Author Topic: Platform Standardization Discussion  (Read 2371 times)

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

Platform Standardization Discussion
« on: February 13, 2014, 01:08:17 am »
Not sure if there is a way for an admin to merge pertinent data from the "Dreamcast Category?" thread, but I started this new topic so we could continue discussion on standardizing the platforms used in the database.

Some ideas I have read so far:

1. Use the production company's name before the console name for all consoles (Nintendo Entertainment System) (Nintendo Family Computer)
2. Remove the production company's name from all consoles (Entertainment System) (Family Computer)
3. Use the marketed name for the console (Nintendo Entertainment System) OR (NES) / (Family Computer) OR (FAMICOM)

My opinion (this is probably dreaming big) is that there would be categories by manufacturer that then show subcategories of their consoles. Or my other idea would be to categorize systems by their generation or years active. This somewhat avoids any naming confusion since there are other variables you are using to associate the system with.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

Re: Platform Standardization Discussion
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 01:16:10 am »
The most ideal method, in my opinion, would be by manufacturer, and then by generation.

matt

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:20:45 am »
I'll be curious as to how this unfolds. When starting the site, I would usually use wikipedia to find the actual registered name of the product. For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dreamcast

Please keep in mind that we could also make some changes to the browse page to sort things. I think my early vote would be to add a manufacturer field to the database which would allow us to keep official names as well as sort by manufacturer.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:04:28 am »
Matt - thanks for considering any changes that are agreed upon. This site is already amazing so I won't be upset if it doesn't get changed.

I agree with your early vote. :)

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 02:34:47 pm »
Ok - I gave it one day short of a year.

Really no one else cares about this issue other than Exonerator?

This continually drives me insane on a daily basis. When I go to browse I never know where I am going to find the console I am looking for.

Will it have "Nintendo" in the name or not (Nintendo Entertainment System, Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Gameboy)

I understand the concern because then are we going to change all Playstation categories to Sony Playstation or Xbox to Microsoft Xbox.

Maybe we could at least take certain manufacturers and decide if they will be labeled or not. Such as making all Nintendo products labeled with the name or having it removed.

I do appreciate that "Sega" was added to all of their systems last year!

psydswipe

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 03:21:26 pm »

It doesn't really bother me but if it were my database I'd use the official names of each system, so company name in there if that's the way it is supposed to be. I'm not sure about alphabetizing or going by year of release. When I look at the list I'm more distracted by the fact that the left column doesn't line up at least closely to the bottom of the right column  ;) That right side sure is a lot longer.

By the way, if you were to go by official names it might make sense to rename the Atari 2600 since that wasn't its first name. It's certainly the most widely used name but if it was switched the original name (Atari Video Computer System or Atari VCS) and alphabetized then it would be at the very bottom of the Atari system list.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 03:39:19 pm »
I re-read my post and it sounds kinda angry. It definitely wasn't my attention. I know you weren't claiming it was angry - I just noticed it when reading it again.  ;D

Speaking of official names - NES and SNES fall under this discussion too.

The Atari naming doesn't bother me as much since Atari branded the VCS as the 2600 after the 5200 was released. Maybe VCS should be added to the console name though.

It would be like calling the 5200 - Advanced Video Entertainment System

I also think generation or chronological organization would be nice in the browsing section. Maybe you could browse by name, generation, or chronological. This might be a mess to program though. 

It doesn't really bother me but if it were my database I'd use the official names of each system, so company name in there if that's the way it is supposed to be. I'm not sure about alphabetizing or going by year of release. When I look at the list I'm more distracted by the fact that the left column doesn't line up at least closely to the bottom of the right column  ;) That right side sure is a lot longer.

By the way, if you were to go by official names it might make sense to rename the Atari 2600 since that wasn't its first name. It's certainly the most widely used name but if it was switched the original name (Atari Video Computer System or Atari VCS) and alphabetized then it would be at the very bottom of the Atari system list.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 04:29:29 pm »
This bothers the heck out of me. I know its technically just Dreamcast but I always call it Sega Dreamcast. I would love the option more than anything else.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 04:55:23 pm »
I asked for it to be updated to Sega Dreamcast last February and they were nice enough to update it. When I would look at my collection it always bugged me before. Now I have a hard time when I see GameCube, Game Boy, Wii on their lonesome, but DS is classified as Nintendo (there are many more Nintendo examples)

Just looking for standardization. I blame it on my aspergers.

