Author Topic: My 60gb PS3 Fat Preservation Project.  (Read 47596 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: My 60gb PS3 Fat Preservation Project.
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2015, 03:13:19 am »

Glad to hear it!

How did you get the heatsink off the cpu?

Just so folks know mine is still running strong! :)

I had read online that the heatsink should just pop off easily if the Thermal Compound (from the Sony factory) had dried out, but that was not the case for me. It took me really prying on the heatsink/fan assembly to get it off the processors. There was quite a sticky vacuum that had built up. Even though the compound was "wet" enough to still be tacky it obviously wasn't doing its job.

I was really scared at first that I had missed a screw or was going to break it somehow, but it did eventually pop off. I didn't ever get really rough with it, but just kept forcefully tugging on it a little at a time until it finally popped.

I think the hardest part of the process for me was putting the inner top cover back on. I had a hard time lining the tabs back up and getting them to click together.

Ahhh I see. You mean you removed the heatsink/fan assembly then applied new thermal paste to the heat spreaders on the gpu and CPU.

I meant the chips themselves. I actually pried the small heat spreader off the gpu removed the thermal adhesive and replaced it with thermal paste.

Couldn't do the same for the cpu because I didn't have the right tools at the time to cut the spreader away from the chip.

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2015, 03:59:27 pm »
:EDIT:

Post removed as i posted a very long and explanatory explanation of the issue of my PS3 60GB but the last half disappeared when i posted it unfortunately and it doesn't make sense now.

Hopefully i will have the time again tomorrow as it's basically regarding some advice i need.

Cheers

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 04:13:30 pm by stucarblne03 »

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2015, 06:21:17 pm »

Ahhh I see. You mean you removed the heatsink/fan assembly then applied new thermal paste to the heat spreaders on the gpu and CPU.

I meant the chips themselves. I actually pried the small heat spreader off the gpu removed the thermal adhesive and replaced it with thermal paste.

Couldn't do the same for the cpu because I didn't have the right tools at the time to cut the spreader away from the chip.

I did not put thermal paste on the chips themselves. I thought I was going to destroy the motherboard if I tried to pull the tops off. I saw a technique that used a credit card and some other tools, but I was too scared.

I have noticed that all my games run and play fine now (it ended up not being able to play any games before the fix). I did notice that when I try to play Netflix it overheats though. I guess if I want it to be fully operational then I will have to do try getting the heat spreaders off.

stucarblne03 - any update since your last post?
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2015, 12:30:08 am »

I did not put thermal paste on the chips themselves. I thought I was going to destroy the motherboard if I tried to pull the tops off. I saw a technique that used a credit card and some other tools, but I was too scared.

I have noticed that all my games run and play fine now (it ended up not being able to play any games before the fix). I did notice that when I try to play Netflix it overheats though. I guess if I want it to be fully operational then I will have to do try getting the heat spreaders off.

stucarblne03 - any update since your last post?

I only ever got the cover off my gpu. That ones scary because the thermal paste is applied directly to the the memory chips.

That said the credit card/butter knife method works pretty well.

For the cpu I've seen folks cut through the adhesive with a razor blade but that's effing insane. Chances of a nervous noob like me cutting themselves or cutting the cpu is very high.

I finally managed to find the proper tooling to cut through the adhesive on the CPU without damaging myself or the chip.

No idea what they are called but I'll take a picture of them later and post it here.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2015, 03:53:51 pm »
Yeah - that would be great if you posted a pic. It looks like I will need to get at least the GPU open. I had my first game overheat last night. Was playing Final Fantasy XIV when the game started flickering and slowing up. Then the PS3 shutdown.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2015, 08:58:07 pm »
Yeah - that would be great if you posted a pic. It looks like I will need to get at least the GPU open. I had my first game overheat last night. Was playing Final Fantasy XIV when the game started flickering and slowing up. Then the PS3 shutdown.

These are the tools.

The top tool in both photos is what I would suggest using to cut through the thermal paste between the CPU and heat spreader.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 01:16:39 pm »
Dashv - thanks for posting those pics.

