Author Topic: NES AC Adapter question  (Read 997 times)

NES AC Adapter question
« on: March 30, 2014, 04:12:00 pm »
So I was doing some rearranging in my game room this afternoon and I noticed that the plastic sheath on my NES AC adapter is torn and has some exposed wiring. I normally wouldn't mind, however, when I went to unplug it, it started sparking. Seeing how this is a fire hazard, I will not be using that AC adapter anymore. But my question is, is the AC Adapter on the NES Top Loader the same as the regular NES? Was just curious, seeing how I couldn't probably save some money if they are. Thank you in advance!

thecrypticodor

Re: NES AC Adapter question
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 04:35:18 pm »
Yeah it will work. A Genesis model 1 supply will also power a NES. (Just not the other way around as the Genesis can only use DC power a NES AC supply will damage it)

The NES will except both AC and DC voltages as it will rectify AC to DC internally. Also because of the power rectification process polarity doesn't matter with the NES. As long as the supply is around 9v and at least 1 amp it will power a NES just fine.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:37:01 pm by thecrypticodor »

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 05:06:21 pm »
Yeah it will work. A Genesis model 1 supply will also power a NES. (Just not the other way around as the Genesis can only use DC power a NES AC supply will damage it)

The NES will except both AC and DC voltages as it will rectify AC to DC internally. Also because of the power rectification process polarity doesn't matter with the NES. As long as the supply is around 9v and at least 1 amp it will power a NES just fine.

Awesome! Good to know, thanks :)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 05:06:47 pm »

BOOOOOM!!!!

Knowledge bomb dropped!

tpugmire

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 10:07:36 pm »
Where is the break in the cord at?  If it's near the AC adapter end, it should be a fairly easy fix if you feel comfortable doing it. Even if it's in the middle, it's not too difficult, but it might look a little weird.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

soera

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 08:59:25 am »
I may still have a few adapters left in my bag-o-cords if you need one.