Author Topic: Officially giving up on Shenmue III. . .  (Read 2230 times)

Officially giving up on Shenmue III. . .
« on: March 19, 2014, 10:08:09 pm »
I watched the much awaited and much hyped Shenmue Postmortem speech given by Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki and co-hosted/translated by Mark Cerny from Sony. Like many Shenmue fans I was awaiting any glimmer of hope that there might be a Shenmue III announcement, or even the recently teased PSN/XBLA releases of Shenmue and Shenmue II. We got neither, but what we did get seemed to hint that Yu Suzuki is finally telling the world in a very subtle way that there will never be a Shenmue III.

The first hint that is given is how he reveals for the first time ever the concept art for each chapter of the game that eventually became Shenmue, Virtua Fighter RPG. Each of the chapter pictures shared characters and events that occurred in the Shenmue, as if vaguely revealing what was supposed to happen in Shenmue. It has been known for a long time that Shenmue was supposed to be episodic in this way, and it is easy to see how these pictures may have represented what was to happen in the later Shenmue games. There was also info given related to the general storyline of Virtua Fighter RPG, such as Akira (who was eventually conceptualized as Ryo Hazuki for Shenmue) defeating Randi (how Lan Di, Shenmue's main villain, is pronounced in Japanese). I feel like all of the above info was deliberately revealed to pretty much give Shenmue fans what they craved, how the rest of Shenmue may have played out, even if it was done in a subtle way. Of course, this may not have been Yu's intention at all, but it seemed interesting that this was being revealed at a "Postmortem" speech.

And finally, the nail in the coffin that really killed any hope of Shenmue 3 ever being made was Yu Suzuki's reply to the first question he was asked from an audience member, which unsurprisingly was "When will we get Shenmue 3?" Suzuki's reply. . . "dot, dot, dot. . " I am dead serious! While his response was definitely not a confirmation of Shenmue III never being released. I feel his evasive responses that he has been giving for years are more than enough to assume that while he might want to make the game, it isn't going to happen. I have to say though, I wish he would just give people a straight answer instead of making us hope in vain that this game ever has a chance of being made.

I might be reading way to much into this, but I feel that this conference is the closest gamers and Shenmue fans will ever get to knowing how the Shenmue saga was intended to end or what may have happened in the third game. I have been holding on for over a decade for any news regarding an upcoming Shenmue and I am honestly tired of the mixed messages, vague hints, and evasive responses from the one guy who would know what is going on with his hallmark franchise. That is why I am finally letting go of my hopes that some day on some console I would be able to complete Ryo's story and finally have closure to a cliff hanger that has been killing me since 2002. Regardless Shenmue and Shenmue 2 will always be my favorite games of all time, but it will be up to my imagination and limited official info to assume what happened after Ryo and Shenhua left that cave. . . dot, dot, dot

If anyone is interested in watching Yu Suzuki's speech today, here is a link to it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMxDFZhp9Y

90snostalga

Re: Officially giving up on Shenmue III. . .
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 04:44:56 am »
It's very sad as I think millions upon millions would buy Shenmue III and it's just pure classic and awesomeness.  But I was talking to Sin2Beta about this a while back and his response was basically no it will never happen and he provided excellent examples as to why it probably wont happen.  Here are the examples below he gave me.  The sonic 4 example is a great point of view on it.

"Any time SEGA releases a game because the fans want it, it bites them in the ass. Sonic 4 is the biggest example. From the moment it was announced, the very same people who clamored for the return to 2D with Sonic 4 started hating it. Once a screen shot came out, all hell broke loose. Sonic Retro essentially shut down due to how bad the community became. Most of them splintered off to SegaRetro where sonic is not mentioned at all.

That's not the only example.

But mainly, when I was writing for SEGA sites, the community managers of SEGA wouldn't even talk about it. And not because it was hush hush. It almost seemed due to it being futile. It was just something that was never gonna happen. That was more of the reason for the silence."

I know its hard but I had to finally part ways with the hopes of Shenmue III a few months ago.   :-[
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:47:06 am by 90snostalga »

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 05:43:36 pm »
Yeah it is really hard to let go of, but at this point I feel like I'm doing my self a disservice in continuing to hope it will ever come out.

I know what you mean about the Sonic 4 thing, and truth is the same situation very well might happen with Shenmue III if it was ever made, even with Suzuki heading the project. The industry is vastly different then it was back in 2000, and there is no way modern Sega would let Suzuki have as much control, time and money as he did with the original Shenmue. This means that the game would probably be released a some subpar GTA style game that fell completely short of its former glory.