For now I upgraded my hard drive in my 12gb slim so I could keep playing. I'll have to find some time to attempt this next step.

maximo310

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2015, 01:08:33 pm »
I have a question about this, since my bro and I repaired a YLOD fat PS3. We've already replaced the regular thermal paste with Arctic Silver  MX-4, but I'm wondering if its worth it to invest in upgrading the power supply and fan. The console has already YLOD'd once, and that was fixed with a partial reflow from a heat gun, but I have no idea how long the console will last with that.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 03:03:41 am »
I have a question about this, since my bro and I repaired a YLOD fat PS3. We've already replaced the regular thermal paste with Arctic Silver  MX-4, but I'm wondering if its worth it to invest in upgrading the power supply and fan. The console has already YLOD'd once, and that was fixed with a partial reflow from a heat gun, but I have no idea how long the console will last with that.

My experience was the "upgraded" fan and power supply provides little to no benefit.

In fact the cooler power supply will burn out quickly if you use all the capabilities of your PS3 (charge from all USB ports while playing a blue ray.)

The reason it runs (slightly) cooler is because it's not meant to provide as much power for the simpler PS3 designs.

maximo310

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 12:57:37 pm »

My experience was the "upgraded" fan and power supply provides little to no benefit.

In fact the cooler power supply will burn out quickly if you use all the capabilities of your PS3 (charge from all USB ports while playing a blue ray.)

The reason it runs (slightly) cooler is because it's not meant to provide as much power for the simpler PS3 designs.
Ok, sounds like the upgraded parts aren't necessary then. The fat PS3 I have is the non-bc 40GB which still runs pretty hot, even without the additional parts in the model. I'm considering replacing it with a Slim/Super Slim ( or a BC 60GB PS3 if I can find one for cheap), since my fat model is now having trouble with the video display after working properly for the last few days. I'm not sure why its happening either.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2015, 01:57:25 am »

Ok, sounds like the upgraded parts aren't necessary then. The fat PS3 I have is the non-bc 40GB which still runs pretty hot, even without the additional parts in the model. I'm considering replacing it with a Slim/Super Slim ( or a BC 60GB PS3 if I can find one for cheap), since my fat model is now having trouble with the video display after working properly for the last few days. I'm not sure why its happening either.

The 60GB model will run louder and hotter than your 40gb non bc.

Honestly part of me wishes I hadn't bothered. It's nice to have the PS2 BC but I live in perpetual fear of it overheating and dying. I never even bothered to put all the screws back in just so it's easy to dust it out regularly.

Get yourself a new super slim and call it a day. :)

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2016, 06:06:38 am »
I have a FAT 60gb PS3 and I tried to restore mine a while back, doing a couple different things than those described here. I never replaced the stock power supply, and never removed the CPU or GPU covers, but now after reading I am going to try since I now have to replace the wifi chip and laser deck anyways. Mine came with the 19 blade fan stock, and I did replace the Hard Drive with a 120gb SSD which may be slightly cooler, but I don't think it makes that big of a difference temp wise (except my install times are 2/3 faster!).. What I really did differently was use Noctua NT-H1 compound (my favorite and least finicky when it comes to application style), I also used the pea method which seemed to work well. I replaced all the thermal pads with better blue pads that were said to transfer heat better and last longer than the stock pads which were all dried and crumbling. I also modded the case by drilling holes in the bottom where the fan is. I first marked the center of the fan by putting a little thermal paste there and sat the already re-assembled board in the bottom case so I knew where the center was. I used a protractor to draw a perfect circle the size of the fan, then marked where I would drill 1/8" holes in a circular design so that it would still look nice and artistic. I heard that messing with the air flow could overheat the PS3, so I didn't want to over do it by simply cutting a huge hole in the bottom, but still probably drilled about 30 small holes. I never had the YLOD but did notice that when I first bought it refurbished a few years back, it was not moving as much hot air as I wanted it to. Now it blasts out hot air and noticeably runs cooler! I have no fear of it overheating anymore. The only time it seems to kick into stage 3 is when I am playing PS2 games for hours. Surprisingly, the fan usually stays in stage 2 when playing PS3 games for long periods, depending on the temperature in the room. Sometimes it kicks into stage 3 when streaming movies, but I live in Florida and we keep the house at about 80 degrees most of the time. Oh, and I always have my system standing up vertically, which I heard makes it run slightly hotter as well. When I have the air conditioning turned down to the mid 70s, the fan rarely kicks into stage 3. I do think the right thermal compound makes a big difference, as well as the better thermal pads, but the biggest thing may have been the case mod. Something to think about. ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 06:18:28 am by metalmoore04 »

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2016, 11:33:09 pm »
I know, it's an old thread but I've registered my self here just to thanks @dashv !

