Author Topic: Style Guide for European / Multiple Language / Country games [WIP]  (Read 2607 times)

Re: Style Guide for European / Multiple Language / Country games [WIP]
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 09:43:28 pm »
Haha I found something on the disc from what I called before an oh-so-only-PEGI/USK Version - this is stupid :o ;D

Wait so that has PEGI, USK, that Australian rating system and... what's the other one?

I have absolutely no idea, never seen that before ;D

My European copy of Risen (PC) has PEGI rating and warnings in the case artwork, and a USK rating on the disc (no PEGI). So judging from that and the disc scan, we can't always choose a region based on the game ratings alone because manufacturers will use the same disc among various regions, and only change the packaging and manuals (if any, remember that many PC games have multiple language versions of the manuals on the disc.)

Like fazerco rightly said, the rating isn't the way to go. And you're right fox, I took a quick look at my 360 games, most of them have german or english covers, but the discs are the same as everywhere else in europe (and australia). Therefore using language codes according to the game language does not make sense either... a ton of different covers, but the same game inside (at least in case of the more "current" stuff ps3/4, xbox, but also ps2).

So, we also need to differentiate between cover and disc *facepalm*

That Game;Box[DE][FR];Disc[EN][DE][FR][SPA][AU];Sold in[FIN][NL];[UNCUT][12][+16][M] ;) this is dumb

Maybe we have to go with the language codes, but with focus on the cover, what's on the disc is something for the description-field(???)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:50:09 pm by pordox »

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2014, 12:43:05 pm »
I am currently trying to add my collection and I have to say it's quite a pain in the ass to sort out the different versions. Mostly, the games seems to be multilingual, but sometimes there are specific language versions. Those usually have a different code, so at least with PlayStation and Nintendo games, that's easy to determine. The covers and manuals however, are a total mess. Sometimes English only, sometimes country specific, sometimes multilingual (EN/FR/DE/ES/IT seems to be some kind of standard), sometimes a weird combination like FR/NL...

Maybe we could have one database entry per game and add other languages as alternate cover art, like on The Cover Project, e.g. http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?game_id=1570

At least when the game is identical for all countries, this would make managing the database a little easier.

foxhack

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2014, 02:25:10 pm »
I am currently trying to add my collection and I have to say it's quite a pain in the ass to sort out the different versions. Mostly, the games seems to be multilingual, but sometimes there are specific language versions. Those usually have a different code, so at least with PlayStation and Nintendo games, that's easy to determine. The covers and manuals however, are a total mess. Sometimes English only, sometimes country specific, sometimes multilingual (EN/FR/DE/ES/IT seems to be some kind of standard), sometimes a weird combination like FR/NL...

Maybe we could have one database entry per game and add other languages as alternate cover art, like on The Cover Project, e.g. http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?game_id=1570

At least when the game is identical for all countries, this would make managing the database a little easier.

I wish we could do that, but the site is currently on a feature-freeze due to matt being busy with real life work things. There are actually tons of things I wish I could do to the database directly but not being a programmer gets in the way of that. :(

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2014, 06:38:30 am »
Well, I've submitted some new games from my EU 360 collection and tried to change the title according to the region the game was sold/the language on the box. I thought that's probably the way to go since going for the language of the game doesn't do the trick. But it seems not the right way to handle this. So, waiting for the styleguide update.

Earth Defense Force 2025 [DE][CH] rejected > [DE][AT][CH]
Front Mission Evolved rejected > [DE][AT][CH]
WarTech: Senko no Ronde rejected > [DE]
Gears of War: Judgment rejected > [CH][AT]
Gears of War 2 rejected > [CH][AT]
Gears of War rejected > [CH][AT]
Street Fighter IV rejected > [UK]
TimeShift rejected > [UK]

foxhack

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 02:46:45 pm »
I didn't see those edits, so sorry.

Though to be honest it might be better to just add new entries rather than edit existing ones. We have lots of European folks and they wouldn't like having their game be changed to something from another region.

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 05:47:09 am »
We have lots of European folks and they wouldn't like having their game be changed to something from another region.

I know. Thats why all of them are new entries, submitted by myself.