify what Wii U is and get some buzz going for it or help it reach a market that's ignorant about it.

soera

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 01:22:54 pm »
Ive mentioned it before and Ill say it here. The issue Nintendo has is its so stuck in that family gaming aspect. This is 2014 not 30 years ago when the NES was released. Kick these childish games to the curb and get with the program on the M rated games. Leave the touch/motion options to the casual bastards on the tablets, get some online options other than stupid Miis walking around talking to each other and bulk the hell up! Mario, Kirby, and Link have had their day. Let them retire and get on board with some fresh new faces.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 03:47:45 pm »
Ive mentioned it before and Ill say it here. The issue Nintendo has is its so stuck in that family gaming aspect. This is 2014 not 30 years ago when the NES was released. Kick these childish games to the curb and get with the program on the M rated games. Leave the touch/motion options to the casual bastards on the tablets, get some online options other than stupid Miis walking around talking to each other and bulk the hell up! Mario, Kirby, and Link have had their day. Let them retire and get on board with some fresh new faces.

I agree with all of that except the retiring Mario, Link, and Kirby.  They can still have those games, but don't hang your hat on them.  I'll still buy Mario, but I'd like some 3rd party stuff too.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 09:04:32 pm »
Nintendo is in an awkward position.  If they rush their next console to market, they're going to be out of sync with MS and Sony, as well as infuriate anyone who spent $300 on a Wii U.  They also already have flagship titles in development for Wii U, like Zelda.  Pushing new console now would be a mess.  Sega killed off their fan base by releasing upgrades too frequently (32x/Sega CD/etc.)

It's way too early to say the Wii U is a failure, as their biggest games are coming out later this year.  Here's what I would do to fix the situation if it were up to me:

1.) Aggressively court 2nd/3rd parties.
Lack of games is the biggest problem with this system.  They need more support.

2.) Launch a massive marketing campaign
People still don't know what Wii U is.

3.) Overhaul MiiPlaza.
It's cute, but seems really archaic compared to the MS/Sony interfaces.  Create a more modern interface and make Mii Plaza optional.

4.) Bring online functionality up to MS/Sony standards. 
Free online is a big selling point.

5.) Give up on casuals
It worked for you 7 years ago.  But casuals play games on their phones and tablets now and you have failed to move them to the Wii U.  You're not getting them back.  Gimmicks don't last, and it's core gamers who drive the industry, not moms playing Zumba fitness or shovelware versions of the Price is Right.

6.) Do something fresh. 
We're beginning to tire of the Mario/Metroid/Zelda tentpoles and countless Mario sports games.  Bring something new, creative and edgy to the system.  Re-engage old fans.  As gamers get older, they often feel that they 'outgrow' Nintendo.  Nintendo needs to become more relevant and Mario Tennis is not the way to do it.

blipcs76 for President (of Nintendo)!

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 11:25:40 pm »
I think I saw somewhere that Michael Pachter, said basically the same thing. In that Nintendo should drop the wii u and develop games on other consoles and smartphones and then seven years down the line release a new console, it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It would be insane to drop the wii u, like everyone else has said they'd lose consumer confidence. Nobody wants to spend 300 bucks on a worthless product... No irony intended, ha, but I think Nintendo just really needs to get games out there. They need something to sell the Wii U gamepad, that's their gimmick and they haven't been doing a good job on selling it. I don't think most people really truly care about superior graphics, people want something different and that's where Nintendo has an edge... But they aren't showing that, realistically I cant think of one worthwhile game that really utilizes the pad well and I don't see any coming out that have that either. I personally would love to see a new Metroid game that is third person one the TV and first person on the gamepad, kind of like Other M, but actually feel like a Metroid game. I also agree though too, they need new franchises

90snostalga

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 12:45:20 am »
I think I saw somewhere that Michael Pachter, said basically the same thing. In that Nintendo should drop the wii u and develop games on other consoles and smartphones and then seven years down the line release a new console, it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It would be insane to drop the wii u, like everyone else has said they'd lose consumer confidence. Nobody wants to spend 300 bucks on a worthless product... No irony intended, ha, but I think Nintendo just really needs to get games out there. They need something to sell the Wii U gamepad, that's their gimmick and they haven't been doing a good job on selling it. I don't think most people really truly care about superior graphics, people want something different and that's where Nintendo has an edge... But they aren't showing that, realistically I cant think of one worthwhile game that really utilizes the pad well and I don't see any coming out that have that either. I personally would love to see a new Metroid game that is third person one the TV and first person on the gamepad, kind of like Other M, but actually feel like a Metroid game. I also agree though too, they need new franchises

I talked to a lady at Gamestop today and I asked her about her experience with trying to sell the Wii U to customers, and she said the biggest issue she has came across, is parents not wanting to spend 300 on a console that they do not sell the gamepad individually for if their kids break it.  She said most parents are assuming that they would have to spend 300 to replace the gamepad itself so they refuse to buy the wii u.  She said now, they only push the ps4, xbox one and no longer push the wii u

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 12:53:34 am »
Oh, I wanted to mention I did my first pre-order ever!  I pre-ordered Mario Kart for the "U" today  :D

karyann

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:23:52 am »
I talked to a lady at Gamestop today and I asked her about her experience with trying to sell the Wii U to customers, and she said the biggest issue she has came across, is parents not wanting to spend 300 on a console that they do not sell the gamepad individually for if their kids break it.  She said most parents are assuming that they would have to spend 300 to replace the gamepad itself so they refuse to buy the wii u.  She said now, they only push the ps4, xbox one and no longer push the wii u

Wow, that sucks. It's completely unfair to stop promoting a console just in case some damn kid breaks shit up. And the gamepad is actually pretty sturdy, too.