Got an close to 10 years old 60GB fat PS3 and guess what, it does have cooling issue.

Mine is quite problematic, since it does the "Red light flash". While playing, it turn off by itself with the red light flashing.

I did at first, clean out the dust and changed the thermal paste on the IHS, did nothing. I've found by luck this thread and I've replace the thermal paste one the GPU and the IHS. The IHS was glued there, It was so hard to remove it !

It may seem to be a little bit "hardcore" but a I've remove the old thermal paste with a razor blade. With care and time, I did not damage anything. To remove all the last bit of paste, I've sand the 4 black part of the GPU with 1000 grit sandpaper.

The PS3 still show some problem, however it run really cooler now ! Fan speed on main menu is really slow, can't hear it.

Kind of weird, If I play Gran Turismo 6 and I race in the X1 special event championship, after 1 hour the PS3 turn off by itself, red light flash even after the repair.

But tonight, I've made random races, tuned cars for about 1 hour. After I've played Metal Gear Solid 4 for 3 hours, beat one boss and everything worked smoothly all the evening. Magic ! Let's hope that It will last me a cupule more years...

Just to warn you guys, don't neglect your old PS3 and clean the dust + change the thermal past on the GPU + IHS.

This is what my PS3 look like now since I did not make those correction when the first symptom appeared last year. You can see all the little burns on my motherboard in this Google Image Album.

https://goo.gl/photos/6dVBic8iJE4d6bjv6

EDIT: Well, it just YLOD.  :'( :'(
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:00:13 pm by trueno86power »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2016, 08:49:56 pm »
I have a FAT 60gb PS3 and I tried to restore mine a while back, doing a couple different things than those described here. I never replaced the stock power supply, and never removed the CPU or GPU covers, but now after reading I am going to try since I now have to replace the wifi chip and laser deck anyways. Mine came with the 19 blade fan stock, and I did replace the Hard Drive with a 120gb SSD which may be slightly cooler, but I don't think it makes that big of a difference temp wise (except my install times are 2/3 faster!).. What I really did differently was use Noctua NT-H1 compound (my favorite and least finicky when it comes to application style), I also used the pea method which seemed to work well. I replaced all the thermal pads with better blue pads that were said to transfer heat better and last longer than the stock pads which were all dried and crumbling. I also modded the case by drilling holes in the bottom where the fan is. I first marked the center of the fan by putting a little thermal paste there and sat the already re-assembled board in the bottom case so I knew where the center was. I used a protractor to draw a perfect circle the size of the fan, then marked where I would drill 1/8" holes in a circular design so that it would still look nice and artistic. I heard that messing with the air flow could overheat the PS3, so I didn't want to over do it by simply cutting a huge hole in the bottom, but still probably drilled about 30 small holes. I never had the YLOD but did notice that when I first bought it refurbished a few years back, it was not moving as much hot air as I wanted it to. Now it blasts out hot air and noticeably runs cooler! I have no fear of it overheating anymore. The only time it seems to kick into stage 3 is when I am playing PS2 games for hours. Surprisingly, the fan usually stays in stage 2 when playing PS3 games for long periods, depending on the temperature in the room. Sometimes it kicks into stage 3 when streaming movies, but I live in Florida and we keep the house at about 80 degrees most of the time. Oh, and I always have my system standing up vertically, which I heard makes it run slightly hotter as well. When I have the air conditioning turned down to the mid 70s, the fan rarely kicks into stage 3. I do think the right thermal compound makes a big difference, as well as the better thermal pads, but the biggest thing may have been the case mod. Something to think about. ;)

If you're still hanging around the forums care to post a picture of the hole pattern you drilled? I'd be willing to give it a try. I have a bricked PS3 that I might try resurrecting just for giggles.

Also where did you get the blue pads?

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2017, 10:50:07 am »
Hey dashv!

I was happy to find your post since I'm fighting exactly the same issue with american PS3 Phat CECHA-01 which I purchased off ebay for the same purpose as you. It also never YLOD'ed before and surprisingly came with 1.50 official firmware. Before updating it to the latest available firmware from Sony I played a few PS3 games that were included in the lot. Right away I noticed that it sounded like a jet.

