Author Topic: A Growing Trend???  (Read 4044 times)

Re: A Growing Trend???
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2014, 04:56:13 pm »
I have been saying for a couple of years now that the hobby is slowing down, this is just one more example of it happening.

I believe your right, people are not in to video game collecting as much or having it as a hobby... Or even playing.. Most play to beat the game and either trade it in or sell it to someone else .. A lot of the games today are very long and most people don't have the time to sit there and play it all the way through... I am the type of person that eventually will get to play all my games that I buy and I know I will enjoy it.. Not only that but my children and wife are getting a little more interested in it each day. So, if people are willing to sell there collections and I have the money I am more than willing to buy them.

GrooDWanderer

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2014, 08:19:38 pm »
My philosophy on collecting has changed and I no longer have a desire to own something that I won't play or use just to put it on a shelf.

That is what my philosophy has always been. I only buy games that I want to play. Just recently I have upped the amount that I buy and the amount of time I spend looking for them but I still only want to own games that I want to play instead of, let's say, owning every game that NIS has released.
As dangerous as a stampede of cattle...and almost as smart.

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2014, 11:47:41 pm »
My philosophy on collecting has changed and I no longer have a desire to own something that I won't play or use just to put it on a shelf.

That is what my philosophy has always been. I only buy games that I want to play. Just recently I have upped the amount that I buy and the amount of time I spend looking for them but I still only want to own games that I want to play instead of, let's say, owning every game that NIS has released.

I think I will get to that point eventually, but at the moment I kind of want to put together a complete NA release PS1 set. I am not sure that is entirely possible and may take a decade or two to pull off. As for the other consoles, mostly just own nostalgic games. My PS2 and PS3 collections are getting up there as well, but I can see myself eventually playing those games again.

bobster

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2014, 09:44:27 am »
Maybe that was a hobby for them...and decided it wasn't something they wanted to do anymore. So what better way to make some money with games that are just laying around waiting for us to buy... Or on the other hand in today's world jobs are hard to find and when money is tight something has got to go of some value.

I haven't really tried finding collectors in my area... Maybe it's time to ... Tired of talking to my wife about video games that I know she has no interest in... But, she still sits there with a smile and listens.  ;D

Great wife. :)

My wife and I went on a date a couple months ago. First night out without the kind in a long while and I rambled on at the Cheesecake Factory about Links Awakening for the game boy.

She just smiled and listened to it all.

A week later I found her playing it on the GBA. :)

She beat it last month and we shared our thoughts on it. :)
That's as good a game as any to get started loving games! I really need to get that game again. I love it so much!

I'm lucky enough that my girlfriend is just as interested in collecting as I am. It didn't start out quite that way, but now she contributes just as much as I do to the cause lol.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

blipcs76

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2014, 10:39:12 am »
I'm seeing the opposite, with the local collectors here starting to come out of the woodwork.  Facebook groups and craigslist are peppered with posts from people looking to buy old video games.  There's a network of collectors I've met who hit any garage sale that posts game stuff on CL before they open and snatch it all up (thus a big reason that I've found very little at garage sales this summer).

I rarely see any retro stuff for sale on CL or FB groups; that which is normally is set around eBay prices and firm.  And it's always desired commons like Mario Kart 64, Zelda OOT and Super Mario World.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 01:45:14 pm »
I'm seeing the opposite, with the local collectors here starting to come out of the woodwork.  Facebook groups and craigslist are peppered with posts from people looking to buy old video games.  There's a network of collectors I've met who hit any garage sale that posts game stuff on CL before they open and snatch it all up (thus a big reason that I've found very little at garage sales this summer).

I rarely see any retro stuff for sale on CL or FB groups; that which is normally is set around eBay prices and firm.  And it's always desired commons like Mario Kart 64, Zelda OOT and Super Mario World.

Same here. That and garage sales where they are asking ebay prices or higher firm claiming "these are vintage and in demand right now".

That's been my last 2 weeks of yards sales. :P

blipcs76

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 10:05:29 am »

Same here. That and garage sales where they are asking ebay prices or higher firm claiming "these are vintage and in demand right now".

That's been my last 2 weeks of yards sales. :P

More often than not, if someone posts something on CL and I hit the sale and ask about it, I usually get this one "Oh, we sold that first thing this morning."  Really takes the enthusiasm out of garage sale hunting.

And on those asking too much, if you want eBay prices, put your stuff on eBay.  People at your garage sales are looking for details; not paying retail.  My mom lives 2 hrs away and also hits garage sales.  Called me Saturday morning when she came across Nintendo stuff -- the guy wanted $50 each for his NES and SNES.  And a Wii with 3 junk games for $80.

