Author Topic: Any chance of an Ouya game category?  (Read 2221 times)

Any chance of an Ouya game category?
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:01:46 am »
Since there are categories for downloadable games for the mainstream consoles, I was wondering if one would be made for the Ouya?

foxhack

Re: Any chance of an Ouya game category?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:45:46 am »
Oh god. They did it. Someone found a way to add the Android catalog to the site.

Oh god.

I QUIT

*jumps into a ditch*

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:58:50 am »
Since there are categories for downloadable games for the mainstream consoles, I was wondering if one would be made for the Ouya?

Personally, I have zero interest in an Ouya -but- your question has me curious as to what the answer will be...
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

foxhack

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 12:19:41 pm »
For the record, I didn't really quit, and whatever I say about the subject does not represent the opinions of the entire VGCollect staff.

disgaeniac

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 01:24:18 pm »
For the record, I didn't really quit, and whatever I say about the subject does not represent the opinions of the entire VGCollect staff.

Maaaan, stop teasing us like that...it's like snatching back a gift that you gave to a child on X-Mas morning  :P
"Attempts must be made, even when there can be no hope.
 The alternative is despair.
 And betimes some wonder is wrought to redeem us"

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 02:10:58 pm »

Maaaan, stop teasing us like that...it's like snatching back a gift that you gave to a child on X-Mas morning  :P

lol

matt

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 03:08:15 pm »
Downloadables are a slippery slope around here...

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 03:23:51 pm »
Oh god. They did it. Someone found a way to add the Android catalog to the site.

I can't find it, what's it under?

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 03:25:15 pm »
Downloadables are a slippery slope around here...

Sorry, I was assuming it was a logical request based on virtual downloads on other systems.

foxhack

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 03:55:17 pm »
I can't find it, what's it under?

The Ouya system. That's the loophole.

We admins have had talks about particular gaming platforms in the past, and we agreed that we would not support downloadable mobile phone games because of how volatile (to use that word) they are. An OS or phone update can kill an entire collection (at least with consoles you have fully compatible hardware for an entire generation), games can get pulled at any time with no recourse, many games are just excuses to grab your money via microtransactions, and the markets are full of so many clones and so many garbage games that it would be pretty crazy to keep track of them. This decision included iOS and Android stuff. (You'll note we made an exception for the N-Gage. The system used carts, and it didn't have that many games available, so it wasn't much of a problem.)

But now there's the Ouya, which is Android based.

My personal concern is that since the Ouya can load games that are not sold via the Ouya marketplace (side-loading APKs) that collectors will try to add all those non-Ouya games to the site, flooding the database with lots of garbage entries that do not belong here. I don't consider the system to be impossible to add to the site. I like the system, but my main concern is database tidiness.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:04:21 pm by foxhack »

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 04:15:50 pm »
Sounds logical foxhack. I won't pursue it any further.

foxhack

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2014, 04:21:17 pm »
Sounds logical foxhack. I won't pursue it any further.

... what.

I didn't say you couldn't add it! I didn't say we WOULDN'T add it. We need to talk about this first. D:

A year ago when the Ouya came out I would've hesitated, but it's been out for so long, and it isn't in any danger of disappearing, so I'm not against having it on the site.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 04:23:00 pm by foxhack »

Veilor

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2014, 12:31:09 pm »
This can also apply to the Nvidia Shield, it is also android based. I don't really know how it is, but from what I've noticed it is its own system for certain games.

90snostalga

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2014, 12:36:05 pm »
I'm already beginning to feel that the physical game market is now dying with all this Android talk.  The Ouya is not the Droid youre looking for...

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 01:41:58 pm »
This can also apply to the Nvidia Shield, it is also android based. I don't really know how it is, but from what I've noticed it is its own system for certain games.

Wait, the Shield can play games?