Author Topic: Sony/Microsoft Execs leaving  (Read 1012 times)

90snostalga

Sony/Microsoft Execs leaving
« on: March 21, 2014, 01:43:20 am »
This article was very interesting and I'm not 100 percent sure of what it truly means at the end of the day.  Let me know what you guys think if you have time to read it:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/video-game-brain-drain-top-164715618.html

Re: Sony/Microsoft Execs leaving
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:28:55 am »
The industry is changing so rapidly and it seems the people that are leaving are mostly guys that have been with these companies for a long time, way before DLC, microtransactions, and DRM. Aside from those things, the philosophy of gaming has changed from let's make something creative and fun to let's create something that is going to make the shareholders money. In all the industry has become all about greed, and if it weren't for a few good companies that still existed out there I wouldn't even bother buying new games (still don't any any of the next gen consoles, except a 3DS). I think these men realize this and are tired of working for companies that no longer reflect their values as artists, business men, and developers. I honestly hope the whole industry crashes again so maybe we see a huge shift in why and how new games are made. I know there is the indi scene, but in all honestly many of these games don't hold your attention for more then an hour tops, and I personally don't like how they are download only. I can't blame them for that, I just don't support digital distribution. But anyhow, just my two cents.

90snostalga

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 04:17:46 am »
The industry is changing so rapidly and it seems the people that are leaving are mostly guys that have been with these companies for a long time, way before DLC, microtransactions, and DRM. Aside from those things, the philosophy of gaming has changed from let's make something creative and fun to let's create something that is going to make the shareholders money. In all the industry has become all about greed, and if it weren't for a few good companies that still existed out there I wouldn't even bother buying new games (still don't any any of the next gen consoles, except a 3DS). I think these men realize this and are tired of working for companies that no longer reflect their values as artists, business men, and developers. I honestly hope the whole industry crashes again so maybe we see a huge shift in why and how new games are made. I know there is the indi scene, but in all honestly many of these games don't hold your attention for more then an hour tops, and I personally don't like how they are download only. I can't blame them for that, I just don't support digital distribution. But anyhow, just my two cents.

I 100 percent agree.  I hate digital distribution and I think essentially at the end of the day, DLC and all that will end up contributing to driving the video game industry to the ground.  I'm still sticking to my theory that this is the last generation of home console gaming unless something amazing happens.  That's what I still support about Nintendo tho'.  They make all their games 100 percent of quality and do not put the game out until its completely done.  No DLC.    Unfortunately for the indie games, I want to try some of them, but I will never download a game so I can't help them.  As far as the current next gen consoles, I love the Wii U, 3DS and thats about it.  never getting the "Xbox Done" and I may get the PS4 years later when the price goes down just because I do have a little love for the Playstation.   But, remember the video game crash of 1984?  We may be in an era now leading to the next video game crash...

argyle

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 12:48:46 am »
Meh, people have been predicting the next video game crash for years - it's not gonna happen.  Will games be what they are today in 10 years time?  Probably not, but they'll still be around in some form.

I think these execs are just ready for a less stressful job.  Treton had been with Sony for what, over 20 years?  And you gotta imagine with his position there was probably a ton of travel and constant stress about reaching sales goals, etc.  He's most likely at an age where he's ready for something slower paced where he can focus on his family more.  Honestly, most of the guys stepping out of the industry or leaving big devs to start much smaller ones are in a similar position.  They've been around a long time, they've been there done that, and they're ready for something with less stress involved where they can call the shots.  What we're seeing is more of a coming up of a new generation of industry leaders, and it will be interesting to see what kind of changes we see as a result. 

All I know is, for now, there are still a ton of upcoming games I am very excited about.  When the day comes that new games no longer speak to me, I'll have my giant backlog to console me.  ;) 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

htimreimer

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 09:26:03 am »
the only video game crash we will see in the next 5 to 10 years is the gaming on smart phones/tablets, this is mostly do to a flood bad game's, bad controllers ,too many phones/tablets on the market, bad company policies and many other reasons