I started reading here and there and also found this method of removing IHS, etc. So I decided to do it. I purchased few painting knives (everyone says they're the best for the task and I concur after the successful job) and Arctic Silver MX4 compound. I also bought a couple of thermal pads from some Phobya brand (Thermal pad Ultra 5W/Mk). Unfortunately there were no 2mm neither 1,5 mm pads available at the store so I've settled with 1mm.

Firstly I've installed a CFW to look into the temperature readings. Here and further temps are in Celsius. I've noticed that CPU is much hotter than GPU (70-71 on idle vs 58 respectively). I also carried out few observations.

Some homebrew apps have means to control the system fan but I'm talking about the official system settings (a so-called syscon):

PS3 starts at what I believe is level 1. Just as CPU hits 66, I hear probably level 2. It still kinda comfortable. Then it goes to level 3 when CPU is around 71. GPU sits around 57-60 all the time. When I put some load on to it with PS3 game (e.g. Heavy Rain), CPU hits 74-75 and stays there. That's when the cooler goes to level 4. GPU is surprisingly still around 60 no matter the action on the screen.

So now is the process:
I disassembled the system completely and started working on removing the IHS. The process itself IMO just looks insanely hard. When you start working it's all really simple. I cut the silicone carefully and slowly with the painting knife (tbh, it was less scary than opening up the GPU).
GPU was also rather easy, albeit a bit scary: a bit of heat from wife's hair dryer and the cover came out with a help of butter knife. No extreme pressure or anything. I also used a piece of carton.

So now is the thermal compound. The whole my life I used the spreading method on all my PCs. It always worked perfectly and I even did some comparison tests. To me the spreading was always the winner.

But working on PS3 I've read a ton of material about how's the peasize drop method is better for PS3. So I did that both under and above the IHS. I've also replaced the stock thermal pads with mine (keeping the original for the time being). So the original are definitely thicker. I'd say they're 2mm or so (you can't find that info on the internetz btw, only some discussions about 5mm (!) thickness? lol). Anyways, those 1mm kind of look ok to me. After reassembly of heatsink they sit tight. Heatsink also leaves those markings that, I believe, signify the proper pressure applied. BUT! I'm not sure about that since I wasn't able to test it all out properly. And here's why:

After I've reassembled the system putting everything together, all the bits and screws, I've got the following result.

CPU is 69 and GPU is 65 on idle. As you can see, the GPU is almost 7 degrees hotter. The load is light (dynamic theme from Heavy Rain, few light render scenes). What's worse, the CPU starts to heat up more, reaching 73 - and that's on idle. Same with GPU. It never went over 60 before, but now it can reach 65 and go higher, I think.

I also can not put any proper load on it right now since I've probably messed up the assembly of the BD-Drive. No installed game can start, you just get a black screen. And the BD-Drive does not recognize the BD inside properly. I mean, it sees the disc inside and spins up, but does not tell the system it's loaded.

But what's interesting here is that the cooler won't go higher than level two. Even though the CPU is 73-74. It's also moving a lot more of hot air out of vents. So that's kind of... weird?? If I didn't have the CFW, I'd never noticed that something's wrong with the system (well, apart from BDDrive ofc :) )

So why I'm writing all that now and not after the subsequent reassembly?

Well, now I'm wondering about thermal compound application method. Could you please elaborate more on plastic wrap? I was going to use my method of an old credit card to spread it but maybe yours is better? And I'm also sure that I should've cleaned the GPU's memory chips better. There is some of the old adhesive thermal paste left there. Did you also use the credit card to scrape it off? Not only from the main core, right?

Oh, and I also found some fancy thing specifically for the PS3 (and Xbox360): Coollaboratory Liquid MetalPad for PS3 and Xbox360. I've already purchased it. If you google it, you'll see that this is a some sort of ready-to-melt liquid metal thermal pad (?!) designed specifically for those game systems. They even put up a guide telling how to disassembly the system and apply those pads. To my understanding, they're compatible only with Phat ps3. I wonder shall I try using them or is it just a waste of time? I never heard about this brand nor about liquid metal thermal pads. I also can't find any reviews of them. Only some retarded article in German which was probably paid for anyway.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 10:56:26 am by zoomer88 »