But that is assuming it would ever see a release. I feel like if Shenmue 3 ever had a chance of being made it was probably around ten years ago, but now it will never happen. And as i said in my op, this postmortem seemed to be Suzuki's subtle admission that the series is dead and this is what he wanted to do with it, but couldn't.

I still haven't fully let go of wanting this game, but at least I am coming to terms with it never coming out. Lol I know this sounds ridiculous, but this series means a lot to me, and knowing it will never officially be finished is almost like trying to accept the death of a loved one.

90snostalga

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 06:10:02 pm »

I still haven't fully let go of wanting this game, but at least I am coming to terms with it never coming out. Lol I know this sounds ridiculous, but this series means a lot to me, and knowing it will never officially be finished is almost like trying to accept the death of a loved one.

I understand completely.  I do think he truly wants to get another Shenmue out but realizes that the reality is, it wont happen.  I still have that soft spot in my heart for Shenmue and a little bit of hope that we will get to see it sometime in our lifetime.  It means a lot to me as well based on things that were happening in my teenage years in the early 2000s that I will never forget.  Kind of like when you always place some kind of memory to a song, I always have a special memory placed with the original Shenmue.  And then theres the amazing story line with Shenmue I and II.  If it did happen within 5 years, I think the Wii U would be a perfect platform for it with the Gamepad. 

Thanks, Jahuty.  You've got my feelings back in it like it's a relationship that I can never get over my "x".  lol.  We can keep wishing.

Not sure if it means anything to you, but we did finally get "The Wonder Years" official DVD box set with original music confirmed being released at the end of this year!!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D  I'm so happy about that.

Here is the link to the wonder years if anyone is interested:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/02/11/wonder-years-is-coming-to-dvd/

To sign up for the updates of the release via email:

http://wonderyearsdvds.com/?utm_source=TVShowsOnDVD&utm_medium=affil&utm_campaign=announcement

sin2beta

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 06:43:45 pm »
Not sure if it means anything to you, but we did finally get "The Wonder Years" official DVD box set with original music confirmed being released at the end of this year!!!!!!    ;D ;D ;D  I'm so happy about that.

That's actually exciting. I've been waiting for the same thing with Daria. The different music changes it so much.

But, back to Shenmue! My writing from a PM conversation is already provided above. But I will say, that the days after talking with 90s and while I continued watching Adam Koralik's videos, I started to become hopeful. I realized that where I thought I gave up on Shenmue 3, there was actually a tinge of hope. It turns out, I haven't given up. I don't think it will happen soon. It may not happen at all. But, now, I think there is a possibility.

The problem is, it's become legendary as an unfinished story. That story is now bigger than Shenmue's own story. I kind of like it that way.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 06:45:48 pm »
Now where's my Yakuza 5, Damnit!!

90snostalga

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 07:50:29 pm »

That's actually exciting. I've been waiting for the same thing with Daria. The different music changes it so much.

Wo wo wo wo hold up.  Now, I just bought Daria the complete series on DVD literally last week and already watched the first 3 episodes.  I did not watch this really as a kid so its all new to me.  You are telling me this is not the original music?????!!!

90snostalga

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 07:53:03 pm »
Now where's my Yakuza 5, Damnit!!

I still cant wait to play the Yakuza franchise but I still haven't came across the first one on the PS2 yet in the wild.  I may have to suck it up and order it online eventually.  But overall, I'm glad to hear you are back on the "hope" train again for Shenmue III.   :)

What exactly about the youtube videos gives you hope again?

sin2beta

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 08:44:07 pm »
Nothing in particular gives me hope. I just found myself getting excited and anxious for the news.

And, yes. Unless something has changed. Daria had to replace all the music. It was licensed stuff on MtV

90snostalga

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 08:51:06 pm »
Nothing in particular gives me hope. I just found myself getting excited and anxious for the news.

And, yes. Unless something has changed. Daria had to replace all the music. It was licensed stuff on MtV

son of a *****.  I thought I was watching the real Daria.  I don't even want to watch it no more now.  And that theme song is stuck in my head off the DVD.  La la la la.  la la la la.  I guess Ill on the official music with that one too

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 09:25:53 pm »

Wo wo wo wo hold up.  Now, I just bought Daria the complete series on DVD literally last week and already watched the first 3 episodes.  I did not watch this really as a kid so its all new to me.  You are telling me this is not the original music? ??? ?!!!

