Author Topic: Can someone explain the post-death SEGA obsession?  (Read 3863 times)

Can someone explain the post-death SEGA obsession?
« on: May 26, 2014, 05:56:18 pm »
console wise. People who did not care about sega, people who avoided the Saturn/dc, etc, every year since 7th gen started segas consoles get growing praise, credit they dont deserve, and some of the bad or lessor games are now must have expensive gems. Sega also has the second largest homebrew community thats rapidly growing. I can see guilt as a reason for some people, but what about the rest?

With that said, I have nothing against SEGA so dont read this with that mindset. Just not sure why no one has similar reactions to other game companies. Just so much rose tinted praise seems strange to me.

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Can someone explain the post-death SEGA obsession?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 06:38:47 pm »
I always wanted a Genesis as a kid. But we were a Nintendo household.

My wife grew up with the opposite.

My model 1 Genesis and all but 6 of my 72 game Genesis collection is thanks to her. :)

With all it's graphics and sound prowess I do wonder why SNES doesn't have a bigger home brew community.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 07:03:32 pm »
I think it is because back when systems were new, most of us had to pick just one. Now, we have a little extra scratch and the systems and games are cheaper (for the most part). Not many people chose the the Saturn over the Playstation or N64.

Sega made good systems and games. We just didn't know it until it was too late.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 07:30:41 pm »
I think it is because back when systems were new, most of us had to pick just one. Now, we have a little extra scratch and the systems and games are cheaper (for the most part). Not many people chose the the Saturn over the Playstation or N64.

New systems ate expensive. Compared to 5th and 6th

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 07:44:14 pm »

Turf is right though that both myself and my parents have more "disposable" income than either of us had when I was a kid.

Them because us kids are grown and moved away and they've gone on to make more through raises exp etc. Me because they taught me the life skills I needed to get a better job from the start than they had at my age.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 07:45:57 pm by dashv »

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 08:24:07 pm »
Your situation is circumstantial and anecdotal.

Turf is right though that both myself and my parents have more "disposable" income than either of us had when I was a kid.

Them because us kids are grown and moved away and they've gone on to make more through raises exp etc. Me because they taught me the life skills I needed to get a better job from the start than they had at my age.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:27:59 pm »

Turf is right

People say that a lot.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 08:40:57 pm »
Oh boy, lol.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 09:22:06 pm »

Fair enough. If you want facts and sources, not casual conversation, turfs statement is backed up more concretely by reports compiled by the US Government.

http://www.bls.gov/cex/anthology/csxanth10.pdf

From page 1:
Over the past half-century, the increase in incomes and decline in hours worked have allowed American consumers to enjoy more leisure time and increase their spending on entertainment. In 2000, spending on entertainment by American consumers totaled approximately $203 billion (see table 1)

I'll admit that while the article above explains the general phenomenon of spending on entertainment increasing it does not address or acknowledge the trend you mentioned (sources please) for people developing a latent love bias for all things Sega.

I'd probably need to dig through some psych papers for more concrete info on that. :)

Can I get back to you? :)

Just having a bit of fun. Please don't take offense to this post. I honestly think turf is spot on.

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 09:29:30 pm »
2000? What imaginary u.s. Post 2008 do you live in were spending has "increased" when spending is reportedly down? But I get the point you are trying to make.

Fair enough. If you want facts and sources, not casual conversation, turfs statement is backed up more concretely by reports compiled by the US Government.

From page 1:
Over the past half-century, the increase in incomes and decline in hours worked have allowed American consumers to enjoy more leisure time and increase their spending on entertainment. In 2000, spending on entertainment by American consumers totaled approximately $203 billion (see table 1)

I'll admit that while the article above explains the general phenomenon of spending on entertainment increasing it does not address or acknowledge the trend you mentioned (sources please) for people developing a latent love bias for all things Sega.

I'd probably need to dig through some psych papers for more concrete info on that. :)

Just having a bit of fun. Please don't take offense to this post. I honestly think turf is spot on.

argyle

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 09:41:45 pm »
This thread got...weird.   :o

Anyway, for the record I wasn't & still am not a fan of any Sega console outside of the Dreamcast, and I've had that since it launched so I was hardly a bandwagon jumper.  ;) 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 09:48:52 pm »
This thread got...weird.   :o

Anyway, for the record I wasn't & still am not a fan of any Sega console outside of the Dreamcast, and I've had that since it launched so I was hardly a bandwagon jumper.  ;)

politics was getting in lol. Dreamcast is a good system but dome of the fans are s little nuts. Like being the first internet console or the xbox would not exist if it succeded.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 09:49:17 pm »
2000? What imaginary u.s. Post 2008 do you live in were spending has "increased" when spending is reportedly down? But I get the point you are trying to make.

From page 1:

While spending is currently down compared to mid 2005 levels it's still higher than it was in the 80s and 90s.

You've got me genuinely curious about the psychological phenomenon of things that were not of worth originally being of great worth later. I don't think it's limited to Sega Genesis though.

I mean how many people are looking for Turbo Express, 3DO, CDi, etc. Just for the sake of having them and playing (in the CDi's case) the 1 or 2 games worth playing?

Is it the rarity that lures them? The perceived $$ value? Or is it the lure of something they never had?

I am honestly curious as all hell now. :)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 09:51:27 pm »
politics was getting in lol.

was it politics? Or religion?

;)

*ducks*

Warmsignal

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 10:02:14 pm »
As a kid, I liked the Genesis and played it occasionally. When you're a kid, your parents only spend so much on video games. The Dreamcast I loved, but it died so quickly I didn't have much time with it because it was a "shared" console with someone who spent ages playing Phantasy Star Online every day. I got my Saturn back in 2002 but even then games were impossible to find and really expensive and that always held me back from it. I always liked Sega, it just wasn't available enough to me. Wasn't then, and it's still not. I'm definitely not obsessed, but I like Sega as well as anything else, and I enjoy the games that they put out to this day. There's no good reason to dislike Sega.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:04:01 pm by Warmsignal »