Author Topic: NES Hidden Gems  (Read 9776 times)

spac316

Re: NES Hidden Gems
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 02:35:27 am »
Best of luck to you. The market nowadays is a expensive one.
I think everyone so far has given a lot of good recommendations but I'll let you know if I can think of any.

dreama1

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 10:41:40 am »
Clash at Demonhead
Bizarre action platformer with multiple paths through the game and lots of goodies you can buy for your character.

Battle of Olympus
Better than Zelda II. Probably one of the top 5 best games on the system.

Willow
Surprisingly good movie game.  This one is a Zelda 1 clone, but has enough of its own merit to be unique.

and while its not really a hidden gem, I'll mention River City Ransom.  Its one of the best co-op games on the NES, if not one of the flat out best games on the console.

Fantastic choices right here. Most people know I find that 95% of the NES library to be garbage but there are a few really decent games on there and these are a couple of them. RPG wise Id recommend Destiny of an Emperor. Other than DW IV, this is the best RPG on the system. One game I really wished that the sequel was translated during the life of the system (I know there is one available to buy as a repro but its just not the same).
I love that game but god the combat is atrocious.

doafan

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 11:28:48 am »
I really don't understand why people use this term to refer to some games, there are at my opinion rare, hidden or obscure titles but not gems, at least my gems are those games that my mom purchased when I was younger, at that age my dad wasn't with us so my mom had to work and with a lot of effort she was able to purchase the Mega Man 5 for the NES and the Game Boy even at the release date but that's beside the point, anyway I will recommend you the following titles:

Obscure titles:
* Sword Master
* Isolated Warrior
* Kick Master
* Monster Party
* Vice: Project Doom

Hidden titles:
* Bucky O' Hare
* Whomp 'Em
* The Guardian Legend
* Kabuki Quantum Fighter
* Metal Storm

Rare titles:
* Little Samson
* Power Blade 2
* Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team
* Mighty Final Fight
* Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 11:43:26 am »
I really don't understand why people use this term to refer to some games, there are at my opinion rare, hidden or obscure titles but not gems, at least my gems are those games that my mom purchased when I was younger, at that age my dad wasn't with us so my mom had to work and with a lot of effort she was able to purchase the Mega Man 5 for the NES and the Game Boy even at the release date but that's beside the point, anyway I will recommend you the following titles:

I think they mean gems as "diamonds in the rough".  These are games that might not be great at first glance; but when you wipe the dust off, you find something special. 

soera

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 01:22:50 pm »
To me, I would consider a hidden gem a game that isnt talked about as much as the recent Mario release or CoD release but is just as good or better.

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 05:36:10 pm »
-Monster In My Pocket - Nothing here that is innovative, it's your average action-platformer. What sets it apart, is the amount of shine Konami gives it. Fantastic looking graphics for NES, great music, and spot-on controls make this a joy to play, especially if you have a buddy and play co-op two-player.

I gotta point out, I was nuts about those Monster in my Pocket figures when I was a kid. They came in mystery boxes so you never quite knew which ones you were gonna get. I'd open one and scream "Whoa! A RED kraken!!" It was like Pokemon, before Pokemon. They're so locked into the era of the early '90s, just looking at them warps me back in time to the days of summer sleepovers, Nerf wars, Super Soaker battles, and all-night NES.

Anyway...

Arkista's Ring is a fun NES game that no one talks about. It's an Zelda-like combat game where you try to find the key to the exit of each stage.

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 11:51:06 pm »
Not sure how hidden it is but how about Solstice. Even if you don't like the game the music is crazy.

dreama1

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 02:10:35 pm »
-Monster In My Pocket - Nothing here that is innovative, it's your average action-platformer. What sets it apart, is the amount of shine Konami gives it. Fantastic looking graphics for NES, great music, and spot-on controls make this a joy to play, especially if you have a buddy and play co-op two-player.

I gotta point out, I was nuts about those Monster in my Pocket figures when I was a kid. They came in mystery boxes so you never quite knew which ones you were gonna get. I'd open one and scream "Whoa! A RED kraken!!" It was like Pokemon, before Pokemon. They're so locked into the era of the early '90s, just looking at them warps me back in time to the days of summer sleepovers, Nerf wars, Super Soaker battles, and all-night NES.

Anyway...

Arkista's Ring is a fun NES game that no one talks about. It's an Zelda-like combat game where you try to find the key to the exit of each stage.
Good pick I love that game. I thought for sure it was an anime style game but it wasn't even released on Famicom wtf?
That 2nd last level is a fricken joke tho how much does the difficulty spike? I lost 50 damn lives on that single level.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 02:12:28 pm by dreama1 »

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 08:47:51 pm »
Good pick I love that game. I thought for sure it was an anime style game but it wasn't even released on Famicom wtf?
That 2nd last level is a fricken joke tho how much does the difficulty spike? I lost 50 damn lives on that single level.
It's a deceptive game isn't it? For awhile it lulls you into thinking it'll be easy, then suddenly sucker punches you once you're asleep at the wheel. I didn't know it was a US exclusive. How interesting!

Toobin' is another semi-obscure game I really like. The NES version has great music, nice graphics, and is fun and challenging. Who doesn't want to ride an innertube through the Okefenokee Swamp and hurl soda cans at the monsters and fishermen? It's got a great variety of stages, and it's one of the few Tengen black carts that didn't get "promoted" to a legit licensed release.

blipcs76

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2014, 09:39:49 am »
When villains trouble you, call DW.

Great, now that song's stuck in my head :)  "Let's get dangerous!"

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2014, 01:43:44 am »
When villains trouble you, call DW.

Great, now that song's stuck in my head :)  "Let's get dangerous!"

You're welcome