Author Topic: Retro Collections on Disc  (Read 7888 times)

trunkwontopen

Re: Retro Collections on Disc
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2014, 12:09:57 am »
I cannot say if the Wii versions have issues, but it's likely they don't, because Terminal Reality most likely fixed all the bugs they left in the PS2 versions by then. :p

I have the Wii version of MSA, and it works fine, even with Wavebird controllers.

abe

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2014, 10:42:14 am »
Has anyone here had any experience with the PSP versions of those four SNK compilations? Would the issues with the console versions be made worse on the PSP?
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 11:10:09 am »
So I was going through the games I picked up this weekend and testing them last night.  I popped in the Activision Anthology for the PS2, which I stumbled across at a Gamestop for about $0.65.  And man, this is a REALLY impressive collection!  It's not the emulation that's impressive - let's face it, it doesn't take much to emulate Atari 2600 games ;) - or the selection, which is pretty much every Activision game ever released for the 2600.  It's everything they did AROUND the games that really puts it over the top.  When you start the game, the main menu is a room setup like it's from the 80's.  One of the first things I noticed was a radio that was playing classic 80's songs.  That alone is impressive, because who goes out of their way to license music for a retro collection?

When you actually play the games, as you progress in each one you start unlocking things.  At first it's simple stuff like weird play modes (first one I unlocked was a "tilt" mode that constantly tilts the screen at different angles - weird, and not really conducive to playing a game.  ;)  But the second thing I unlocked (playing River Raid) was the original TV ad for the game.  Now that was VERY cool!  I'm really wanting to put more time into the set now to see what other goodies are hidden there, and that's saying something because I thought I had played all of the 2600 I ever wanted to in my lifetime.  :P  Oh, one other cool touch I noticed - pressing the triangle button will toggle you between color & black & white mode, so if you gamed on a b/w tv back in the day you can even recreate that experience.  Just very, very cool. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 12:00:29 pm »
^ The 80s bedroom is the best touch.

foxhack

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 12:16:01 pm »
So I was going through the games I picked up this weekend and testing them last night.  I popped in the Activision Anthology for the PS2, which I stumbled across at a Gamestop for about $0.65.  And man, this is a REALLY impressive collection!  It's not the emulation that's impressive - let's face it, it doesn't take much to emulate Atari 2600 games ;) - or the selection, which is pretty much every Activision game ever released for the 2600.  It's everything they did AROUND the games that really puts it over the top.  When you start the game, the main menu is a room setup like it's from the 80's.  One of the first things I noticed was a radio that was playing classic 80's songs.  That alone is impressive, because who goes out of their way to license music for a retro collection?

When you actually play the games, as you progress in each one you start unlocking things.  At first it's simple stuff like weird play modes (first one I unlocked was a "tilt" mode that constantly tilts the screen at different angles - weird, and not really conducive to playing a game.  ;)  But the second thing I unlocked (playing River Raid) was the original TV ad for the game.  Now that was VERY cool!  I'm really wanting to put more time into the set now to see what other goodies are hidden there, and that's saying something because I thought I had played all of the 2600 I ever wanted to in my lifetime.  :P  Oh, one other cool touch I noticed - pressing the triangle button will toggle you between color & black & white mode, so if you gamed on a b/w tv back in the day you can even recreate that experience.  Just very, very cool.

It's too bad they had to cut out some stuff.

(I created that page and found all that info on my own.)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2014, 12:51:57 pm »
Know how I said I freaking love these things earlier in the thread? I was serious. Here's my compilation collection, there's really only a small handful out there I still want.

-Activision Anthology
-Atari Anthology
-Capcom Classics Collection Vol. 1 & 2
-Capcom Classics Collection Mini Mix
-Data East Arcade Classics
-Dungeons & Dragons Anthology: The Master Collection
-Mega Man Anniversary Collection
-Mega Man X Collection
-Metal Slug Anthology
-Midway Arcade Treasures Vol. 1 & 2, & Vol. 3: Racing
-Namco Museum
-Pinball Hall of Fame: The Gottileb Collection
-Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection
-Raiden Fighters Aces
-Sega Classics Collection (Sega Ages Collection)
-Sega Genesis Collection
-SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1
-Sonic Gems Collection
-Sonic Mega Collection Plus
-Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Colleciton
-Street Fighter Anniversary Collection
-Super Mario All-Stars
-Taito Legends 1 & 2
-Tecmo Classic Arcade

I still want:

-Gradius III & IV
-Intellivision Lives
-Mega Man Zero Collection
-R-Types
-Raiden Project
-Samurai Shodown Anthology
-Street Fighter Alpha Anthology

And I probably should upgrade my Namco Museum to Namco Museum: 50th Anniversary. I already tried on PS2, but found it's incompatible with my model of PS2 Slim. So I have to find an XBox copy.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:16:19 pm by burningdoom »

soera

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2014, 01:00:03 pm »
I should start picking these up. Its probably a good way to get a bunch of games for cheap.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2014, 11:29:45 am »
You can call the Nes Remix games as "Retro Collection Discs" since there coming to retail stores
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2014, 12:59:11 pm »
You can call the Nes Remix games as "Retro Collection Discs" since there coming to retail stores

Isn't just mini-games thrown at you one after the other? You can't actually play the games in full, can you?

