Author Topic: Want Your Soul to Die? Just Watch This Game Trailer  (Read 1765 times)

htimreimer

Want Your Soul to Die? Just Watch This Game Trailer
« on: March 16, 2014, 11:33:36 pm »

look at the title
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:35:53 pm by htimreimer »

Re: Want Your Soul to Die? Just Watch This Game Trailer
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:41:00 pm »

look at the title

"Rollercoaster" Okay, I see where they are going with this.

"Tycoon" A series I never got into, but I know others like.

"4" Well it's been around for awhile, that's cool...

"Mobile" ...

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:59:21 am »
There's a Roller Coaster Tycoon on the 3DS. Certainly better looking than this one but if it's the idea that these games are going portable, the one posted above certainly isn't the first. Actually seems like a perfectly logical platform for one of these games.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:11:26 am »
There's a Roller Coaster Tycoon on the 3DS. Certainly better looking than this one but if it's the idea that these games are going portable, the one posted above certainly isn't the first. Actually seems like a perfectly logical platform for one of these games.

Big difference between "portable" and "mobile".  I think handhelds like the 3DS are fantastic.  You can guarantee quality games on it, it's a proven platform.  Smartphone mobile games on the other hand are rarely considered good, let alone a legitimate platform for gaming.  Find tons of the casual time wasters, but a proper thought out game is not generally one of them.  We've seen series that go mobile tend to work out poorly.  Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Dungeon Keeper, and there are more.  Mobile just seems to lend itself to free to play games with awful micro-transactions or just basic games with not a ton to offer since smartphones don't have good controls or alot of power to them and isn't exactly the most unified platform.

argyle

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:53:31 am »
Yep, my soul already died when I heard that my beloved Dungeon Keeper got a "freemium" mobile "sequel".   >:(
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 02:35:49 pm »

Big difference between "portable" and "mobile".  I think handhelds like the 3DS are fantastic.  You can guarantee quality games on it, it's a proven platform.  Smartphone mobile games on the other hand are rarely considered good, let alone a legitimate platform for gaming.  Find tons of the casual time wasters, but a proper thought out game is not generally one of them.  We've seen series that go mobile tend to work out poorly.  Mega Man, Final Fantasy, Dungeon Keeper, and there are more.  Mobile just seems to lend itself to free to play games with awful micro-transactions or just basic games with not a ton to offer since smartphones don't have good controls or alot of power to them and isn't exactly the most unified platform.

I don't think the mobile versions of these games are meant to replace existing games on existing platforms, more as a compliment for those who enjoy a certain game and would like to play a smaller version of it on the go.

Remember those old LED handheld games in the 80's that had pacman, galaxian, or donkey kong? They didn't didn't hurt the sales of those IP's on consoles.

Hopefully the worry here isn't that smartphone gaming is going to hurt console gaming. They're doing plenty on their own to hurt their own sales.

So don't worry, nobody's soul needs to die.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 04:16:34 pm »
It's not that they are ruining what is on other systems, it's just a bad game being made for the sake of the mobile market, which is rarely good...Dungeon Keeper...

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 05:23:38 pm »
You may be onto something. Francis seems to hate it ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtD-P6Baf8E

karyann

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:26:07 pm »
Hopefully the worry here isn't that smartphone gaming is going to hurt console gaming. They're doing plenty on their own to hurt their own sales.

My exact argument every time someone says that mobile gaming is going to kill handheld gaming. Well, one amongst the others, anyway. Handheld console gaming isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and certainly not because of smartphones  ::)

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 08:34:51 pm »
Yes, if anything, it seems that handheld gaming is the strongest market at the moment and Nintendo owns it.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 02:52:50 pm »
Yes, if anything, it seems that handheld gaming is the strongest market at the moment and Nintendo owns it.
Strongest as in that it's not going anywhere and won't collapse. Because even though iOS games are probably getting better sales in the Western world, it could be viewed as a fad. People will grow out of the "freemium" sales model. Even if iOS is here to stay, the massive success of handheld consoles over "smart"phones outside the Western world is enough to sustain it internationally. But this is hypothetical, the 3DS sales are more popular now than they ever were, so I don't see them going away. The Wii U sales however... yikes.

jobocan

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 07:09:12 pm »
Yep, my soul already died when I heard that my beloved Dungeon Keeper got a "freemium" mobile "sequel".   >:(

You were lucky to still have a soul up to that point. My soul died long ago from following the game industry. Turns out souls are overrated, don't really need one.