Author Topic: Super Smash Bros Nintendo Direct  (Read 1380 times)

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

Super Smash Bros Nintendo Direct
« on: April 08, 2014, 08:14:34 pm »
basically if you haven't seen it or got something to say post here

Personally I think I'm more hyped for this than I was Brawl

Re: Super Smash Bros Nintendo Direct
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 08:32:18 pm »
I haven't played Smash since the N64 days, didn't play it on Gamecube and generally avoided most stuff on the Wii, but now that I'm back Nintendo, I'm pretty excited for this and there seems like alot of new additions to the game.  Plus, since Mega Man was killed off by Capcom, I think this is the first positive thing that has been done with Mega Man and respecting its roots with that awesome Final Smash attack that shows off every main iteration of Mega Man.

Shame it's not coming out on the Wii U till winter as I'm not too interested in the 3DS version which comes out first in the summer.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 09:10:13 pm »
I'm writing a summary as we speak. I'll be posting it soon! :P

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:29:06 pm »
I'm beyond pumped for this. I'll be getting both 3DS and WiiU. I really dig Smash. I've loved every iteration of it.  I could have picked some better fighters, but it'll be great anyway.

I think they're making a bit of a mistake by releasing the 3DS version first. This is a system seller. Let's use it to sell some systems!

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:03:05 pm »
sometimes you gotta love the internet's humor

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 10:16:33 pm »
^ thats phucking hilarious

soera

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 10:52:33 pm »
LOL this is probably going to go along with the unpopular opinions but I really cant get into the SSB series. All the attacks are so random. Its not like MK (which will forever remain the greatest fighting series of all time).

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 11:24:53 pm »
LOL this is probably going to go along with the unpopular opinions but I really cant get into the SSB series. All the attacks are so random. Its not like MK (which will forever remain the greatest fighting series of all time).

To me, it's why I like something like SSB more than any other fighting game.  Yes, Mortal Kombat and Streeth Fighter have stricter, skill, based combat, but I can't learn crap tons of different combos and moves and how many frames I get with this one move to merge with the right combo, but with SSB, it's all very chill and while you can get deep into it, regular players can still get in and have some real enjoyment.  Moves are easier to remember, there aren't particularly combo systems, it's that arcade experience that makes me like kart racers more than I would Forza or Gran Turismo lol

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 11:30:53 pm »

Excuse me while I go watch Billy Madison

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 11:50:35 pm »
It's a platform fighter with characters across a multitude of franchises so of course the attacks are going to seen random. One thing that's appealing to me is how all the attacks are layed out the same across all characters. A or B and a direction. Makes it simple to pickup and play any character unlike some tradition fighters where every character may have a different control scheme. I also enjoy how complex combos can get. Every character is weighted different so some combos that might work on a heavy weight won't work on a lite weight, and then there's the scaled launching system based on their total damage. Then you factor in the environment and what not. its crazy.

I would argue its just as complex as other fighting games just in a different manner. Melee was even featured at Evo 2013 championships. Not often you see people playing a 13-year-old game professional. That says something in its self.

Its hard to compare Smash bros to other fighters. It's practically it's own genre. As kamikazekeeg said above: Might as well compare Mario Kart to Gran Turismo while we're at it. I total understand not liking the game if you're into traditional fighting games.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:57:41 pm by badATchaos »

argyle

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 11:58:26 pm »
I'm not a big fan of the game either - the single player is amusing, but I've never gotten much out of the multi (which is the point of the game).

That said - I do appreciate what the game is.  If you want to see how deep it really can be, watch The Smash Brothers documentary series on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tgWH-qXpv8&list=PLoUHkRwnRH-KTCH3tJ9WvsWWPEgUu-y6d
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »
I will admit the fighting can be quite random. But watch do you expect when you have an Italian American plumber, a space bounty hunter, an electric mouse, and a little boy with psychic power duking it out. It's nowhere near as not random as turning your opponent into a baby, or ripping out their spine. :P

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2014, 12:18:54 pm »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2014, 07:03:53 pm »

Yes.

Mortal Kombat 1 & 2.

:-)