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2014, 01:20:50 pm »

Isn't just mini-games thrown at you one after the other? You can't actually play the games in full, can you?

You can't play full games. 

How badass would it be if you could unlock each full game.  Maybe once you finish each set of challenges you unlock the full game.  That would give you some serious bang for your buck.

thekosmickollector

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2014, 02:57:59 pm »
Hm, I really love these too but the only ones I own right now are the Mega Drive Ultimate Collection on PS3 and Sonic Mega Collection Plus for the PS2. It's quite cool being able to play the Game Gear Sonic games on PS2 with the Mega Collection but the port of Sonic 1 on Mega Drive was really bad in my case. It's really slowed down to a grind, which obviously is bad for a Sonic game :P

I'd like to see a really good Sonic collection, with everything from the Mega Collection and the Gems Collection, plus a few others like Adventure and Heroes. It'd be a stretch but I know I'd pay bloody good money for it.

Some other collections I'd like are:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater Collection:
Tony Hawk's Skateboarding (Pro Skater 1)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
And then maybe have the PS1 versions of 3 and 4 as well

id Collection:
Wolfenstein 3D
Doom
Doom II
Quake
Quake II

Master System Ultimate Collection:
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic 2
R - Type
Alien Syndrome
Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Alex Kidd in Shinobi World
Shinobi
World Grand Prix
Golden Axe

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2014, 05:56:15 pm »

... oh god you made me remember that Metal Slug one. If you enjoy waiting a third of a second for your button presses to register, then it's for you!

#gamersfirstproblems

...wow making a hash tag joke feels wrong. but outside of games where will you ever hear someone complain about less than a second?

foxhack

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2014, 06:13:19 pm »

... oh god you made me remember that Metal Slug one. If you enjoy waiting a third of a second for your button presses to register, then it's for you!

#gamersfirstproblems

...wow making a hash tag joke feels wrong. but outside of games where will you ever hear someone complain about less than a second?
When that less than a second means you're gonna die because your timing is off because SNK Pee hired a goddamn incompetent developer to make the port instead of doing it in-house or even hiring someone good like G1M2?

DAMN RIGHT I'M GONNA COMPLAIN.

argyle

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2014, 09:19:19 pm »
Wow - so I was browsing one of my local Gamestops today and I saw this:

Includes 15 classic arcade games:
BurgerTime
Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory (the rare sequel to Burger Time)
Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja
Burnin' Rubber
Caveman Ninja
Crude Buster
Express Raider
Heavy Barrel
Lock n' Chase
Magical Drop III - Secret Agent
Side Pocket
Street Hoop
Super Real Darwin
Wizard Fire

I didn't know that existed, and would have snatched it on the spot (it was only $7) but it was disk only, so I passed.  When I just went to find that cover image to post here, however, I discovered that apparently it's rare - the cheapest disk-only copy listed on Ebay is listed for $30, and the Gamestop stock tracker says there's not another one within 100 miles of me.  So looks like I'm going to break my "no disk-only Wii games" policy this once and go pick that up tomorrow.  Looks like a really cool collection!  :D
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2014, 11:15:55 pm »
Wow - so I was browsing one of my local Gamestops today and I saw this:

Includes 15 classic arcade games:
BurgerTime
Peter Pepper's Ice Cream Factory (the rare sequel to Burger Time)
Bad Dudes vs. Dragon Ninja
Burnin' Rubber
Caveman Ninja
Crude Buster
Express Raider
Heavy Barrel
Lock n' Chase
Magical Drop III - Secret Agent
Side Pocket
Street Hoop
Super Real Darwin
Wizard Fire

I didn't know that existed, and would have snatched it on the spot (it was only $7) but it was disk only, so I passed.  When I just went to find that cover image to post here, however, I discovered that apparently it's rare - the cheapest disk-only copy listed on Ebay is listed for $30, and the Gamestop stock tracker says there's not another one within 100 miles of me.  So looks like I'm going to break my "no disk-only Wii games" policy this once and go pick that up tomorrow.  Looks like a really cool collection!  :D

I've got this one. Pretty fun collection. But as you play through it you begin to understand why they're no longer around. There's a lot of sameness, almost copy and paste stuff going on between these games.