Author Topic: TurboDuo/Grafx16/CD Attachment?  (Read 2026 times)

90snostalga

TurboDuo/Grafx16/CD Attachment?
« on: February 21, 2014, 03:37:41 pm »
I'm thinking about getting a Turbo grafx with some tax money and been looking on Ebay and the net.  I see that the TurboDuo is pretty expensive itself; however, so is it to buy the individual turbografx 16 and the cd attachment and then you have to buy a cd card with it.  As far as quality and durability, anyone with knowledge of a turbo grafx, would you recommend to just buy the turboduo system instead?  Also, do you need the card with the duo, or any other attachments?  Thanks
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:48:40 pm by 90snostalga »

Re: TurboDuo/Grafx16/CD Attachment?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 07:44:26 pm »
The TurboDuo is the vastly superior to a TurboGrafx-CD add-on in every possible way. The TGCD is plagued by faulty lasers and broken servo gears. The Duo isn't without its own issues with failing capacitors and audio amp issues, but these issues are still far less common than those of the TGCD. IMO to realize the full potential of the console the best combination would be a PCEngineDuo/Duo-R /Duo-RX with a region mod. The Duo-R and Duo-RX are the most reliable of the Duo units. With a PCEngineDuo you can now also access all CD games with the inclusion of a Arcade Pro System card not to mention the massive Japanese library of games. The PCEngineDuo's are far more common therefore quite a bit cheaper. 

If you are one of those types that doesn't like tampering with the original hardware then go for a TurboDuo > TurboGrafx-CD. If it doesnt matter and you just want to play great games go with a modded PCEngineDuo model.

The TurboDuo and PCEngineDuo have System Card 3 built in so no additional System Card is required unless you want to play the Arcade Super CD's (require an Arcade Pro Card which had extra RAM onboard)  or Games Express CD's (crappy 3rd party unofficial games), both of which require a PCEngine since you need a JP HuCard, unless modded. The CD's are region free, so outside of the few Arcade Super CD's and Games Express CD's all other US and Japanese CD games will work without a mod. A TurboTap is needed to play multiplayer games since the console only sports one controller input. Also the Duo's use the PCEngine style controller connector so TurboGrafx-16 controllers will not work without an adapter.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 08:02:56 pm by pceslayer »

90snostalga

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 08:15:55 pm »
The TurboDuo is the vastly superior to a TurboGrafx-CD add-on in every possible way. The TGCD is plagued by faulty lasers and broken servo gears. The Duo isn't without its own issues with failing capacitors and audio amp issues, but these issues are still far less common than those of the TGCD. IMO to realize the full potential of the console the best combination would be a PCEngineDuo/Duo-R /Duo-RX with a region mod. The Duo-R and Duo-RX are the most reliable of the Duo units. With a PCEngineDuo you can now also access all CD games with the inclusion of a Arcade Pro System card not to mention the massive Japanese library of games. The PCEngineDuo's are far more common therefore quite a bit cheaper. 

If you are one of those types that doesn't like tampering with the original hardware then go for a TurboDuo > TurboGrafx-CD. If it doesnt matter and you just want to play great games go with a modded PCEngineDuo model.

The TurboDuo and PCEngineDuo have System Card 3 built in so no additional System Card is required unless you want to play the Arcade Super CD's (require an Arcade Pro Card which had extra RAM onboard)  or Games Express CD's (crappy 3rd party unofficial games), both of which require a PCEngine since you need a JP HuCard, unless modded. The CD's are region free, so outside of the few Arcade Super CD's and Games Express CD's all other US and Japanese CD games will work without a mod. A TurboTap is needed to play multiplayer games since the console only sports one controller input. Also the Duo's use the PCEngine style controller connector so TurboGrafx-16 controllers will not work without an adapter.

Thanks for the description.  I'm still a little confused.  I want to be able to play regular Turbo CD and the HuCard games, so If I get the cheaper PC Engine (Japanese) version, is there any mode required to play American Hu Card games?

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:28:25 pm »
Yes a region mod would be needed to play US HuCards on a PCEngineDuo. The modchip is relatively cheap and can be found over in the pcenginefx.com mod/repair forums.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 05:00:32 am »
If you don't feel like modding, you can get the PCengine Duo R/RX for playing everything but American Hu-cards, then just pickup a cheap US Turbo Grafx system for around $50 for just playing your American Hu-cards.

just some food for thought  :)

- Retromangia

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 06:40:51 am »
I've never had any issues with my Turbo with the cd attachment, but it's not my "go-to" system anyways, if you are looking at difference with price, unfortunately the turbo, with cd attachment and the "super system card" needed to play the better games, are about the same price if not more expensive...
P.S. I've got a standard Turbografx for sale right now, P.M. if interested