Author Topic: Option to enlarge Boxart?  (Read 1610 times)

Option to enlarge Boxart?
« on: February 04, 2014, 12:40:38 am »
Hey guys, I've noticed that after we include games to the database they instantly get shrunk down to fit inside one of the 3 boxes (front, back and cd/cartridge). What I was thinking is maybe we should keep the original dimensions of the image and allow users to view them in there original size once they click on them. You would of course still keep the thumbnails in the 3 squares, but the option to enlarge the pictures would allow people to use this site as a reference for finding boxarts for hard to find games.

Of course with that being said it would take up alot of space on the servers for all the pictures, and it's a bit late to implement a feature like this now seeing how many category's are already done. Just a thought  8)

Re: Option to enlarge Boxart?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 05:31:10 pm »
agreed

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 02:55:32 pm »
I like the idea, too.

matt

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:46:08 pm »
I also like the idea and will be working on something.

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 12:53:20 pm »
Does the site keep the original resolution images that are uploaded?

matt

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 12:57:27 pm »
Does the site keep the original resolution images that are uploaded?

As of right now it does not...but I'm hoping to change that today. If nothing else we can start storing them while I plan exactly how to use em.

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2018, 01:13:13 pm »
I know it is a pretty old topic but i was wondering what happend with this suggestion.

I am a big fan of your site and I love old Boxarts. I would love to contribute scans of my collection but if you cannot read the back of the boxes it is pretty much meaningless.

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2018, 03:24:10 pm »
I'm maybe part of the minority here but i like it the way it is, if we had high quality scan for every item in our database i think it would take a lot of space on the server and maybe we would have to create limits of what we can add in the database (like maybe only one variant by system or maybe only games, like almost all the video games collecting sites that exist), for now it's the only database that exist (at least the only one that i know) where we can add anything and everything related to video games (consoles, accessories, official guides, movies, phone cards... you name it, if it exist you can add it  8)) and i wouldn't want that to change.

One other reason is that there is already pretty good alternative where we can add high quality scan of our games, personally i'm currently scanning them all again and i will start to add them on MobyGames now that they removed their awful watermark system.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 03:28:50 pm by metshael »

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 03:01:28 pm »
This is something I would love to have. I find it extremely unsatisfying not being able to read the text on the images uploaded. I currently use GameFAQs for my game collection and they contain a great many high quality high resolution scans. But sadly they do not allow accessories or peripherals.

I hate to say it, but if this was implemented 4 years ago when it was suggested this site would be far better off than it is now.

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 10:50:55 am »
Gamefaqs is OK but they are not accurate. They have many stock photos and often have the wrong back images for EU games.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 01:03:27 pm »
Gamefaqs is OK but they are not accurate. They have many stock photos and often have the wrong back images for EU games.

Hmm, i see that here also. Its usually people who use those Gamefaqs picture here. But i do remember a incident where i try to change something to make it right got denied. So every site has its .....

tripredacus

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 10:27:52 am »

Hmm, i see that here also. Its usually people who use those Gamefaqs picture here. But i do remember a incident where i try to change something to make it right got denied. So every site has its .....

Stock photos are ok here to have something rather than nothing... with exception to those ones with the missing barcode. I recall in your post you linked to an image with a watermark and didn't link to one without... BUT as I said then, I didn't see that edit so I could only go by what you had posted in the forum.  ::)