I understand some kids are more... "hyper" than others, and that some parents really prefer not to take a chance, but for stores to stop promoting the console because of that... it's just so stupid. There are a lot of grown adult who would enjoy the Wii U and not break it, and they won't be aware it exists because of that? Meh  :-\

90snostalga

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 01:52:41 pm »

Wow, that sucks. It's completely unfair to stop promoting a console just in case some damn kid breaks shit up. And the gamepad is actually pretty sturdy, too.

I understand some kids are more... "hyper" than others, and that some parents really prefer not to take a chance, but for stores to stop promoting the console because of that... it's just so stupid. There are a lot of grown adult who would enjoy the Wii U and not break it, and they won't be aware it exists because of that? Meh  :-\

Yea.  The gamepad is very sturdy but I can understand there is a lot of kids with games and systems that do not know how to take care of them, and parents of those kids who dont care to monitor what their kids are doing and how they treat their game systems.  I have some family members in that category.  They would be quick to buy a 50 dollar controller for christmas but pretty sure not a gamepad if it really cost over 100. 

And like she was just saying so many people have a 360 or ps3 so its easier to push their newer consoles, and that most with a wii, are going in for 3ds games.  Like other than Mario for example, she does not have any games to basically try to sell someone for the wii u. 

Nintendo just needs get some games out!  When I got my star wars 360 console last week from gamestop, I had a conversation with the guy and I asked him if he had a wii u and he said no.  I asked him why and he said quote "tell me what games on the wii u are worth me getting the system for?"  and then he said the only reason he would buy a wii u is for the zelda game.  He said mario kart, mario, smash bros. and all that are not convincing enough for him to get the system. 

I guess we all know that the Wii U current failure results from multiple reasons but mainly:  marketing (people dont really know what the wii u is) and no games for it.  It's up to Nintendo to get some third and first party games out for it and promote their product a heck of a lot better than what they have.  If it was not for vgcollect, I would not have gotten one.  I'm really starting to see the problems NIntendo is creating for itself.    I wish we could all submit them our ideas and concerns but not sure if they would actually read their emails?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 01:56:10 pm by 90snostalga »

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 02:06:33 pm »
I do know that when I complete Mass Effect 1 and 2, I'm going to play the 3rd one on the Wii U  :)

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 06:44:45 pm »
The best advice I've heard for Nintendo is to sell the WiiU without the Gamepad. Nintendo states this is $100 dollars of the cost. So, here are the benefits:

WiiU $199

" 'nuff said" quoth Stan Lee.

Then sell the gamepad separately. This allows for increased consumer confidence. This comes from knowing that replaceable hardware is found with the Gamepad sold separately. Without the gamepad, there should be no loss in gameplay. Since the gamepad can act as the only screen while the television is used to watch TV. This implies that two screens are not actually needed.

Make the 3DS + circle pad pro be a possible gamepad.

I would totally buy a $199 WiiU. I've owned every Nintendo console except WiiU and 3DS. And believe me, every day I am just a inch away from starting a Nintendo collection. $199 for a system that has Wonderful 101, Bayonetta, Sonic, Mario, Zelda... OMG I couldn't take it anymore.

Or... at least I say... my suspicion is that most WiiU purchasers are like me 2 years ago. Older and not enjoying the same stuff as much as I thought I did. I loved the Wii. I loved Mario Galaxy. But I only played it for about 2 hours. This was my average time on most Wii games. I found myself playing NES and SNES games instead. I have a suspicion that Nintendo's audience is actually aging. I think kids are the main players, but not the main demographic for the original purchase. http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/wii-u/age_of_wii_u_owners (synopsis of link: Lots of people in their 20s and 30s)

As a former teacher, kids never mentioned Nintendo. In elementary school, a few kids would have DSs. This was not many though. In middle school, I never heard Nintendo once. I wonder if the company really is too kid-centric. Or if they are just old hat. I wonder if it's audience is slowly aging and slowly moving on. And honestly, that kind of makes me sad.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 06:55:54 pm »
Selling it without the GamePad is a terrible idea, I think. That would suck to buy the entire system, get it home, then realize you have to buy another $100 worth of equipment to be able to use it properly. That would feel like Nintendo was gouging you and forcing you to go out and buy more stuff.

Selling Gamepad's separately (and getting one with your system) would work just fine. Controllers are sold with systems, and sold separately as well.