Author Topic: The Wii U is a failure?  (Read 17109 times)

Re: The Wii U is a failure?
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2014, 09:44:10 pm »
The Wii U is no doubt a financial failure at the moment, especially by Nintendo's standards. However, many are preaching gloom and doom regarding Nintendo as a whole company. The company is sitting on a Mountain of cash from the DS and Wii from last gen, not to mention two decades of financially successful hardware and software. Nintendo could release three system bombs in a row before any serious talk of the company as a whole could seriously be brought up.

On that note, the Wii U is the only next gen system I have any plans of buying at the moment. Wonderful 101, New SMBU, Super Mario World 3D, and Pikmin 3 alone have me wanting the system. The only reason I have not bought one yet is I am waiting an official release date on Monolith's X. Once that thing is slated to come out I will be buying one.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2014, 09:46:14 pm »
and now I certain this is just a troll page

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2014, 09:50:53 pm »
Could you drop the "Nintendo games are for kids" nonsense? Like the second time now I've seen you knock them for it for no good reason.  So the games are colorful and fun for the family, so therefor are just for kids?  I love more adult games like Fallout, STALKER, Metro 2033, games that are dark and gritty and full of violence, but I also enjoy Mario and Kart Racing games.  Because they are fun and entertaining.

As for the Wii U, yeah it's not doing well and probably will just manage to scrape by for a few more years.  I feel like if they had initially went about things differently, it would've left them in a better place, such as the name.  The Wii U is kinda confusing as a name, it very much just seemed like an addon of sorts to those that didn't know any better.  It wasn't advertised well.  If it had been a new name entirely, it would've helped to show that this was a new console.  Combine that with poor third party support and it's just not good at all.

Funny enough, with how poor the Wii U is doing, I'm way more interested in the system than I was the Wii.  I like that motion control isn't a focus, it has a proper and cool controller, it's HD, and I have more games now for the system than I did the 2 or 3 years of the Wii's life that I had one before selling it off to a friend.  I'm actually backed up a bit on Wii U games lol With Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 coming up, those are two big games.  There's Bayonetta 2 and X that look awesome, the Zelda Dynasty Warriors hybrid should be fun, and I'm sure at E3 this year we'll finally get our big Zelda reveal that I've been waiting on.

And Nintendo consoles won't die off.  There was an article recently where Nintendo could lose millions of dollars every year for the next 30 years and still be in business.  They are much smarter about how they handle their company compared to everyone else that they won't just go the way of Sega.  The 3DS for them is doing fantastically well which is a big part of their company, they are just gonna have to trudge things out for as long as they can with the Wii U, get out a few more of the big games, before they start looking to their next console that will have to probably come out quicker than the Wii U did after the Wii if they can't get out of this slump at all.  The future for them does seem to be about interlinking the handheld with the console which is a good start for getting things on track, if not now, then for the next handheld and console.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:54:05 pm by kamikazekeeg »

dreama1

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:01:18 pm by dreama1 »

foxhack

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2014, 10:13:27 pm »
Yeah please go troll elsewhere. Nintendo is failing sorry how else can I put this for you until you face the reality, are you on the nintendo shrooms or something?  ;D

I'm keeping an eye on this thread.

So keep it civil, please.

dreama1

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2014, 10:17:29 pm »
Could you drop the "Nintendo games are for kids" nonsense? Like the second time now I've seen you knock them for it for no good reason.  So the games are colorful and fun for the family, so therefor are just for kids?  I love more adult games like Fallout, STALKER, Metro 2033, games that are dark and gritty and full of violence, but I also enjoy Mario and Kart Racing games.  Because they are fun and entertaining.

As for the Wii U, yeah it's not doing well and probably will just manage to scrape by for a few more years.  I feel like if they had initially went about things differently, it would've left them in a better place, such as the name.  The Wii U is kinda confusing as a name, it very much just seemed like an addon of sorts to those that didn't know any better.  It wasn't advertised well.  If it had been a new name entirely, it would've helped to show that this was a new console.  Combine that with poor third party support and it's just not good at all.

Funny enough, with how poor the Wii U is doing, I'm way more interested in the system than I was the Wii.  I like that motion control isn't a focus, it has a proper and cool controller, it's HD, and I have more games now for the system than I did the 2 or 3 years of the Wii's life that I had one before selling it off to a friend.  I'm actually backed up a bit on Wii U games lol With Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 coming up, those are two big games.  There's Bayonetta 2 and X that look awesome, the Zelda Dynasty Warriors hybrid should be fun, and I'm sure at E3 this year we'll finally get our big Zelda reveal that I've been waiting on.

