Author Topic: Nintendo Switch 2  (Read 426 times)

Nintendo Switch 2
« on: February 28, 2024, 12:09:43 am »
I feel like rumors of the Switch 2 have been circulating for several years now, which supposed "leaks" claiming it's going to come out soon, or at least be announced, yet nothing has materialized so far. However, with Nintendo being a lot more quiet recently, especially on big first party releases, I have to wonder if this is the calm before the storm. Personally, I don't think the Switch 2 will be released in 2024, but I do think it will get officially revealed this year. Assuming the Switch 2 does come out in early 2025, it'll have been 8-years at that point since the Switch came out, which is long past the typical console lifecycle we usually see with consoles. Likewise, 2025 would place the other two competitors at their end of cycle date too, meaning we might start seeing PS6/Xbox Edition XXX (or whatever dumb name they end up calling it) news that same year with a possibly launch in 2026.

But anyhow, what do you think about the Switch 2 getting a reveal this year? Or do you think since the Switch is still very popular, it'll continue to receive support from Nintendo for another few years before we get a successor? Also, what games do you think Nintendo is holding back right now to release on the Switch 2 as launch games or games that''l bee released within months of launch?

Re: Nintendo Switch 2
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2024, 12:22:28 am »
As stated, I think 2024 will be the year we get to see the Switch 2, or whatever Nintendo calls it. I do think it'll be similar to the current Switch in terms of its hybrid handheld/console setup, however it'll have the added bonus of a 4k screen and games made to play in 4k too. I think the Switch 2 will be the last console to embrace physical media, however, I do think Nintendo will offer some SaaS subscription service that'll essentially be what they're currently doing with classic Nintendo games, but on steroids. It'll also be similar to Gamepass in that you can play a bunch of modern games too with your subscription, essentially phasing out on the need for physical media. Still, I think the option for physical carts will still be there. It will not be backwards compatible with the Switch, and instead offer Switch games on its Gamepass-like service. I think like the current gen Sony and MS consoles, the Switch 2 will likely have two variants with one being 100% digital only.

As for launch games, my money is on Mario Kart 9 being their killer app for the console at launch. My justification is MK8 was their best selling game on both the Switch and WiiU, and it's been nearly a decade since we last got a new Mario Kart game. Maybe not launch games, but here are a few more titles I can see being teased at the Switch 2's reveal, and released sometime in 2025 for the console.

-Metroid Prime 4
-New full 3D Mario Bros game
-New mainline Pokemon game(s), possibly a 5th gen remake
-New Animal Crossing Game
-Xenoblade 4

While I don't think it'll come out in 2025, I can also see a new Smash game being teased as well.

Obviously this is all mostly speculation, but it's also based on the info I offered above. At the very least it's fun to think of this sort of stuff and read what others think of it as well.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2024, 03:19:26 am »
I think we get the summer announcement of the Switch 2 and then the March 2025 release, which makes the most sense, same time frame as the original Switch, and this would also lead to Pokemon Legends Z-A releasing on Switch and as a Switch 2 launch title.  They don't have anything of note announced for the Switch for later this year, though they could still have something planned to announce within the next few months to have ready for this holiday season, but that there's nothing announced makes me think that's a good sign of prepping for the next gen.

I am going to say that it'll be backwards compatible, I think unless Nintendo is planning to do a drastically different method of physical media, something I don't even know what that could be, they'll keep the same media setup, so it can play Switch games, or play what will be higher storage Switch 2 carts.  Honestly, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed if it's not backwards compatible, that's kinda the only feature I care about with this.  I think for launch alongside Pokemon Legends, we would need to see something pretty impactful that is like THE Switch 2 launch release, and I think something like Metroid Prime 4 could be that.  That's been a game in development hell for so long, but that would be a big deal to have right out of the gate.

That's all of what I'd say for a launch window, to hard to guess what kind of games they will go for, though my one hope would be a new top down Zelda, not a remake, not in that lame Link's Awakening style, and actually letting a third party company handle it, like Capcom did in the past, or Cadence of Hyrule more recently, so we get a Zelda with some fresh eyes on the series.  That would honestly be something to get me super excited that's out of left field.

dhaabi

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2024, 01:48:02 pm »
Assuming the Switch 2 does come out in early 2025, it'll have been 8-years at that point since the Switch came out, which is long past the typical console lifecycle we usually see with consoles. Likewise, 2025 would place the other two competitors at their end of cycle date too, meaning we might start seeing PS6/Xbox Edition XXX (or whatever dumb name they end up calling it) news that same year with a possibly launch in 2026.

