Author Topic: Games that are too expensive  (Read 7638 times)

blipcs76

Re: Games that are too expensive
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 10:43:39 am »
Pretty much anything over $100 is out of the question for me, which puts a good chunk of the rare NES titles out of my grasp.  I'll only own a Little Samson, Bubble Bobble 2, Bonk's Adventure or Panic Restaurant if I luck across one at a thrift store or garage sale.  To put it into perspective, the going rate for Flintstones, Little Samson and the 3 Panesian games is $3,600 for those five games alone.

One of my best finds of the last few years was a Mega Man 7, which I snagged for just $5.  I flipped it a few months later for about $60, but in the last two years it's skyrocketed to near $150 -- that's near Earthbound prices.  Wish I'd kept that one now...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 10:49:03 am by blipcs76 »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 10:57:35 am »
They're all too expensive.  How many $5 Mario/Duck Hunts have you seen?  Way more than should be out there.

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 11:45:39 am »
They're all too expensive.  How many $5 Mario/Duck Hunts have you seen?  Way more than should be out there.

That's what it has come to in the last 6 years. Games that were $2, are now $5, if they were $5 then now they are $12, if they were $10 now they are $20. If it's a sequel, resellers take the cost of the original and multiply it by the number in the title.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 12:03:40 pm »

Even as common as it is, I think $5 is reasonable for that game. Hell, any video game (unless we're talking like the cheap, generic cell phone games) is worth $5, IMO. That's how much lunch costs.

abe

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2014, 12:19:02 pm »
Shantae is pretty expensive now as well. I think it might even be more expensive than Earthbound now. :(
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

argyle

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 12:44:26 pm »
I'm glad I was able to dive in into the water and catch up to the Rule of Rose boat before it sailed.  Just last year, I paid only $75 for it. There's another hidden PS2 gem that's gonna do the same thing I would almost bet, it's just waiting for people to find out about it. I'll give a hint, it's also published by Atlus.

Hrm...Steambot Chronicles?  Or perhaps Sky Gunner, that's one I need to pickup soon-ish. 

With my recent Wii collecting I've found a few of those that are going for too much - One Piece & Fire Emblem off the top of my head, but there are more.  Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 for the PS3 is getting kinda crazy.  Pokemon games - the main handheld ones - go for ridiculous prices as well given how many of the things there are in circulation. 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

Warmsignal

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 03:07:18 pm »
Pretty much anything over $100 is out of the question for me, which puts a good chunk of the rare NES titles out of my grasp.  I'll only own a Little Samson, Bubble Bobble 2, Bonk's Adventure or Panic Restaurant if I luck across one at a thrift store or garage sale.  To put it into perspective, the going rate for Flintstones, Little Samson and the 3 Panesian games is $3,600 for those five games alone.

One of my best finds of the last few years was a Mega Man 7, which I snagged for just $5.  I flipped it a few months later for about $60, but in the last two years it's skyrocketed to near $150 -- that's near Earthbound prices.  Wish I'd kept that one now...

There really aren't that many legit NES over $100. I don't count prototypes, competitions, unlicensed, PAL, or repro. You have -

- Stadium Events $5600 (awesome game, huh?)
- Flintstones Surprise At Dino Peak $550
- Little Sampson $550
- Bonk's Adventure $280
- Panic Restaurant $250
- Bubble Bobble 2 $230
- Power Blade 2 $200
- Snow Brothers $150
- Zombie Nation $130
- Chip and Dale 2 $130
- Duck Tales 2 $120
- Turtles Tournament Fighter $100
- Cow Boy Kid $100
- Mighty Final Fight $100

There are a few more that sellers like to ask over $100 for, but rarely get it. That's not very many games. I guess if you are a completionist it sucks, but most NES games are still reasonable.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 03:50:44 pm »

There really aren't that many legit NES over $100. I don't count prototypes, competitions, unlicensed, PAL, or repro. You have -

- Stadium Events $5600 (awesome game, huh?)
- Flintstones Surprise At Dino Peak $550
- Little Sampson $550
- Bonk's Adventure $280
- Panic Restaurant $250
- Bubble Bobble 2 $230
- Power Blade 2 $200
- Snow Brothers $150
- Zombie Nation $130
- Chip and Dale 2 $130
- Duck Tales 2 $120
- Turtles Tournament Fighter $100
- Cow Boy Kid $100

There are a few more that sellers like to ask over $100 for, but rarely get it. That's not very many games. I guess if you are a completionist it sucks, but most NES games are still reasonable.

This is true. But the frustrating part is that the very common games that used to be $5 a pop, are now like $20 a pop (and I'm talking cartridge only).

Warmsignal

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 04:24:00 pm »
I don't think NES is suffering that quite as bad as SNES (Super Metroid anyone?) and soon N64 (why is Mario Party so collectable?), well, aside from the quite common Mega Man games and their nutty prices. But I think that has to do with the fact that Mega Man is no more, fans have no more to look forward to, so they now covet the classics.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:25:34 pm by Warmsignal »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 04:37:02 pm »
I don't think NES is suffering that quite as bad as SNES (Super Metroid anyone?) and soon N64 (why is Mario Party so collectable?), well, aside from the quite common Mega Man games and their nutty prices. But I think that has to do with the fact that Mega Man is no more, fans have no more to look forward to, so they now covet the classics.

Yeah, SNES is becoming like the new Saturn when it comes to outrageous prices on games.

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2014, 08:32:13 pm »
It's the reason my Turbo Grafx collection isn't complete. Not sure I want to pay over a thousand dollars for Dynastic Hero or Magical Chase. I'm also missing the majority of the SCD games that came out toward the end, which sell for hundreds.

jobocan

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 08:05:43 am »

I have no idea how this happened, it blows my mind. Just a few years ago I bought this for 15$. The rest of your list is really bad too, but that's the only one there I actually own...

I blame the game chasers, going around spouting BS like "400$ for Little Samson is a good deal!"... though I guess the right answer is that ebayers are arbitrarily pumping up the prices and people are still dumb enough to pay them because they want to sound cool by saying "look I own Surprise at Dinosaur Peak" despite not giving a crap about the game themselves.

There's a good reason I stopped buy games for my collection and trying to sell some of the games I don't play... at which point people can't seem to want to buy them at anywhere near what I'm asking, despite going much lower than the games are going for anywhere else (I've had multiple people offer me 5$ for a complete Magnavox Odyssey... are people insane?).

argyle

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2014, 08:55:13 am »
Blame the people paying those crazy prices, but I don't get blaming the ones charging them.  I'll be 100% honest, if I come across an old NES game at a yard sale that I find out people will pay several hundred dollars for, them I'm going to sell it for that.  I'm guessing the majority of people here would do the same.  ;) 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2014, 09:43:52 am »
There's a good reason I stopped buy games for my collection and trying to sell some of the games I don't play... at which point people can't seem to want to buy them at anywhere near what I'm asking, despite going much lower than the games are going for anywhere else (I've had multiple people offer me 5$ for a complete Magnavox Odyssey... are people insane?).

That's because you're selling stuff in a hobby where people are notoriously cheap. A lot of us feel almost ashamed if we pay market value for something.

The only way to get the full eBay price is to list it on eBay.

jobocan

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2014, 10:21:55 am »

That's because you're selling stuff in a hobby where people are notoriously cheap. A lot of us feel almost ashamed if we pay market value for something.

The only way to get the full eBay price is to list it on eBay.

I don't even want full Ebay price. I sold something like 400$  or more worth of NES and SNES games (going by ebay prices) for 160$ and even that was a tough sale.

I'm not expecting to get the usual 500$+ people ask for on Ebay for my Odyssey, I just wanna give a collector a good deal while making a little bit of money myself.