Author Topic: What do you think of as "fair" when dealing with a indie/retro game store?  (Read 2877 times)

I usually try to sell games in my ebay store first and then take the ones nobody wants to one of those stores.  Of course they don't give me anything for them, maybe $2 each or something, along with some attitude lol. 

dashv

PRO Supporter

I agree. I wouldn't trade at a store unless they offered "same value" trade in.

Since most don't I either hang on to what I have, or when the occasional dupe finds it's way to my home I either ebay it or trade it with someone.

Well since the store has a ton of overhead that will never happen....  Utilities, rent, licensing, payroll, etc. mean that there needs to be a significant gap between price items are bought at and sold at just to break even....  Any store offering more than 60% will go out of business anyways just because there will be too little profit to stay open....  That being said, the trick is to offer much larger amounts on the rare stuff to appear to have very good buying prices....  There is no good reason to buy common games for high rates as a retailer, but if someone brings you a Demon's Crest, you naturally be a bit more generous....

The local store I frequent here does in fact do same value trade ins. He's been doing it for months and recently moved into a larger store in a better location.

So there are ways to make the model work. He's obviously gotta be making it up through some other part of his business.

You are right it's not the norm.

turf

PRO Supporter

A lot of them will do it if you are trying in something sought after. If you were trading in, say a Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! You might get the full $20 if you bought some stuff that's been setting on the shelf for a while.

teck

PRO Supporter

A lot of them will do it if you are trying in something sought after. If you were trading in, say a Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! You might get the full $20 if you bought some stuff that's been setting on the shelf for a while.

I have not experienced this anywhere in the states of Arizona, California, Nevada, Montana, or New York....  Given I live in Arizona so that is the market I am most informed about and only trade in other states when I visit family, so it those times are few and far between....  I can't imagine this being profitable enough even for junker carts unless they are originally purchased at very low prices....  I would presume that having that much fluctuation on buying would lead to losing track of what has been spent quite easily....

turf

PRO Supporter

I have not experienced this anywhere in the states of Arizona, California, Nevada, Montana, or New York....  Given I live in Arizona so that is the market I am most informed about and only trade in other states when I visit family, so it those times are few and far between....  I can't imagine this being profitable enough even for junker carts unless they are originally purchased at very low prices....  I would presume that having that much fluctuation on buying would lead to losing track of what has been spent quite easily....

I use MTPO as an example because I've experienced that first hand. My local store will give me $20 credit for every one I find. He can't keep them in stock. Paying full price is better to him than turning a customer away.

teck

PRO Supporter

I use MTPO as an example because I've experienced that first hand. My local store will give me $20 credit for every one I find. He can't keep them in stock. Paying full price is better to him than turning a customer away.

That is literally unheard of out here....  Curiously, where are you from~?  Is this a practice that is wide spread in your area~?

turf

PRO Supporter

Arkansas. I only frequent one locally owned game store, so that's all I can testify to. I can see how it would help both parties out though. The store moves the stuff no one has heard of and always has the sought after stuff in stock.