This bothers the heck out of me. I know its technically just Dreamcast but I always call it Sega Dreamcast. I would love the option more than anything else.

mrnikon

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 10:08:54 am »
Not sure if there is a way for an admin to merge pertinent data from the "Dreamcast Category?" thread, but I started this new topic so we could continue discussion on standardizing the platforms used in the database.

Some ideas I have read so far:

1. Use the production company's name before the console name for all consoles (Nintendo Entertainment System) (Nintendo Family Computer)
2. Remove the production company's name from all consoles (Entertainment System) (Family Computer)
3. Use the marketed name for the console (Nintendo Entertainment System) OR (NES) / (Family Computer) OR (FAMICOM)

My opinion (this is probably dreaming big) is that there would be categories by manufacturer that then show subcategories of their consoles. Or my other idea would be to categorize systems by their generation or years active. This somewhat avoids any naming confusion since there are other variables you are using to associate the system with.

I like option 3 the best. or someway to organize them by what they are most commonly called. For me growing up a NES was just simply a Nintendo. A SNES was just a Super Nintendo. However Sega Genesis was still called a Sega Genesis.

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 10:30:50 am »
Something like this should happen to left side bar. Right now mine reads like this:
Atari
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
GameCube
NES/Famicom
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Other
Other
PC
PlayStation
Super Nintendo/Super Famicom
Swag
Wii
Wii U
Xbox 360

Obviously it's arranged alphabetically, but wouldn't it make more sense to organized it by manufacture and generation/release? (And maybe even partition the handhelds too.)
So instead my collection could look like this:

Atari
Game Boy   <--- Handhelds first or last, doesn't matter
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 3DS
NES/Famicom
Super NES/SFC  <--- Simpler title possibility?
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii
Wii U
Nintendo Other   <---generic cat. near bottom of company section
PC
PlayStation
Xbox 360
Other   <--- Near bottom because it's a generic cat
Swag   <--- Swag or non-gaming items last because it's not that high of a priority to most.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 10:55:42 am »
Something like this should happen to left side bar. Right now mine reads like this:
Atari
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
GameCube
NES/Famicom
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Other
Other
PC
PlayStation
Swag
Wii
Wii U
Xbox 360

Obviously it's arranged alphabetically, but wouldn't it make more sense to organized it by manufacture and generation/release? (And maybe even partition the handhelds too.)

Atari
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 3DS
NES/Famicom
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii
Wii U
PC
PlayStation
Xbox 360
Swag   <--- Swag or non-gaming items last because it's not that high of a priority to most.

Agreed,

Things not being in chronological order really bugs me too.

mrnikon

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 11:30:23 am »
Atari
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
GameCube
NES/Famicom
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo 64
Nintendo DS
Nintendo Other
Other
PC
PlayStation
Swag
Wii
Wii U
Xbox 360

Atari
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Nintendo DS
Nintendo 3DS
NES/Famicom
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii
Wii U
PC
PlayStation
Xbox 360
Well I think FC and SFC and other imports should be in a category of their own. Since there are different variations  from the NA or European release at times.

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 12:23:11 pm »
Well I think FC and SFC and other imports should be in a category of their own. Since there are different variations  from the NA or European release at times.

They are in they're own sub-categories at least  ;). (These could be re-organized as well.)
I don't really follow the logic of pairing NA and EU but not Japan. A region is a region. Technologically they're the same machine and they're libraries are very similar too. Additionally to further complicate things the Super Nintendo in Europe had the same case as the Super Famicom.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:38:54 pm by badATchaos »

argyle

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2015, 01:13:44 am »

They are in they're own sub-categories at least  ;). (These could be re-organized as well.)
I don't really follow the logic of pairing NA and EU but not Japan. A region is a region. Technologically they're the same machine and they're libraries are very similar too. Additionally to further complicate things the Super Nintendo in Europe had the same case as the Super Famicom.

This reminds me of something that may make Matt ban me just for suggesting. :P

I would love the ability to view custom lists. One example that you reminded me of is I'd like to be able to view one list of all of my PS2 games, whether they are imports or not just to have my full collection viewable.

I'd also like a tree that sprouts $100 bills, so I'm definitely used to not getting what I want. ;)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis