Author Topic: Retro Collections on Disc  (Read 7805 times)

Re: Retro Collections on Disc
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2014, 04:40:28 pm »
Why would they, they could sell each game for 2-10 dollars on the virtual console.
I would love to see a best of commodore 64 or 'the hidden gems of the 3do'

Exactly.  They have so many more places to sell those games now, like phones & tablets.  The heyday of those was the PS2 generation before all the online stores, I think the Taito Legends 2 was probably the greatest.  What I would like is for Nintendo to do one of their old arcade games like Donkey Kong and Punch Out!, I don't know why it's so hard to get a great home version of Donkey Kong?

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 08:07:48 pm »
Why would they, they could sell each game for 2-10 dollars on the virtual console.
I would love to see a best of commodore 64 or 'the hidden gems of the 3do'

Exactly.  They have so many more places to sell those games now, like phones & tablets.  The heyday of those was the PS2 generation before all the online stores, I think the Taito Legends 2 was probably the greatest.  What I would like is for Nintendo to do one of their old arcade games like Donkey Kong and Punch Out!, I don't know why it's so hard to get a great home version of Donkey Kong?

How about a disc with:
Donkey Kong (Arcade, Atari 2600, NES and Revisited version)
Donkey Kong JR (Arcade, NES and Revisited version)
Donkey Kong 3 (Arcade, NES and Revisited version)
Donkey Kong JR Math (Take it or leave it ;))
Donkey Kong 64 (Enhanced version)
The Donkey Kong Construction Set (Made Up)

Donkey Kong Library ^^
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 03:06:48 am »
^ If they're gonna do that, I think it should include the Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Land games. They're small enough, and great games.

koemo1

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 09:14:56 am »
Is there a double dragon compilation disc?
Currently playing:
Rogue Trooper [xbox]
Days Gone [ps4]

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 02:04:38 pm »
It's be nice if they did. But the Double Dragon games are so hit or miss. The first one was great, the 2nd one sucked because of the weird right/left attack controls, the 3rd one got back on track, then the first SNES entry got goofy. And so on.

90snostalga

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 04:18:31 pm »
I asked this in my Neo Geo post but just in case any one on this post did not see it, any good Neo Geo compilation discs?

argyle

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 04:44:43 pm »
BTW, Target has the Genesis Collection for the PS3 (maybe 360 as well, not sure) on sale for $10.50.  Cheapest I've seen it - I ordered one this morning for in-store pickup and its waiting on me now.  :)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

foxhack

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 06:34:12 pm »
Is there a double dragon compilation disc?

Nope, the better Double Dragon games are on the NES and for some reason nobody ever seems to want to emulate those games outside of Nintendo systems.

I asked this in my Neo Geo post but just in case any one on this post did not see it, any good Neo Geo compilation discs?

Yes, and no. The better game sets were on the PS2, released under this series in Japan:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo_Geo_Online_Collection

Of those, we got the Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, World Heroes and Samurai Shodown Anthology sets, as well as KOF '98 Ultimate Match, released in the USA. The Garou, Last Blade, KOF Orochi / Nests, Sunsoft and Fu'un discs were not released overseas. There's also ADK Tamashii which has some ADK games (Ninja Commando, Ninja Combat, Aggressors of Dark Kombat, Twinkle Star Sprites, and Ninja Master's.)

SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 on the PS2 has quite a few emulation and censorship issues but it has some decent games and bonuses. I've heard the Wii version fixed several speed issues, but I have not confirmed that personally.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, GET KOF: THE OROCHI SAGA (US version) ON THE PS2. IT'S CRAP, WE SHOULD'VE GOTTEN THE JAPANESE SETS, BUT SNK PEE SUCKS AND WE GOT THAT CRAP INSTEAD.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 07:48:04 pm »
I've heard people mention emulation issues on the SNK Arcade Classics collection on PS2. I have the game and freaking love it. I've never had any major issues with the games while playing them. But then, I've never owned an actual MVS or AES to compare, either.

There's also a Metal Slug Anthology and Samurai Shodown Anthology on PS2 & Wii. As well as a King of Fighters collection, but I recently heard someone say it was terrible, on this site. I've never played the KoF one, so I can't vouch for it. However the Metal Slug one is great run-n-gun action! I highly recommend it!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:51:17 pm by burningdoom »

foxhack

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 07:56:59 pm »
I've heard people mention emulation issues on the SNK Arcade Classics collection on PS2. I have the game and freaking love it. I've never had any major issues with the games while playing them. But then, I've never owned an actual MVS or AES to compare, either.

There's also a Metal Slug Anthology and Samurai Shodown Anthology on PS2 & Wii. As well as a King of Fighters collection, but I recently heard someone say it was terrible, on this site. I've never played the KoF one, so I can't vouch for it. However the Metal Slug one is great run-n-gun action! I highly recommend it!

... oh god you made me remember that Metal Slug one. If you enjoy waiting a third of a second for your button presses to register, then it's for you!

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 07:57:52 pm »
i want to see more remakes like ducktales.
i thought that was really well done

argyle

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 10:59:17 pm »

... oh god you made me remember that Metal Slug one. If you enjoy waiting a third of a second for your button presses to register, then it's for you!

Is that just a issue w/ the PS2 version?  Because I picked the Wii version up a couple weeks back & played just a little of it to make sure it ran ok, and I didn't notice any issues like that. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

90snostalga

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 11:52:43 pm »

Is that just a issue w/ the PS2 version?  Because I picked the Wii version up a couple weeks back & played just a little of it to make sure it ran ok, and I didn't notice any issues like that.

Hmm....I think I'm going to getting them all on Wii instead of PS2 because thats a huge issue

foxhack

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 11:52:32 am »

I only speak of experience with the PS2 versions. I cannot say if the Wii versions have issues, but it's likely they don't, because Terminal Reality most likely fixed all the bugs they left in the PS2 versions by then. :p

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 11:57:45 am »

Hmm....I think I'm going to getting them all on Wii instead of PS2 because thats a huge issue

Again, it seems to play fine to me. But again, I don't have an AES or MVS to compare it to. But I do have Metal Slug 3 on Xbox Live Arcade, and it seems no different than that version. My buddy also has Metal Slug 4 & 5 on original Xbox, and I didn't notice a big difference between those, either.

I'm sure he's right and there is some slight lag, since I don't know any better compared to the real version. But it really isn't anything that breaks the game. Me and friends have blasted through a few play-throughs on that collection and had a ton of fun.