Author Topic: Famicom Games That Were Better Than Their US NES Counterparts  (Read 4918 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Famicom Games That Were Better Than Their US NES Counterparts
« on: August 05, 2014, 11:47:29 pm »
Folks,

I only collect what I intend to play and since I've discovered the wonderful world of importing I've learned of at least a couple of cases where the famicom version of an NES game I wanted was better than the US version.

So far I've discovered the following games appear to be better for the Famicom than for the US NES:

The Adventures of Bayou Billy (Mad World in Japan)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (Jekyll-Hakase no Houma ga Toki in japan)
Super Mario Bros 2 (it's a completely different game in japan)

Since I've seen a lot of folks talking and trading famicom here on the forums lately I'm curious about what other games folks might know about that had both Famicom and NES releases where the Famicom release was better?

90snostalga

Re: Famicom Games That Were Better Than Their US NES Counterparts
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:07:06 am »
Great topic. I would say Dragonball Shenron no Nazo. It was released in America as Dragon Power and I think it's horrible compared to the Famicom original

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 03:54:20 pm »
The famicom version of Contra has an extra chip in it that adds some more sound and animation, it's pretty neat but it's not all that different

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 04:07:58 pm »
I don't think Bayou Billy is better on Famicom. It's easier, and some stages look slightly different, but that's about it. If you can beat the US version, you'll feel like a champ! Famicom version also lacks the insulting "HA HA HA HA" voice sample!

Castlevania 3 / Akumajou Densetsu is the biggest and most famous example. Famicom version has more advanced music, but enemies do less damage. Also the US version contains minor censoring. Both are great though.

maximo310

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:55:53 pm »
Contra- More content than US Version
Ninja Gaiden III- Easier game with password saves.
Salmander
Mad City
Bionic Commando
Karnov
Rolling Thunder

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 07:49:40 pm »
Generaly cheaper too. Even after shipping. I won't go into since I've stated examples before.

Metroid - Since it was on the FDS it could actually save. No passwords!
Kid Icarus - ditto
Legend of Zelda - Exploited the extra sound channel so the music and sound effects are different in some spots.
Gun Nac - Some different enemies. I think some of the levels are different too. The game is also affordable lol.
Bubble Bobble - I'm not sure but I think it saves your high(est) score.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 07:52:55 pm by badATchaos »

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 09:38:17 pm »
I cant import. Call me stubborn, but I'd put up with a botched, or even butchered port rather than deal with text and menu screens that I'm merely guessing at. It's important to me that a game feels intended for me to understand, otherwise the fun gets sucked right out.

It's like listening to j-pop. I don't get it. If you like pop, might as well listen to pop you don't have translate.

abe

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 11:19:16 pm »
I cant import. Call me stubborn, but I'd put up with a botched, or even butchered port rather than deal with text and menu screens that I'm merely guessing at. It's important to me that a game feels intended for me to understand, otherwise the fun gets sucked right out.

It's like listening to j-pop. I don't get it. If you like pop, might as well listen to pop you don't have translate.

Aside from RPGs, your Japanese language skills don't need to be very good just to play Famicom games.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 12:15:27 am »
I don't think Bayou Billy is better on Famicom. It's easier, and some stages look slightly different, but that's about it. If you can beat the US version, you'll feel like a champ! Famicom version also lacks the insulting "HA HA HA HA" voice sample!

Castlevania 3 / Akumajou Densetsu is the biggest and most famous example. Famicom version has more advanced music, but enemies do less damage. Also the US version contains minor censoring. Both are great though.

The famicom version of Bayou Billy also had multiple endings. :)

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 02:15:18 am »

I wouldn't know, I've never actually beaten the NES version.  ;D

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 02:19:51 am »

I wouldn't know, I've never actually beaten the NES version.  ;D

The best is they have an ending for if you beat the end boss then walk away without your girl! :)

scott

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 08:38:30 am »

I've really been debating on finding a Famicom just for this reason.
Now Playing: Persona 5 Scramble, Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Mario Kart 8

Brush Wizard - Mini Painting Blog | The SHMUP: BYOAC Build | Art Thread

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 01:18:07 am »

I've really been debating on finding a Famicom just for this reason.

Scott, just pick up a Retron 5. It plays Famicom and a ton of other things.