And Nintendo consoles won't die off.  There was an article recently where Nintendo could lose millions of dollars every year for the next 30 years and still be in business.  They are much smarter about how they handle their company compared to everyone else that they won't just go the way of Sega.  The 3DS for them is doing fantastically well which is a big part of their company, they are just gonna have to trudge things out for as long as they can with the Wii U, get out a few more of the big games, before they start looking to their next console that will have to probably come out quicker than the Wii U did after the Wii if they can't get out of this slump at all.  The future for them does seem to be about interlinking the handheld with the console which is a good start for getting things on track, if not now, then for the next handheld and console.
I'm not saying colourful video games are for kids i'm saying nintendo has a persona of being for kids as a family console please don't misquote me. There's video games that are for children. And video games that are for children, and adults. Just like the looney tune cartoons kids can watch but it's humour is very much adult in nature. I know people don't like hearing it but no one gives a shit about mario for the most part, and it's the truth. Except for the hardcore fanbase who grew up with the nes in the 80s. Are the same people who are buying it today. There's no nice way of putting it. The casual fanbase of the Wii have left the Wii U and moved on to there ps4's,xboxones, and the smartphone market. There more than happy to play angry birds over mario after they got there short kicks.

As for the Wii think the Wii was kind of a failure maybe short term big success, but long term a failure. Everyone I recall who owned a wii, and as well as online they all seemed to have sold there wii after letting it collect dust, and none of them really bought games for it. If i'm getting it right from what I heard  they went for the casual fanbase, and more or less abandoned the hardcore audience with the wii except for a few jrpgs very late on. With the dwindling Wii sales they released the wii u.

The wii u can turn things around but 2 years on they haven't done much to turn things around. As you know first year there going up against xboxone, and ps4. The situation is bad, and I doubt any investor would want to back a company losing millions every year if that scenario happend.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:23:02 pm by dreama1 »

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2014, 10:36:37 pm »
I know people don't like hearing it but no one gives a shit about mario for the most part, and it's the truth.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 have sold over 15 million copies combined.  Super Mario 3D Land has done over 8 million in sales.  Even with a struggling Wii U, Super Mario 3D World has done 2 million in sales.  New Super Mario Bros U has done 4 million, though I'm sure a good bit of that was due to being a bundle package later on.  I'm not denying that there is technically a bigger mobile market which is held together by half-assed free to play games that is easier to pull people in, but people still like Mario.  The problem is that the average consumer just doesn't really understand the Wii U these days and Nintendo has struggled to really sell it to them.  People owning a 3DS certainly love the crap out of Mario and that's the "truth".

I also didn't misquote you.  You said that Nintendo "just puts out tired franchises, and for children at that"...That has nothing to do with Nintendo's "persona", which is that of family gaming.  That's calling Nintendo games as childish.  Sure, they don't have the more adult humor of your Loony Tunes example, but they are games made for everyone to enjoy, not just kids.  It's kind of the usual remark you see from the hardcore crowd on other systems that only see Mario as mascot for a kiddy console.

Warmsignal

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2014, 10:43:33 pm »
People don't care about Mario, they buy the games for Toad! :P

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2014, 10:46:51 pm »

Did you hear? That Toad explorer minigame that was in the 3D Mario games? Apparently it was so well received, they are gonna do more with him! SO MUCH HYPE!

:D

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2014, 10:54:20 pm »
I was going to write how I believe the Wii U is not a failure but ... FUCK IT

Nice :-)

dreama1

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2014, 10:54:38 pm »
I know people don't like hearing it but no one gives a shit about mario for the most part, and it's the truth.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 have sold over 15 million copies combined.  Super Mario 3D Land has done over 8 million in sales.  Even with a struggling Wii U, Super Mario 3D World has done 2 million in sales.  New Super Mario Bros U has done 4 million, though I'm sure a good bit of that was due to being a bundle package later on.  I'm not denying that there is technically a bigger mobile market which is held together by half-assed free to play games that is easier to pull people in, but people still like Mario.  The problem is that the average consumer just doesn't really understand the Wii U these days and Nintendo has struggled to really sell it to them.  People owning a 3DS certainly love the crap out of Mario and that's the "truth".

