Author Topic: Best Horror Games on Ps2  (Read 3644 times)

Best Horror Games on Ps2
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:35:14 pm »
Today is Halloween and why not make a little top ten of my fav horror games on one of my fav consoles: the ps2. I will only mention the games that I played because, maybe, I left out one or other because I never had the experience with it. Also I will post the bad and the good thing for each one. I will like that you guys post yours top ten and share the experience here on the forum

10. Haunting ground: I get really disappoint with this game. Everyone was talking: hey this game is a really good horror game, yes a hidden gem, etc etc, and for me isnt. Is adventure puzzle game that you are with a dog that sometimes a "monster" is chasing you, but you really dont get scare about it. You are ok, I need to hide now because you cant fight back, but not because you are scare. Also, doesnt have anything of horror ambiance, in fact and shitty over rated for a horror game. If you are looking to play a horror game this isnt your game.

9. Siren: It have a great potential to be a good horrifying game because have everything, ambiance, sounds etc but the story and controls are horrible. I really dont like that part of the game and to be true I get bored playing it.

8. Obscure: Have some horror elements but the game is more like a beat'em up. Is cool because you can play it coop campaign and beat everything with a bat or a gun xD. But sadly it never got me scare or that felling you are playing a scare game.

7. Silen Hill 4: The best silent hill that I really like. It have horror themes on it but isnt as horrifying like silent hill 2. I never experience jumpscares playing it but I really loved the story, the gameplay and everything.

6. Echo Night Beyond: Really good game. The puzzles and everything, I love it. Have jumpscares but the ambiance on it is not for a horror game (comparing with the next ones). But the story and puzzles on it will get you engaged on it. I actually playing it so maybe its position change xD

5. Resident Evil 2: when I was a kid and I played this game I had nightmares with it xD, zombies everywhere xD. I really love resident evil 2 for the fact that have creepy zombies and real zombies on it, not like the new zombies of this era (example left 4 dead). The puzzles I love it, the only thing to complain is the bad controls on the characters, when you need to aim etc. ALso, I cant put it in a better place in this top ten because the only thing that makes it horror is the zombies and how its looks (is a shooter game) and comparing with other ones... well you will see.

4. Kuon: Is like fatal frame, horrifying and creepy ambiance  that it have.  The only thing that I have to complain about it is the graphics, for my likes, are not too good for ps2 game and also that you can get lost when you are playing the game (I will not spoil anything). The first time I played I said wtf is happening where I go, but for the reason that is like fatal frame (the ambiance and stuff) was the reason to continue playing.

3. Rule of rose: Really good game with a lot of creepy monsters, horrifying and really creepy story that will let you play the whole game to know  what is happening. The ambiance of this game is really good that make you feel that you are playing a horror game. The bad thing about this game is the dam combat system, is really bad and frustrating,  but trust me the story and the ambiance of the game will get you so engaged on it that you will forget about how bad is the controls on it.

2. Silent Hill 2: Fantastic game, for me the most horrifying of the silent hill series. This game have psychological horror on it, so trust me you will want to shut the dam game off. The story is good and the gameplay as well. For me, if you want to play one silent hill start for this one because will give you a really good experience.

1. Fatal Frame Series: I put all three games on number 1 because is the best horror games series that I ever played. The crappiest  story (the rituals and that stuff) the ambiance of the game that you can feel your are playing something that can be real and with this I mean the sound effects on house, when you are walking, the sighs, everything. And the jump scares, wow (dam ghosts). The best thing of this game is the psychological horror of it. To be true, I never finished the first one (back then) because was so scary for me that I was having nightmares and hearing things. The best of the best, if you want to sh*** your pants play this game and then you will know how a horror game must be.

Re: Best Horror Games on Ps2
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 08:55:00 pm »
Very cool, but where is Silent Hill 3?!

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 08:07:52 am »
sadly, I dont beat silent hill 3 and isnt fair to judge it without beat the game. However, as far I played the game was creepy as heel xD and really good. For me is equal and maybe better than silent hill 2 but again I need to play it again. Same thing with Shatered memories (i think it's name) that I started to played long time ago but never finished it, and for me wasnt a good one. Right now I'm playing silent hill downpour and is a good game but I dont know isnt creepy like the old ones, same thing with homecoming, for me the worst one of the series. The first one, well was good but for me comes after 2,3 and 4.

azure

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 02:31:03 pm »
Great list, don't forget about Alone in the Dark. And while were at it just throw in Luigi's Mansion too xD

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 10:50:45 am »
10. The Thing
9. Primal
8. Devil May Cry
7. Silent Hill 3
6. Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
5. Cold Fear
4. Evil Dead Regeneration
3. Onimusha Warlords
2. Resident Evil 4
1. Silent Hill 2

Side Note: I have not played the Fatal Frame games, Clock Tower 3, or The Suffering games though I do plan to eventually play CT3 & Fatal Frame 2 as I own both games. Also you guys might find this site (http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sony/ps2/the-playstation-2-ps2-survival-horror-library) interesting if you are looking to find out about some PS2 horror games you haven't played, but I should warn you that a some of the games mentioned were only released in Japan or Europe.   

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 10:33:57 pm »
on the wii they make fatal frame 1 and 2 but both are Japaneses, so maybe you will need to mod your wii and play a modded copy with translation on it (like fatal frame 4). But good choice there :)

devindenver

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 04:08:23 am »
That list is extremely solid.

10. Resident Evil 4
9. Clock Tower 3
8. Obscure
7. Silent Hill 3
6. Fatal Frame 3
5. Silent Hill 4
4. Fatal Frame
3. Rule of Rose
2. Fatal Frame 2
1. Silent Hill 2

It was so hard to decide whether FF2 or SH2 was going to be number 1. Both are fantastic games but, due to my love for Silent Hill, particularly 2, I had to give it number one. Now if it was scariest games ever, Fatal Frame 4 for Wii would have taken the cake followed by SH2.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 09:03:08 am »
Weren't any of the "Kain" games on the PS2?

Also, Shadow Hearts (the 1st two, at least) might be considered 'Borderline' Horror RPG's...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

scott

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 01:20:20 pm »
Ya there were some Legacy of Kain games on PS2, I think there were a couple Kain ones and Soul Reaver 2? Not sure.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 03:48:34 pm »
Yes they are but I tried to put the best horror experience that you can get. Legacy of kain is more adventure than horror same like shadow hearts that focus more on the rpg style.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 04:05:22 pm »
Yes they are but I tried to put the best horror experience that you can get. Legacy of kain is more adventure than horror same like shadow hearts that focus more on the rpg style.

That's true.

Really, the prequel to Shadow Hearts (Koudelka) was the closest to a horror game -but- then again, that was on the PS1...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"