Author Topic: Retron 5 an In-depth Review (Updated 6/14/2014)  (Read 31644 times)

pacpix

Re: Retron 5 First Impressions
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 07:36:58 pm »
Thanks for the thorough review on the console.  I will probably pick one up sometime this summer.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

Bwigdahl

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 08:52:35 pm »
Local store here just got some in. Selling them for 180. I'm still gonna wait, but it's good to see that they seem to be addressing the issues quickly with the firmware updates.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 07:54:24 am »
Local store here just got some in. Selling them for 180. I'm still gonna wait, but it's good to see that they seem to be addressing the issues quickly with the firmware updates.

Whoa, way too much.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 12:44:03 am »

Whoa, way too much.

I agree. Way too much.

Heads up. I've massively updated the compatibility list to reflect the situation with save games and a second contributor has joined the compatibility effort.

MMan!

He's even providing in game video so you can see how it looks and sounds on the Retron 5. :)

abe

Re: Retron 5 an In-depth Review
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2014, 02:57:51 pm »
When you say it's HDMI only, does that mean we're stuck with HDMI for both video and audio output?
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 10:50:42 pm »
When you say it's HDMI only, does that mean we're stuck with HDMI for both video and audio output?

For audio and video there is only an HDMI out.

If you want stereo RCA and Composite you will need to buy an HDMI to RCA converter.

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 06:38:17 pm »
http://vgcollect.com/item/54836
http://vgcollect.com/item/54837

Should it be set to Unofficial or official release?

abe

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 12:23:19 pm »

Pat the NES Punk just posted a fairly in-depth review of the Retron 5. I thought it was pretty helpful and worth watching. It's nice to see that more and more people are getting to reviewing the console, though its flaws are really starting to show through now.  :-\
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

foxhack

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 04:05:51 pm »
http://vgcollect.com/item/54836
http://vgcollect.com/item/54837

Should it be set to Unofficial or official release?

It's clone hardware, therefore unofficial (unlicensed) since it's not approved by the original hardware creator.

Re: Retron 5 an In-depth Review (Updated 6/14/2014)
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2014, 07:25:37 pm »
Anyone use the Retron 3? I'm thinking of grabbing it for just general game playing since I can't manage to put together a working NES or get the cords I need for a Genesis, so why not save money and get the Retron 3 for like 40 bucks where it plays both.  I'd get the Retron 5, but it's way too costly right now.  I understand some of the limitations the system has, though I was curious about whether it had the same saving/loading issues that I saw the Retron 5 had.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2014, 09:11:15 pm »
Anyone use the Retron 3? I'm thinking of grabbing it for just general game playing since I can't manage to put together a working NES or get the cords I need for a Genesis, so why not save money and get the Retron 3 for like 40 bucks where it plays both.  I'd get the Retron 5, but it's way too costly right now.  I understand some of the limitations the system has, though I was curious about whether it had the same saving/loading issues that I saw the Retron 5 had.

If the Retron 5 is out of your price range you should actually go for the Super Retro Trio. It has better compatibility than the Retron 3 and way better controllers.

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 09:50:57 pm »

If the Retron 5 is out of your price range you should actually go for the Super Retro Trio. It has better compatibility than the Retron 3 and way better controllers.

Is it 30 to 40 bucks better than the Retron 3?

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 09:53:39 pm »

Haven't directly compared the 2. But the consensus seems to be higher compatibility and better controllers on the SRT. I guess it's up to you what that's worth. :)

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 09:56:08 pm »

Haven't directly compared the 2. But the consensus seems to be higher compatibility and better controllers on the SRT. I guess it's up to you what that's worth. :)

That's true.  Controllers might not be a big deal, since I have SNES and NES controllers, though maybe not working Genesis controllers that I've come to find...The compatibility is debatable for me since I assume that Sonic & Knuckles continues to not work right on it which sucks, but watching Retron 5 reviews, the non-working games seemed to be either the multi-carts, weird carts, or more obscure titles and I'm more focusing on the more known games to play right now with these systems.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 11:33:48 pm »

That's true.  Controllers might not be a big deal, since I have SNES and NES controllers, though maybe not working Genesis controllers that I've come to find...The compatibility is debatable for me since I assume that Sonic & Knuckles continues to not work right on it which sucks, but watching Retron 5 reviews, the non-working games seemed to be either the multi-carts, weird carts, or more obscure titles and I'm more focusing on the more known games to play right now with these systems.

I have been actively testing the last few beta builds of the next Retron 5 firmware and I have to say. The next update is going to be effing amazing. Compatibility was already at 97% with what's been tested with the current public firmware... After this next update they are going to be 98-99.

These guys are working their asses off. In some cases they have literally fixed games on the spot after I sent them a screenshot. :P