Author Topic: Disapointed at my local Good will  (Read 5392 times)

Warmsignal

Re: Disapointed at my local Good will
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 06:10:47 pm »
I wondered why I never found anything at Goodwill in 5 years. Just one less place to find games less than market value. It's all only going to get worse. Soon enough yard sales will be asking $50 for their Ff7s and $20 for their Mario 64s.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 06:40:02 pm »
I wondered why I never found anything at Goodwill in 5 years. Just one less place to find games less than market value. It's all only going to get worse. Soon enough yard sales will be asking $50 for their Ff7s and $20 for their Mario 64s.

Worse, someone will make a reality show out of it and send the prices of Mario/Duck Hunts into the stratosphere.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 06:50:51 pm »
Well, I just found some stuff at a Goodwill. I'll keep checking, I guess.

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 06:51:42 pm »

Worse, someone will make a reality show out of it and send the prices of Mario/Duck Hunts into the stratosphere.

It's gonna happen.  There's that Toy Hunter show I like to watch, and there's a cosplay show out there, so it's inevitable that we'll come up to something game related about going to conventions to find games, hunting through flea markets, craigslist visits, and thrift stores for gaming items.

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 11:17:36 pm »

Too late. I went to a yard sale last summer where some guy was charging Ebay prices and then some for his games. He wanted $60 for Conker Live and Reloaded. . . wasn't too happy about that.

theflea

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 12:18:59 am »
I've never found had much luck with Thrift Stores (Especially Goodwill). Even Flea Markets I see EBay prices a lot.
And yes I have hit those Garage Sales where the seller wants stupid prices for old games.

I've heard a few times, But it's an old Nintendo/Atari/Sega these are worth a lot of money now. And I tell them NO it's not.
But they think I'm lying and I tell em, Good luck with that. lol
Biggest thing I'm seeing at garage sales are the Reseller Garage Sales. Where they have a sale every month and have full prices on games.

I just call it part of the hunt, everyone has their own idea what something is worth. If I see I good deal I buy it, if it's overpriced then walk away. There is one Thrift store I have found decent prices on games and I do check this store on occasion. But I don't even stop at Goodwill stores anymore.

"Happy game hunting!!!"

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2014, 01:57:36 am »
I've never found had much luck with Thrift Stores (Especially Goodwill). Even Flea Markets I see EBay prices a lot.
And yes I have hit those Garage Sales where the seller wants stupid prices for old games.

I've heard a few times, But it's an old Nintendo/Atari/Sega these are worth a lot of money now. And I tell them NO it's not.
But they think I'm lying and I tell em, Good luck with that. lol
Biggest thing I'm seeing at garage sales are the Reseller Garage Sales. Where they have a sale every month and have full prices on games.

I just call it part of the hunt, everyone has their own idea what something is worth. If I see I good deal I buy it, if it's overpriced then walk away. There is one Thrift store I have found decent prices on games and I do check this store on occasion. But I don't even stop at Goodwill stores anymore.

I have your same luck. I live in the Bay Area. The flea markets are ebay prices. Goodwill, ebay prices, yard sales... You get the picture.

There are literally half a dozen retro stores here. One charges higher prices but has mint-near mint games in box, etc.

The other is like my unkept closet. A total cluster-mess but lots of gems in there, also high priced. Higher than amazon and ebay! One store though has nearly everything I am looking for in alphabetical order. Grouped by console. Play testable on the spot.

I actually have to set a limit before I walk into the store. I'll go in and say "I have x dollars". I'll pick out my selections clocking in at usually x dollars and change. Nearly every game is equal to or less than what they go for on amazon.

He rings me up. "Okay man, you still have x-30 dollars to spend."

When I look at him in disbelief he just smiles and says "you'll be back next month." And you know what. He's exactly right. As long as I have money to spend and a wish-list to check off, I'll be in that store.

I made the mistake of buying a genesis model 1 online online for $25 after shipping. I got it to replace one I have that has a quirky controller port. The ebay guy sent me a model 2. All my cables were incompatible. I went into my local store and talked to the guy about it. He said "man. I would have sold you an entire console with controller and hookups for the same price."

I asked if I could swap the model 2 console I had for a model 1.

He said "Sure, dude. But before you do know that the console they sent you has better quality composite and RF video. If you just need an AC adapter and a video cable you can have these for 6 bucks."

I bought the cables plugged in the model 2 I got on ebay and holy crap he was right.

I'm rambling now, but my point is there are still good folks out there that love the retro gaming scene as much as we do and they walk that line of having a healthy business but being a gamers game store.

This guy has my business for as long as he's in business!

90snostalga

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2014, 07:49:10 am »

What you mean Turf?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2014, 08:27:28 am »

What you mean Turf?

I found some games at the local goodwill. I was about to give up on goodwill all together, but I had a decent find. So, I'll keep checking there.

spac316

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 08:18:59 pm »
Well, I have found something worth it to me. WWF Raw for XBox, $3. Not the best game in the world but at least I can add it to the collection.

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2014, 02:44:40 pm »
Despite issues with Good Will, they are having a 50% everything sale at the stores on Saturday.  I don't know if it's country-wide, I assume it to be, so if you got nothing better to do, might not hurt to check out there when they open.  I was planning to hit them all anyways, so a possible sale sweetens the deal, despite not ever really finding anything there.  Hoping to maybe find a console for sale at one specific one which is always generally higher than I'd like with their prices, but if they get down to like 15 bucks, hopefully for a Gamecube, that would be pretty sweet.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2014, 02:20:01 am »
Despite issues with Good Will, they are having a 50% everything sale at the stores on Saturday.  I don't know if it's country-wide, I assume it to be, so if you got nothing better to do, might not hurt to check out there when they open.  I was planning to hit them all anyways, so a possible sale sweetens the deal, despite not ever really finding anything there.  Hoping to maybe find a console for sale at one specific one which is always generally higher than I'd like with their prices, but if they get down to like 15 bucks, hopefully for a Gamecube, that would be pretty sweet.

Picked up a DVD-R recorder that I can use to record my gameplay for $20. :)

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2014, 02:33:10 am »

Picked up a DVD-R recorder that I can use to record my gameplay for $20. :)

Not bad.  I haven't found anything good at a Goodwill in months lol I bought 4 PS2 cases with the memory card holders the other day for .50 a piece since people had stolen the games and they were all I could find there and luckily management thought it was fine.  Handy to have if I ever needs some replacement cases for PS2 games I find lol

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2014, 12:11:27 pm »
Update. My local Goodwill now has worse than ebay prices.

I saw Rarity 1 (super common) Atari 2600 games on sale for $10 each. :P

By comparison there is another thrift store here that has way cheaper prices, you can plug stuff in and try it in store (at least no one yells at me when I do it). And if you make a donation to the store of clothes or something you get 20% off your entire purchase.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 01:45:06 pm »
And still my local Goodwill is awesome. A lot of my game pick-ups that are PS1 upwards are from there. As are MOST of the CD and DVD pick-ups you see me post in the "Added to Other Collections" post.