Author Topic: The obscure of the obscure console games  (Read 3687 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: The obscure of the obscure console games
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 12:10:02 pm »

The XaviXPort. You used to be able to find them at discount stores like Big Lots or Bargain City. And when people saw them, they automatically assume it's a cheap Wii rip-off.

Cheap, yes, rip-off, no. Actually Wii ripped off the XaviXPort and did a better job at it.

You can see a review of it and a couple of games on it on CGRUndertow.

argyle

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 10:34:57 am »
Has anyone heard of MorphX? Or The First Templar? Or The Cursed Crusade? Didn't think so, and these are kind of recent games. I like these oddball Russian developed games that come out of left field and no one gives a second glance at after they get rated 2 out of 10. They're actually not bad games. Does anyone know about the game Bound By Flame that's coming out soon? That's one I watching for. Did anyone play Knights Contract? That was a pretty good game, I thought.

Did anyone here play the first Obscure game for PS2? Aptly titled. How about Stretch Panic, Scaler, or Ruff Trigger? Ever heard of Circus Maximus? It's a game where you race chariots while you sword fight, it's not bad. Was I the only one who picked up Emily The Strange for DS, or Duke Nukem: Critical Mass after the commercial failure of Forever? Has anyone ever played Tai Fu for PS1? How about Ninja Crusaders on NES? That game is freakin awesome.

I could go on and on, because I love obscure games.

I'm getting Bound By Flame, it looks awesome.  Comes out in a couple of weeks I believe. 

I've played Obscure & Stretch Panic.  I'm familiar with Scaler and Ruff Trigger, but hanve't played them (Ruff Trigger looks like a blatant Ratchet & Clank knock-off :P).  I played Circus Maximus too - there was a burst of Roman-themed games all at once it seemed, with the best (imo) being Capcom's Shadow of Rome.  And my wife picked up Emily the Strange recently, but I think she got bored with it & put it down.  Not 100% sure tho. 

If it's on the PS2 & was released in the US, I'm probably at least familiar with it.  I'll see the ones you mentioned and raise you Under The Skin, Bombastic (sequel to the equally obscure Devil Dice), I-Ninja, Dual Hearts, Blood Will Tell, Nightmare of Druaga and Crimson Tears.  The PS2 was a treasure trove of overlooked but fantastic games.  :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 07:59:32 pm »
Has anyone heard of MorphX? Or The First Templar? Or The Cursed Crusade? Didn't think so, and these are kind of recent games. I like these oddball Russian developed games that come out of left field and no one gives a second glance at after they get rated 2 out of 10. They're actually not bad games. Does anyone know about the game Bound By Flame that's coming out soon? That's one I watching for. Did anyone play Knights Contract? That was a pretty good game, I thought.

Did anyone here play the first Obscure game for PS2? Aptly titled. How about Stretch Panic, Scaler, or Ruff Trigger? Ever heard of Circus Maximus? It's a game where you race chariots while you sword fight, it's not bad. Was I the only one who picked up Emily The Strange for DS, or Duke Nukem: Critical Mass after the commercial failure of Forever? Has anyone ever played Tai Fu for PS1? How about Ninja Crusaders on NES? That game is freakin awesome.

I could go on and on, because I love obscure games.

I'm getting Bound By Flame, it looks awesome.  Comes out in a couple of weeks I believe. 

I've played Obscure & Stretch Panic.  I'm familiar with Scaler and Ruff Trigger, but hanve't played them (Ruff Trigger looks like a blatant Ratchet & Clank knock-off :P).  I played Circus Maximus too - there was a burst of Roman-themed games all at once it seemed, with the best (imo) being Capcom's Shadow of Rome.  And my wife picked up Emily the Strange recently, but I think she got bored with it & put it down.  Not 100% sure tho. 

If it's on the PS2 & was released in the US, I'm probably at least familiar with it.  I'll see the ones you mentioned and raise you Under The Skin, Bombastic (sequel to the equally obscure Devil Dice), I-Ninja, Dual Hearts, Blood Will Tell, Nightmare of Druaga and Crimson Tears.  The PS2 was a treasure trove of overlooked but fantastic games.  :)

You pretty much described my PS2 wishlist. Under The Skin looks so freaking awesomely weird. I really wanna get a hold of that game, also Dual Hearts and Blood Will Tell! Another obscure PS2 game (I think), that I wanna grab is Tsugunai: Atonement. I also wonder if that Robin Hood game by Capcom is any good?

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2014, 08:45:11 pm »
Yes I would want one If I had a chance at one, If I get one I'll be sure to let you know. lol  ::)

There's many obscure I could talk about, if you have been reading "My 8-Bits" series you'll see my reviews and experiences with the ones I have owned. In fact I just reviewed the PC-50X series which is an obscure console.

But If I have to say what my favorite to play obscure console is that I happen to own?

Number one would have to be the Sammy Atomiswave Custom.
This was made to be a console for Arcade owners, They would place this console inside an arcade cabinet then they can buy new carts to change the game, kinda similar to Neo Geo MVS and Capcom's CPS2.

The original motherboard console isn't that hard to find, but a fully consoled version can be. From what I have found the system is extremely difficult to make into a console and when they are made they sell for well over $800. and that doesn't include the joystick or games. My system can use any Neo Geo controller but I picked up a full arcade stick to use with it. I had this playing at a party once and this system was being played non stop. I own seven games for it as of right now but I recently just ordered a new one. Biggest issue I have buying games for it is there's a lot of pirate carts out there.

Well this is going into my archives lol
PS4-zxzpigxzx
Ebay-https://VintageWarren