Author Topic: Gaming Laptop Windows8 Disaster  (Read 3468 times)

90snostalga

Gaming Laptop Windows8 Disaster
« on: February 25, 2014, 04:36:06 am »
Got my gaming laptop 2 days ago brand new which is pre installed with Windows 8.  I'm learning this could be the worst thing for games.  So far the laptop has been completely useless for me.  I have not gotten a single game to play.  Every one gives me the error "cannot run in 64 bit, requires 32 bit"  .  I tried to download Windows Virtual PC from Microsoft's website and all available downloads give me an error.  I downloaded Virtual Box and it downloaded fine; however, trying to install Windows XP as a virtual pc has been a disaster.  It gets stuck in a (2/2) 20 percent screen and literally does not move over 20 minutes.  I still have an install CD of Windows XP from my old computer.  Is there a way for me to install Windows XP on my laptop and essentially have 2 operating systems to toggle between?  Is there any way for me to play older games with this, or am I completely out of luck and should get away from pc gaming completely?  Thanks for any help or input...

ffxik

Re: Gaming Laptop Windows8 Disaster
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 07:07:08 am »
As far as I know the product key that is assigned to each disc is only good for one computer.  I'm not to sure that it can be transferred from one to the other.  To answer your question though.  Yes,  installing multiple OS's and choosing which OS you wish to use is possible.  It's called dual booting and it's not that hard to pull off.   ;D

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:33:50 am »
As far as I know the product key that is assigned to each disc is only good for one computer.  I'm not to sure that it can be transferred from one to the other.  To answer your question though.  Yes,  installing multiple OS's and choosing which OS you wish to use is possible.  It's called dual booting and it's not that hard to pull off.   ;D

Can you install XP on a 64-bit system. That could be the problem.

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 09:53:25 am »
there is a xp version for 64 bits and yes you can install any OS on any computer (apple os is a little difficult to do but isnt worth because dont run that well). If the game is pop up the 32 bit extention is because maybe you need to download something you are missing, like direct x or other package (like net framework, visual C++, etc). Try to google it because 64bits system are able to run any 32 bit application/game because it have the same folder and drivers (x86 folder is for 32 bit app)

tripredacus

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 11:57:17 am »

Actually for Windows 8 the Product Key is in the BIOS. Now, dual booting on Win8 can be an issue for a variety of reasons. First is that you'll need to manually edit the BCD to enable the boot menu, or else Win8 won't be bootable. Also notebooks with Win8 now are running on UEFI 2.3.1 firmware, usually with SecureBoot enabled. You can't install Windows XP 32bit on that setting. If you disable UEFI, you won't be able to boot Windows 8 at all.

Do not use Windows XP 64bit for games. And do not use VMs for games that require any sort of video card, as the Hypervisor provides a generic one.

What is the game you are trying to play?

90snostalga

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:08:17 pm »

Actually for Windows 8 the Product Key is in the BIOS. Now, dual booting on Win8 can be an issue for a variety of reasons. First is that you'll need to manually edit the BCD to enable the boot menu, or else Win8 won't be bootable. Also notebooks with Win8 now are running on UEFI 2.3.1 firmware, usually with SecureBoot enabled. You can't install Windows XP 32bit on that setting. If you disable UEFI, you won't be able to boot Windows 8 at all.

Do not use Windows XP 64bit for games. And do not use VMs for games that require any sort of video card, as the Hypervisor provides a generic one.

What is the game you are trying to play?

I've tried several games.  None within a year old.  I've tried Need for speed III, Oregon Trail (windows 95 version), Fable, basically most of them from the 95, 98 and windows 2000 era.     You're right tho'.  I've tried and tried and on Widows 8, there is no way to boot from a second operating system or even install it for that matter.  It sucks because I wanted to play old and new games but Microsoft has made that impossible.  Even using the compatibility thing where you select the version of windows does not even work.  Each time I load a game from the compatibility change, it gives me an error saying the files for the game are corrupted.  It's stupid.  This is one reason I will never get an Xbox One because I cannot stand Microsoft.

90snostalga

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 02:10:51 pm »
If I had the money I would go get some brand new game like Battlefield 4 or something just to try out and see if I have any problem playing new games as well.

matt

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 02:15:02 pm »
Something else is definitely wrong. You should have no issues running 32-bit software on a 64-bit OS.

90snostalga

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 03:04:55 pm »
Something else is definitely wrong. You should have no issues running 32-bit software on a 64-bit OS.

You would think but even on Microsofts website for troubleshooting, it even states that Windows 8 64 bit does not support 32bit. 

thecrypticodor

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2014, 03:51:28 pm »
Xstonekinghtx is right you may not have needed net framework updates try doing a Windows update if you haven't. MS usually dulls them out among any other updates you may also need. You also have to have Direct X installed or most games will not work.

Also someone correct me if I'm wrong. Aren't even the newest CPU's/computer builds still able to run 32bit OS's. A 32bit OS just isn't able to use recognize any more than 3.5/4 GB ram
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 03:53:34 pm by thecrypticodor »

90snostalga

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 04:51:53 pm »
I appreciate all the feedback but I have Direct X and that does not do it.  The essential problem is that older games are mean for 32bit operating systems and Windows 8 is 64 bit and are completely incompatible, even according to Microsfts website.  I guess its like getting an Xbox One thinking you can play original Xbox games on it.  Just does not work.  My only solution would be to get another computer or laptop with an older version of Windows already installed. 

I only asked about installing XP on my laptop as well, because when I used to fix computers back in the early to mid 2000s, I would install multiple Windows operating systems on one computer.  You just change the boot disk from the pc motherboard start up and do it.  Each time you start the pc, you can manual select which version of Windows you can open your pc with.  With Windows 8, I find this impossible.  It completely bypasses any boot options and goes straight to Windows very quickly.  It would be so much convenience just to install any game disc and go, but it appears that it does not work this way so I'm still debating on returning my 1300 dollar laptop because this is a big deal for me.

thecrypticodor

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 05:55:53 pm »
Bummer I'd just upgrade down to Win7 and use Virtual box for older Windows OS's. I'm running a 64bit linux distro and even I can run a lot of old 32 bit windows programs and games under wine. :P

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 07:10:09 pm »
Bummer I'd just upgrade down to Win7 and use Virtual box for older Windows OS's. I'm running a 64bit linux distro and even I can run a lot of old 32 bit windows programs and games under wine. :P

I'm just going to return this thing.  It has given me nothing but stress and head ache after head ache.  I have been up for almost 2 days straight since I got this trying to figure this out.  I finally got one game to actually begin the installation process which is "Divine Divinity"; however, after 70 percent it ejects the install disc 1 and wants me to pu in install disc 2.  When I do, the laptop literally freezes in place and I have to do task manager to close out the installation set up window.  This also happened earlier with another disc.  It's not meant for me.  I thought I have always wanted to do gaming on the pc but I have learned the hard way this week, that's its nothing but a head ache.  you cannot just put in the game like on a console and start playing

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 08:31:17 pm »
Wow.  I tried one last game and I got Fable The Lost Chapters to install.  Having trouble setting all the buttons to work on a 360 controller but I don't get it.  FAble installed fine, everything else crap

90snostalga

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 01:47:46 am »
Found a solution.  I stole a pc from my kids setup that has Windows XP on it.  I hooked it up nice and neat as possible with my gaming laptop and I just use both monitors and install the older games on it.  Now I've got to get a new pc or laptop for the kids lol.