Author Topic: Game controller for Windows 3x  (Read 1239 times)

90snostalga

Game controller for Windows 3x
« on: May 19, 2014, 05:44:47 am »
I have a Gravis basic gameport game pad but I cant figure out how to get it to work within Windows 3.11.  Any one know if Windows 3.1 can even use gameport joysticks/gamepads, and if so, how and which ones?

tripredacus

Re: Game controller for Windows 3x
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 03:00:05 pm »
I have found that some use a Gravis Utilities, have you tried it? I found some version of it here (maybe)
http://www.gravisultrasound.com/utilities.htm

90snostalga

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 08:28:14 am »
I have found that some use a Gravis Utilities, have you tried it? I found some version of it here (maybe)
http://www.gravisultrasound.com/utilities.htm

You are a genius!  I have downloaded them but have not tried them yet.  I am still in the process of building my second gaming computer which will be a 6.22/windows 3.1 computer.  I wanted to install windows 3.1/6.22 in my current computer with all my windows 9x os's; however, I cannot get the onboard audio or my pci audio to work with 3.1, so thats why im building a second one with 2 ISA slots.

atariboy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 10:11:48 pm »
Ha!  I've been looking at building a computer with windows 3.1. I would love to play some of my old floppy 5.25 Disks on a old machine. Good luck with your build and I would love to se pics. I think I may have found a computer that I may be able to do that with but not sure yet. I do have a computer with windows 98SE for some classic gaming but to have one that would play with the old floppy's would be great. Good luck with your build.
Now Playing: Lollipop Chainsaw

90snostalga

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 10:17:44 am »
Ha!  I've been looking at building a computer with windows 3.1. I would love to play some of my old floppy 5.25 Disks on a old machine. Good luck with your build and I would love to se pics. I think I may have found a computer that I may be able to do that with but not sure yet. I do have a computer with windows 98SE for some classic gaming but to have one that would play with the old floppy's would be great. Good luck with your build.

Thanks.  This would be my second.  I have one that I done for Windows 95-XP all in one multi boot machine.  I still need a couple things like a hard drive cooler but I'll have to order one of those.  I wanted the 3.1 in the same machine as the 9x; however, It seems impossible for the sound to work with the onboard audio and my pci sound card even tho' researching online says the sound will work for 3.1 I cannot get it to.  So I just decided to take this old Packard Bell Win98 computer I had and restore it to see if 3.1 sound will work in it.  Someone gave me a 5.25 floppy drive the other day for my old floppies; however, it wont read the disks unfortunately  :(.  The motor spins and everything but no reading.

I never used DOS 6.22/3.1 in the early 90s so Im so new to it and installing sound seems to be like a big hassle compared to every other version of Windows. 

90snostalga

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:20:40 am »

Let me know the progress of your 3.1 machine.  I have found myself really into old computer games and builds.  If you get it to work correctly, please let me know how you got the audio to work because I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure it out on 6.22/3.1. 

tripredacus

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:03:39 pm »
A good alternative to building a big-old retro PC might be to get an old notebook with docking station. I have 4 notebooks with old OSes that I have used for that purpose.

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 03:42:00 pm »
I used to use a gravis back then, I remember you have to configure it in the hardware/control settings part.  I've used Macs for so long I don't remember what it was called...control panel?