Seriously!? It isn't :(? I guess I'm happy I didn't buy it when it was released. It seriously took every fiber of my being not to drop $60 on it when it first came out. I know the show itself is unchanged (at least I hope), but the music is a huge part of why that show was great. Such an awesome, inconic 90s show :)

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 09:35:44 pm »
@ sin2beta

I was also very hopeful, especially with those videos of some one talking to the Sega brand chief or something about how heavily requested Shenmue was as a series they should release on XBLA/PSN. This series needs widespread exposure if it was ever going to get the interest needs to produce a sequel, but so far there has been no new info and I think that interview was like a year and a half ago.

Regardless, my general loss of all hope was sealed by yesterday's Postmortem, but in truth it has been the accumulation of 12-years of announcements, followed by cancellations, followed by undelivered promises from Suzuki and Sega, further followed by Suzuki's unwillingness to be straight with die hard fans of the series in virtually every interview he has had since about 2006. It just seems very clear to me that he wants to make it, but unless some very wealthy investor came forward to fund the project, Sega is simply never going to make Shenmue.

One thing I forgot to mention is I believe I read an article that Sega's copyright on Shenmue in the US has expired as of last year, which pretty much means that they have such little interest in the series they don't even care that copyright is in limbo right now. I don't have a source for this, and obviously if it came from the internet it doesn't mean it's true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

90snostalga

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 11:36:52 pm »

Wo wo wo wo hold up.  Now, I just bought Daria the complete series on DVD literally last week and already watched the first 3 episodes.  I did not watch this really as a kid so its all new to me.  You are telling me this is not the original music? ??? ?!!!

Seriously!? It isn't :(? I guess I'm happy I didn't buy it when it was released. It seriously took every fiber of my being not to drop $60 on it when it first came out. I know the show itself is unchanged (at least I hope), but the music is a huge part of why that show was great. Such an awesome, inconic 90s show :)

I got it for 25 at MovieStop.  I dont think I could have dropped 60 on it but I'm still upset about the music thing  >:(

As far as Shenmue, let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best  :)   But hey, Sin2Beta is very smart and maybe we could find some way to get him in the doors of Sega with some power and get the guys on the job ???

sin2beta

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 11:43:20 pm »
@ sin2beta

I was also very hopeful, especially with those videos of some one talking to the Sega brand chief or something about how heavily requested Shenmue was as a series they should release on XBLA/PSN. This series needs widespread exposure if it was ever going to get the interest needs to produce a sequel, but so far there has been no new info and I think that interview was like a year and a half ago.

Regardless, my general loss of all hope was sealed by yesterday's Postmortem, but in truth it has been the accumulation of 12-years of announcements, followed by cancellations, followed by undelivered promises from Suzuki and Sega, further followed by Suzuki's unwillingness to be straight with die hard fans of the series in virtually every interview he has had since about 2006. It just seems very clear to me that he wants to make it, but unless some very wealthy investor came forward to fund the project, Sega is simply never going to make Shenmue.

One thing I forgot to mention is I believe I read an article that Sega's copyright on Shenmue in the US has expired as of last year, which pretty much means that they have such little interest in the series they don't even care that copyright is in limbo right now. I don't have a source for this, and obviously if it came from the internet it doesn't mean it's true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

No, that is true. It wasn't the copyright. But the trademark has expired. They could reinstate it. But, yeah, the interest is not there for them.

I definitely think Suzuki would want to make the game. But Sega is a very different place now than in the late 90s. In addition, gaming is in a very different place. I think it was the most recent Giant Bombcast with David Lang, that stated Shenmue's approach of fan revival would be good for a 1-6 million dollar game (ie Mighty Number 9). Not a 10-60 million dollar game Shenmue 3 would be expected to be. I think the funding and return is the big issue. Even though most fans would be fine with it, Shenmue would not make a good XBLA game. Sonic 4 was not a good XBLA game. And, I'm sorry to say, a bad Sonic 4 had a better shot at financial success than a good Shenmue. And Shenmue is not going to be a disc game. Not much left in terms of options.

Sega does not really care about dead IPs. ATLUS is free to do whatever they want with any unused SEGA IPs. They don't keep these under a lot of control. Sega just doesn't take chances anymore. In short, Sega is not careful with their franchises, they are careful with their money. Due to this, ATLUS may be free to do what they like. But I'd be surprised if anything gets published.

Honestly, it is hard to disagree with Sega on this. Releasing only sure shots has led to them being one of the few companies capable of buying ATLUS.

I would like to see Shenmue 3 finished in Manga form as Suzuki suggested a few times.

sin2beta

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 11:45:38 pm »
But hey, Sin2Beta is very smart and maybe we could find some way to get him in the doors of Sega with some power and get the guys on the job ???

My vote is for Keith Apicary