Author Topic: Anyone else not bother with label variations in their vgcollect collections?  (Read 1889 times)

I know label variations are popular for a lot of collectors and I have quite a few myself but I can't seem to bring myself to add them to my collection database here. For example I have all the variations of space invaders for the 2600 but I've only listed the picture label. Or another example is the whole NES 5 screw and 3 screw which I really don't get.

It just seems like it clutters my collection here, which I like to keep pretty streamlined. Are there others who are like minded or do most add every variation to the database?

soera

Other than my DQ stuff, I dont pay attention to any type of variant whatsoever. Ive never understood variant collectors. What is the purpose in owning dozens of copies of the same crappy game just cause it has a different TM on the sticker or more/less screws holding the thing together?

foxhack

I am. :P

But that's because I'm a PC player and I'm used to all the box / label variations. :D

Plus these box variants tend to have different contents (a manual, soundtrack, etc.)

I suppose it all comes down to why you're putting your collection here. Is it for Sales purposes? Showing off? Tracking an actual Collector's collection? Or just keeping track of what you have?

karyann

I don't care for owning many variants, but I do like to own the prettiest (in my point of view). Especially for greatest hits/player's choice: I try to own only black label games, just because it looks so much prettier on my shelves :P

fazerco

PRO Supporter

Im not a label variantions collector, but i do like my collection to be the same, over here and on my shelves.

haloofthesun

I don't understand the point of it. The only time a variation of a game should be listed, in my opinion, is when there's actually a difference in contents. I'm really not concerned if my Balloon Fight cart has 3 of 5 screws. I care even less that people who may view my collection here know how many screws are in it. I don't care if my label on Super Mario Bros. 2 has a round or oval Nintendo Seal of Quality.

I can kind of understand indicating whether or not it's a "Greatest Hits" type of variation, though. Collectors often prefer not to have those variations so they end up being worth less, even though in the long run it's just the same exact thing with a different color label. But I kinda get it.

hexen

In some ways, yes. If the cartridge is different color or has a different label, I do like to separate them. Thinks like number of screws, though... that is going too far.
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

tpugmire

I don't go out of my way to actually purchase any variants, but I do list them for he sake of completeness. We strive to have the most complete database ever, and that means cataloging variants that most people don't care about.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

karyann

I don't go out of my way to actually purchase any variants, but I do list them for he sake of completeness. We strive to have the most complete database ever, and that means cataloging variants that most people don't care about.

I like to have everything accurate, so even though I don't pursue variants, I also add everything that I notice doesn't exist in the database, because hell yeah awesome database!  :)

soera

Oh I dont mind VGCollect having the variants as we "do" have people that collect variants. Just for me personally, I really cant be bothered with how many screws my game has.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

This is a nice variant  ;)

http://vgcollect.com/item/58921

http://vgcollect.com/item/42940

And you can see a wheel flying if u open 2 windows and click between them

topspot123

For myself, if the variant is already in the database, I will use it.  Otherwise I usually just add a note to my copy to remind me of how my copy differs from what is listed.