Author Topic: How many of you went and sold all your games back in the day?  (Read 4568 times)

teck

PRO Supporter

Re: How many of you went and sold all your games back in the day?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2014, 03:02:34 am »
I did this when I was 21 actually....  I had a pretty solid collection built because I didn't really trade my stuff in as a kid, and when I was 17 I got hired at Babbage's so I ended up getting into collecting pretty deep....  I had a slump of some sort when I was 20 and by the time I was 21 just spent very little time gaming....  I had made a lot of contacts in local trading and managed to part with my whole collection for about $4000....  It was barely 6 months later when I started to regret it....  :(  I forced myself some restraint for a while though....  It wasn't until I was 23 that I started really picking up games again....   When I was 25 I got into a heated bet with a collecting buddy who went through a similar situation and we spent the year of 2011 racing against each other to grow our collections....  We bet on New Years that the person who had a larger collection by the following New Years would receive a console of choice from the other....  I recall many fun times mass buying game gear games that year....  :P  I ended up winning by a small landslide because that year I got back into the game retail industry running a mom & pop shop....  My experiences during the year really helped me hone in on the best ways to get lots of games cheap....

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2014, 07:58:08 pm »
I sold a bunch of NES games back in the day when my older brother convinced me they looked more like Atari games than Nintendo. The comic book store we use to sell them to gave us the same price if it was complete or cartridge only. I saved the boxes to some of my later trades, and rebought most of them.

I also sold many Playstation games to EB when they use to give a fair price. Now I just keep everything once it's purchased.

tripredacus

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2014, 11:57:13 am »
I don't recall every selling my games, but I do know I don't have the ones from my childhood. As for where they went and under what circumstances, I don't recall. I did have 2 separate NES collections, one in the late 80s and another one in the mid 90s. Also my Atari 2600 collection from the mid 90s is also a mystery.

Man it would be just amazing if they were in some relative's storage or something.

maximo310

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 02:11:25 am »
I've generally kept most of the games from when i was growing and I only sold a few once at gamestop. I was near broke in 6th grade and really needed cash for school, so i sold a few gamecube games including super mario sunshine, star wars rogue squadron ii, wave race blue storm, and super monkey ball 1+2, and burnout much to the dismay of my younger bro, who burst into tears. However, i kept every other game,and recollected all of the games i sold except for wave race blue storm and burnout.

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2014, 10:42:15 pm »
i traded some in when i was a kid. however i sold my systems to my uncle. he still has them. i will get them back next time im in uk

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2014, 10:45:19 pm »
I've always traded in my games growing up just to get new ones, but once I started collecting I've gotten many duplicates that I sell off and I even sell off first copies if they aren't in great shape, but I wouldn't ever sell the copy of a game I've personally beaten.  If theres bills or anything or just getting a little low on funds I would have no problem selling games I've never played through and just want to play.  Or ones I played and never beat cause I didn't like them.