I also come across this from time to time.  They list their games individually on a sheet of paper next to the eBay/Gamestop prices they looked up.  I can walk into Gamestop whenever I want and pay what you're asking for these.  Why would I ever pay retail price at your garage sale?

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 02:11:14 am »

Luckily there isn't anyone like that in my area, but I still feel like reseller enthusiasm is still high for retro games because there is still a lot of money to be made of some of the games out there. As for the collectors, the enthusiasm is definitely dying, and again, I'm not sure if it is just my inner circle and a select few local collectors or it is the beginning of something much bigger. I have heard of people doing what you describe, and it does decrease the desire to hit up sales.

Warmsignal

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 07:40:09 pm »
It's phase one of the passing fad that is game collecting. Those that came aboard several years ago, are starting to feel burnt out. People who started because it looked like something fresh and exciting to do back in 2007. The quickest to burn out are those who have lots of income to burn on it, and who acquire too much too fast. At first, it's just a few games, then it's "cutting out all the games I won't play anymore", then it's "getting rid of all but the favorites", and eventually they go too.

I know that in the six years that have passed, I've changed my own outlook on it several times over. I've given up several ambitions, and glad I did. It may be the hoarder in me, but if I grow tired of this all one day, I'm buying some tubs, filling them, and storing it all in the attic until I feel like pulling it back out again. Never selling. Not worth it, money comes and goes but this stuff is just a PITA to get (for most of us).

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2014, 01:53:19 am »
It's phase one of the passing fad that is game collecting. Those that came aboard several years ago, are starting to feel burnt out. People who started because it looked like something fresh and exciting to do back in 2007. The quickest to burn out are those who have lots of income to burn on it, and who acquire too much too fast. At first, it's just a few games, then it's "cutting out all the games I won't play anymore", then it's "getting rid of all but the favorites", and eventually they go too.

I know that in the six years that have passed, I've changed my own outlook on it several times over. I've given up several ambitions, and glad I did. It may be the hoarder in me, but if I grow tired of this all one day, I'm buying some tubs, filling them, and storing it all in the attic until I feel like pulling it back out again. Never selling. Not worth it, money comes and goes but this stuff is just a PITA to get (for most of us).

I agree with all of this 100%.

One of the most avid and dedicated collectors I've met is one of the people who has decided to sell off a huge portion of his collection after amassing probably 3000+ games in a little over a year. I think he burned out super fast because of the sheer volume of games he was picking up on a daily basis. Likewise, I few other speed/mega collectors I know are among the others that are starting to sell of chunks of their collections.

I will likely hold onto my collection for the exact same reason. The only part I might eventually sell are my carts, just because flash carts are a viable option to the real thing, and because if I'm ever going to see a significant return on my cart games, it would be wise to sell them soon or else I'll just be holding on to them for good. But yeah, would never let go of my CD-based games unless an emergency came up and there was no other choice for me.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2014, 09:58:11 am »
I've been hoping for "the bubble to pop" for a couple of years now.  My outlook on it's changed a little though.  I don't want it to pop just so prices will come back down to the 2005 or so prices.  I want it to pop so these jackholes hoarding games trying to make a profit will lose their asses.  I honestly hope there's some dick out there that buys up a bunch of Flintstones carts at $600 and then the price drops to $100. I can't wait to see the scramble to sell stuff off before prices reach the bottom. 
I want to see all these asshats at flea markets wanting $10 for every N64 game to hang onto that copy of NBA Jam '99 until the end of time. 

Another thing is if interest falls off, these damn fake carts will go away.  F those people, but that's another rant.

I have a few negative feelings this morning.  Sorry about that.

abe

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 10:20:02 am »
I've been hoping for "the bubble to pop" for a couple of years now.  My outlook on it's changed a little though.  I don't want it to pop just so prices will come back down to the 2005 or so prices.  I want it to pop so these jackholes hoarding games trying to make a profit will lose their asses.  I honestly hope there's some dick out there that buys up a bunch of Flintstones carts at $600 and then the price drops to $100. I can't wait to see the scramble to sell stuff off before prices reach the bottom. 
I want to see all these asshats at flea markets wanting $10 for every N64 game to hang onto that copy of NBA Jam '99 until the end of time. 

Another thing is if interest falls off, these damn fake carts will go away.  F those people, but that's another rant.

I have a few negative feelings this morning.  Sorry about that.

I personally can't stand the profiteers either. People who go around snatching up all the good deals so they can resell crap for Ebay prices or higher really piss me off. I have no problem with people buying stuff for trades, or getting good deals. What bothers me is when people who don't care about the hobby at all ruin it for other people by reselling just for profit.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)