Author Topic: Can someone explain the post-death SEGA obsession?  (Read 3864 times)

Re: Can someone explain the post-death SEGA obsession?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 10:05:55 pm »
cdi was the first console with modern internet with the first worldwide online multiplayer on console, downloadable demod, web browsing, email, and dlc. Theres 5666556 different versions of the thing, it can play cdi, but also could be a video cd and audio cd player, and has about 10 games worth owning. it was sonys first taste of video game hardware as well since they made a cdi player before the nintendo deal happened. The history and technical impressiveNess is enough to understand why cdi has a big following. The others however... Not sure.
2000? What imaginary u.s. Post 2008 do you live in were spending has "increased" when spending is reportedly down? But I get the point you are trying to make.
Your situation is circumstantial and anecdotal.

Fair enough. If you want facts and sources, not casual conversation, turfs statement is backed up more concretely by reports compiled by the US Government.

http://www.bls.gov/cex/anthology/csxanth10.pdf

From page 1:
Over the past half-century, the increase in incomes and decline in hours worked have allowed American consumers to enjoy more leisure time and increase their spending on entertainment. In 2000, spending on entertainment by American consumers totaled approximately $203 billion (see table 1)

I'll admit that while the article above explains the general phenomenon of spending on entertainment increasing it does not address or acknowledge the trend you mentioned (sources please) for people developing a latent love bias for all things Sega.

I'd probably need to dig through some psych papers for more concrete info on that. :)

Can I get back to you? :)

Just having a bit of fun. Please don't take offense to this post. I honestly think turf is spot on.

While spending is currently down compared to mid 2005 levels it's still higher than it was in the 80s and 90s.

You've got me genuinely curious about the psychological phenomenon of things that were not of worth originally being of great worth later. I don't think it's limited to Sega Genesis though.

I mean how many people are looking for Turbo Express, 3DO, CDi, etc. Just for the sake of having them and playing (in the CDi's case) the 1 or 2 games worth playing?

Is it the rarity that lures them? The perceived $$ value? Or is it the lure of something they never had?

I am honestly curious as all hell now. :)

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 10:07:25 pm »
Yeah I think it also was simply easier for to stick with one brand when we were younger and now that collecting games has taken off, and the internet has shown off all these games people never played, it really opened Sega back for everyone who realized they had a bunch of good games over the years.  I know I'd love to get a Sega Saturn or CD and dive into some of those games.  Lesser so the Dreamcast though, I haven't see much that hit me there.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 10:08:53 pm »
Sonic, Streets of Rage, and a bloody Mortal Kombat were why I wanted one.

Only got to play the above on occasion at my friends house.

I wanted a SNES too. For MK II, Mario All-Stars (lost levels), and Smash TV.

I do have a strange obsession with acquiring a Sega CDX. It's not at all rational. I only have 2 Sega CD games and they play fine on my xbox.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:12:40 pm by dashv »

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2014, 10:12:57 pm »
Smash tv was a smash hit. Lol.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 10:22:29 pm »
Smash tv was a smash hit. Lol.

Yeah, Total Carnage was kinda a disappointment though. Somehow the SNES version didn't live up to the arcade for me. But Smash TV for SNES is pure awesome.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2014, 10:29:08 pm »
Their game series are enough explanation:

-Comix Zone
-Crazy Taxi
-Daytona USA
-Golden Axe
-House of the Dead
-Jet Set Radio
-Panzer Dragoon
-Phantasy Star
-Shenmue
-Shining Force
-Shinobi
-Sonic the Hedgehog
-Space Harrier
-Streets of Rage
-Vectorman
-Virtua Cop
-Virtua Fighter
-X-Men

Not to mention all the great third-party games on their systems.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:34:39 pm by burningdoom »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 10:31:57 pm »
More on the topic of the initial post. Wikipedia has a pretty interesting (if not controversial) article on the physiology of collecting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_of_collecting

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 11:11:43 pm »
I have always preferred Sega over its competition, with the exception of gen 5. During gen 4 I had both a Genesis and SNES and I played my Genesis 10-times more then my SNES. And when the Dreamcast came out I barely played my PS1, PS2, and N64 for the year and a half it was around. I have always loved Sega and still do even though a Sega console has not been released in almost 15-years. I think most people who love the Dreamcast with such passion or other Sega consoles are people who either owned these consoles at one point or had enough experience with them to appreciate them, even years later. I believe that these incredible consoles deserve the homebrew support they receive and honestly I think it is one of the coolest things ever that these systems still have so much interest in them. I'd love to see homebrews sprout up for other retro consoles as well, but for whatever reason Sega consoles get a lot of attention still. I'd be lying if I said I at least didn't partially understand.

retromangia

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 03:44:41 am »
Hey Jakandsig,

I see you love the CD-i like me... you need to check out my channel... I have some great CD-i reviews... check it out ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9jYCMLifSY

enjoy!

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 06:55:03 am »
As mentioned above, Sega has some incredible games and franchises. I always preferred Genesis over SNES because even then I could see that Sega had a more adult oriented library and I was in my early 20's at that time and gravitated to shmups and racing games like Road Rash over bouncing plumbers and cartoon dinosaurs.

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2014, 07:00:35 am »
More on the topic of the initial post. Wikipedia has a pretty interesting (if not controversial) article on the physiology of collecting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychology_of_collecting

Freud himself took a more extreme position on the origins of collecting. Not surprisingly, he postulated that all collecting stems from unresolved toilet training conflict. Freud took the stance that the loss of bowel control was a traumatic experience, and the product from the bowels was disgusting and frightening to the child. Therefore the collector is trying to gain back control of their bowels as well as their "possessions" which were long flushed down the toilet.

Freud is a freak. I don't collect Atari games because I literally lost my shit when I was a kid.  :o

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2014, 10:40:24 am »
Hey Jakandsig,

I see you love the CD-i like me... you need to check out my channel... I have some great CD-i reviews... check it out ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9jYCMLifSY

enjoy!

Ok, let's not jump to far in there. i am a collector and appreciate good history and technology of the system. but it's still a piece of plastic.