Well, Nintendo has been sitting comfortably in the eighth-generation since 2011 with the 3DS, so it's actually thirteen full years at the present moment, somehow. Although, if we're focusing on home consoles only, it's 2012 with the Wii U. I genuinely doubt tenth-generation news will be announced in 2025 for Sony and Microsoft. Their mid-generation console refreshes (e.g. PS5 Pro, Xbox Series X [insert term]) are planned to launch later this year (reportedly for Sony), so I wouldn't imagine for either to already be pushing announcements for successor systems. Looking at Sony's recent history, the PlayStation 4 released in November 2013 while the PlayStation 4 Pro released in November 2016. Later on, the PlayStation 5's formal announcement was April 2019, with a November 2020 release date. With that kind of timeline, there may not be formal news of a PlayStation 5 successor until 2027—late 2026 at the earliest.

I'm not keen on the "Switch 2" name, but I suppose that's the best way to retain your consumer base without confusing them, like what happened with the Wii U. Sony has stayed consistent throughout its entire console lineup, which has made it much easier for people to understand there's a clear difference between its products. I think Microsoft is still trying to figure out their situation in this regard nearly 25 years after entering the home console market, or maybe they're just running with the idea of naming their products poorly.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 02:08:29 pm by dhaabi »

telekill

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 07:42:06 am »
As it is, there's no reason for me to buy another Nintendo. For there to be any chance for me to bite, Switch backwards compatibility is a must. Otherwise, I'll be skipping Switch 2.

sworddude

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2024, 08:46:23 am »
As stated, I think 2024 will be the year we get to see the Switch 2, or whatever Nintendo calls it. I do think it'll be similar to the current Switch in terms of its hybrid handheld/console setup, however it'll have the added bonus of a 4k screen and games made to play in 4k too.

I think even a 4K screen is being optimistic Let alone games made to be played in 4K. I highly doubt it considering Nintendo's being low on them specs since Wii era.

I think the Switch 2 will be the last console to embrace physical media

Japan is quite the fiend With physical Media, And especially with that Nintendo Nostalgia I highly doubt switch 2 will be the last gen for physical

For the other consoles yes, but I don't think this will be the case with Nintendo.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 08:49:31 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2024, 09:46:30 am »
As stated, I think 2024 will be the year we get to see the Switch 2, or whatever Nintendo calls it. I do think it'll be similar to the current Switch in terms of its hybrid handheld/console setup, however it'll have the added bonus of a 4k screen and games made to play in 4k too.

I think even a 4K screen is being optimistic Let alone games made to be played in 4K. I highly doubt it considering Nintendo's being low on them specs since Wii era.

Nintendo has always gone low end for specs.  That's their whole thing and how they cornered the handheld market.

sworddude

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2024, 11:20:00 am »

Nintendo has always gone low end for specs.  That's their whole thing and how they cornered the handheld market.

Where talking consoles here though, not handhelds

Nintendo wasn't always about low specs to keep stuff cheap. during snes, N64 and cube era in terms of specs they where actually the most powerfull or far above average compared to competitors

Believe it or not a cube was twice times as powerfull compared to a Ps2 than again it does make sense why cube games look so much better compared to ps2 games, and while ps1 had discs for storage, in terms of raw power N64 had it beat for faster paced games and generally world generation it only lacked storage but if not for that it was far more powerfull than a ps1. And let us not start with the snes. It had the other notable competitors beat at everything barring blast processing.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 11:25:47 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

BinaryMessiah

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 12:04:37 pm »

Where talking consoles here though, not handhelds

Nintendo wasn't always about low specs to keep stuff cheap. during snes, N64 and cube era in terms of specs they where actually the most powerfull or far above average compared to competitors

Believe it or not a cube was twice times as powerfull compared to a Ps2 than again it does make sense why cube games look so much better compared to ps2 games, and while ps1 had discs for storage, in terms of raw power N64 had it beat for faster paced games and generally world generation it only lacked storage but if not for that it was far more powerfull than a ps1. And let us not start with the snes. It had the other notable competitors beat at everything barring blast processing.

The Gamecube being more powerful than the PS2 is pretty common knowledge. However, I believe they will finally reach 1080p status undocked and docked.

byron

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2024, 11:53:01 am »
The Switch 2 will come with a removable visor that allows you to strap it to your face and use it as a VR headset. It will also have scented controllers. My uncle works at Nintendo and he told me.