Author Topic: CPU identified incorrectly  (Read 1672 times)

90snostalga

CPU identified incorrectly
« on: March 09, 2014, 01:24:06 pm »
I found a perfect computer with Windows 98 on it for me to use as a Windows 98 gaming computer.  It's a Pionex computer that I need to do just a little bit of work on.  Anyways, the sticker on the front of the tower says "Intel Pentium III".  At the startup on the BIOS screen, it says "Pentium III".  When I go to "My Computer" properties, it says "Pentium II" CPU.  Does anyone know why or if this actually effects anything?  If I run a game, does the game go off the Pentium III processor or a II? 

P.S. This is Windows 98 first edition on here if that helps.

htimreimer

Re: CPU identified incorrectly
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 05:15:42 pm »
I found a perfect computer with Windows 98 on it for me to use as a Windows 98 gaming computer.  It's a Pionex computer that I need to do just a little bit of work on.  Anyways, the sticker on the front of the tower says "Intel Pentium III".  At the startup on the BIOS screen, it says "Pentium III".  When I go to "My Computer" properties, it says "Pentium II" CPU.  Does anyone know why or if this actually effects anything?  If I run a game, does the game go off the Pentium III processor or a II? 

P.S. This is Windows 98 first edition on here if that helps.
the was pentium 3 released about early 1999 and windows 98 FE was released in 1998, so the only way you can fix this ether

a: find the one official update that can fix this (good luck with that, i have tried and fail)
b: upgrade to windows 98 SE because in was released 1999 and is more than likely compatible your pentium 3

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 05:40:33 pm »
I would also check the clock speed.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 06:11:30 pm »
shouldn't effect performance in the slightest.

90snostalga

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 02:04:50 am »
I think I may find a 98 second edition upgrade disc and upgrade it to SE to fix it but I may hesitate on it since the performance will still be the same regardless...

90snostalga

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 02:06:31 am »
Oh, the video card that came with the pc is a Voodoo 3 3D sfx card.  Any one heard of it?  Good gaming card for that era?

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 12:45:09 pm »
the was pentium 3 released about early 1999 and windows 98 FE was released in 1998, so the only way you can fix this ether

a: find the one official update that can fix this (good luck with that, i have tried and fail)
b: upgrade to windows 98 SE because in was released 1999 and is more than likely compatible your pentium 3

Yeah, no, that's not how it works. It is merely a reporting issue and has no bearing on how the OS uses the CPU. There is a KB about it:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216204

I would run CPU-Z on the PC to see how it detects the processor.

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 03:18:29 pm »
Oh, the video card that came with the pc is a Voodoo 3 3D sfx card.  Any one heard of it?  Good gaming card for that era?

My first gaming pc had that video card. It was a very good card for its time. 3DFX actually invented SLI technology back then and Nvidia started to use it after they purchased 3DFX.
"My life is a chip in your pile. Ante up."
     Setzer  FFVI