I also didn't misquote you.  You said that Nintendo "just puts out tired franchises, and for children at that"...That has nothing to do with Nintendo's "persona", which is that of family gaming.  That's calling Nintendo games as childish.  Sure, they don't have the more adult humor of your Loony Tunes example, but they are games made for everyone to enjoy, not just kids.  It's kind of the usual remark you see from the hardcore crowd on other systems that only see Mario as mascot for a kiddy console.
They were pack in games I remember seeing mario galaxy as a pack in game. And if yours didn't have it included I would say the only game most casuals would own for the Wii would be wii sports, and mario galaxy.

I see what you mean but realistically it's target audience is children, the father may join in and play with the son every full moon perhaps. But the reality of what adults are playing it isn't mario for the most part from the people i've known, and from polls. There's also adults that watch my little pony who will furiously defend it but it doesn't necessarily mean this is a regularity or change it's target audience. I feel people are just tired of seeing the same mascots selling there consoles. They thought they could try it again, and get away with it with the wii u but they walked into a sad awakening. Most people won't say it out loud, but looking around the internet with people who care more about saying what wants to be said than reality. Won't continue the dreamcast wasn't expecting to die as soon as it did either.

The mario games no doubt expertly designed, and highly creative but they still follow the same pattern as every other game. Most got tired of this along time ago except for the diehard nintendo fanatics that still refuse to get with the times, and Nintendo still operating like it's the 1980s. Always mario mario mario some people can't stand those games.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:01:25 pm by dreama1 »

Warmsignal

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2014, 10:58:56 pm »

Did you hear? That Toad explorer minigame that was in the 3D Mario games? Apparently it was so well received, they are gonna do more with him! SO MUCH HYPE!

:D

For real, that guy is underrated. He deserves his own chance in the spotlight, not to be some afterthought in the script of that narcissistic plumber. Toad Adventures U, I'm calling it right now. That just might move some consoles.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2014, 11:00:59 pm »
The Wii U is no doubt a financial failure at the moment, especially by Nintendo's standards. However, many are preaching gloom and doom regarding Nintendo as a whole company. The company is sitting on a Mountain of cash from the DS and Wii from last gen, not to mention two decades of financially successful hardware and software. Nintendo could release three system bombs in a row before any serious talk of the company as a whole could seriously be brought up.

Nailed it.

If Virtual Boy didn't kill them. The Wii U certainly won't.

sin2beta

« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2014, 11:14:37 pm »

Nailed it.

The latest episode of RadioFreeNintendo actually debated what is the biggest failure: the virtual boy or the WiiU. It's fairly interesting. Well worth a listen. It's a question at the end.

A recent number floating around is that the Dreamcast outsold the WiiU in the current timeframe. http://o.canada.com/technology/gaming/segas-failed-dreamcast-actually-outsold-the-wii-u/

The WiiU is strange territory for Nintendo. They almost never lose money on a system. However, they take a loss on each WiiU system sold. There is decent news though. They make a profit if that user buys two disc games or buys one digital game. This seems like a guarantee. I suspect the WiiU is going to be "break even" ground for Nintendo.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2014, 11:19:47 pm »

Nailed it.

The latest episode of RadioFreeNintendo actually debated what is the biggest failure: the virtual boy or the WiiU. It's fairly interesting. Well worth a listen. It's a question at the end.

A recent number floating around is that the Dreamcast outsold the WiiU in the current timeframe. http://o.canada.com/technology/gaming/segas-failed-dreamcast-actually-outsold-the-wii-u/

The WiiU is strange territory for Nintendo. They almost never lose money on a system. However, they take a loss on each WiiU system sold. There is decent news though. They make a profit if that user buys two disc games or buys one digital game. This seems like a guarantee. I suspect the WiiU is going to be "break even" ground for Nintendo.

Plays old wii games. Check.
Plays old virtual console purchases. Check.
Has more decent games than Virtual Boy. Check.
Has a sweet Metriod game... Crap.

Guys, we just found the problem. :-) somebody call nintendo!

Seriously though. It might be a bigger bomb for the big N financially, but I'm with redblaze. It's got enough solid games under it already that folks that bought it are in better shape than folks that bought into the Virtual Boy.

Also to assume Nintendo might fail as a company because of WiiU failing as a console ignores bikingjahuty's point. Nintendo has massive cash reserves.

Sega did not. Sega needed Dreamcast to be big because they were running on fumes.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 11:23:53 pm by dashv »