Author Topic: Sonic Xtreme for Sega Saturn  (Read 926 times)

90snostalga

Sonic Xtreme for Sega Saturn
« on: February 03, 2014, 07:12:07 pm »
So I have been under a rock for way too long with my Sega knowledge.  I just recently found out that there was a cancelled Sonic game for the Saturn called "Sonic Xtreme" which was a 3D platformer to compete with Mario 64 and Crash Bandicoot.  I am wondering, does anyone know if any bootleg cd consists of the game that can be played on a saturn, also, if this game did get released, do you think it would have been a huge success for the Saturn? 

Gameplay footage is in the videos below:

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Sonic Xtreme for Sega Saturn
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2014, 07:27:51 pm »
There's a lot of different stuff out there, actually, of 3D stuff Sega played with on Saturn. There were a few different ideas they were juggling. But instead, we ended up with Sonic R. I don't know what they were thinking with that one.

But that first video; I'm questioning that it's actual Saturn gameplay footage. The reason being is that the transparency effect actually works really well when that wall goes out of view so you can see Sonic inside the mountain-side. The Saturn was TERRIBLE at transparency effects.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 11:43:10 pm »
I've seen multiple videos of Sonic Xtreme, and I personally think it looked really cool... If those are in fact real, however, I don't think it would have done well against Mario and Crash. Those games changed everything

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 05:10:51 pm »
Yea, I know Crash is very strong and looks a lot better but I believe that due to the high popularity of Sonic and Sega at the time, I do think if It was released in time for Christmas of that year, It would have competed for a good while.  I used to play Sonic 3D Blast on the Saturn and I thought it was great as a kid.  I did not even realize then that the graphics were not up to par.