Author Topic: Nintendo unveils "NEW" 3DS  (Read 4601 times)

Re: Nintendo unveils "NEW" 3DS
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 06:48:37 pm »
While most everything seems like a big improvement with this New 3DS, I think Nintendo could be making another mistake here by releasing games that can only be played with the the new version.

http://www.destructoid.com/what-do-you-think-of-the-new-3ds-getting-exclusive-games--280405.phtml

Sure, if you make something to utilize the new features and power, it can't be used on the old one, but isn't a hardware upgrade usually meant for a new handheld?  Calling something "New" worked with Mario Bros because no matter whether it's new or just regular, it's Mario and it won't confuse people.  But you call something "New 3DS" and people are just gonna think it's a new 3DS game and not a game for the New 3DS, so I don't know.  It feels like an issue like Nintendo had with the Wii U being such a fucking terrible name and that it makes people think it was just some add on for the Wii instead of a brand new system, but then again, the Wii was a terrible name to begin with lol

Make a new version of the handheld, that's fine, but they've essentially now created a wholly separate handheld, alongside the original 3DS, and it is gonna create confusion.  I don't get their mindset with this.  I'm pretty sure I don't see the "New 3DS" exclusives taking off to much and they just stop doing that and end making all the games be compatible with the original system.

Also brought up in the comments of that, just call it the Super 3DS lol

davifus

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 06:52:53 pm »
While most everything seems like a big improvement with this New 3DS, I think Nintendo could be making another mistake here by releasing games that can only be played with the the new version.

http://www.destructoid.com/what-do-you-think-of-the-new-3ds-getting-exclusive-games--280405.phtml

Sure, if you make something to utilize the new features and power, it can't be used on the old one, but isn't a hardware upgrade usually meant for a new handheld?  Calling something "New" worked with Mario Bros because no matter whether it's new or just regular, it's Mario and it won't confuse people.  But you call something "New 3DS" and people are just gonna think it's a new 3DS game and not a game for the New 3DS, so I don't know.  It feels like an issue like Nintendo had with the Wii U being such a fucking terrible name and that it makes people think it was just some add on for the Wii instead of a brand new system, but then again, the Wii was a terrible name to begin with lol

Make a new version of the handheld, that's fine, but they've essentially now created a wholly separate handheld, alongside the original 3DS, and it is gonna create confusion.  I don't get their mindset with this.  I'm pretty sure I don't see the "New 3DS" exclusives taking off to much and they just stop doing that and end making all the games be compatible with the original system.

How about? 3DS 3.0 (OG 3DS then XL and now the 3DS 3.0)
I mean 3DS 2.5. It's more a half step than a full step.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 06:55:54 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 07:53:27 pm »

Then they need to make the 3D 2DS, which will be named the New 3D2DS because we need some serious hardware variety, and there will only be games made for the New 3D2DS that can't be played by the 3DS, 2DS, or New 3DS.

davifus

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2014, 08:06:05 pm »

Then they need to make the 3D 2DS, which will be named the New 3D2DS because we need some serious hardware variety, and there will only be games made for the New 3D2DS that can't be played by the 3DS, 2DS, or New 3DS.

Lol 3D2DS with exclusive games. 2DS was step back. I dont even count that as legit DS. I'll have it my collection but thats about it.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:43:22 pm by davifus »

argyle

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2014, 08:55:06 pm »
I prefer the normal size 3DS and DS systems to their larger brothers. I am glad that they are seemingly incorporating the circle pad pro to the system though. But I'm not a fan of the cart slot being in the bottom. I can see a lot of accidental cart ejections happening with it there.
Yeah I'm worried about too because I've had too many times where I accidently ejected the cart by hitting against the wall while playing. Putting the cart slot in the front makes it too easy to bump with other objects/yourself and screw up your session. I might get the new model at some point in the future, but I don't really see it as a necessary upgrade right now.

I've done this w/ the cart being in the back.  Why can't they just put some kind of flap or cover over the slot?  Is that so hard? 

Anyway, let's face it - Nintendo is awesome at a lot of things, but naming things has NEVER been one of them.  We were too young at the time to realize how lazy the name "Super Nintendo" really was, and maybe having nearly every game on the system named "Super" something-or-other was cute.  But then with the N64 it got ridiculous.  Today I was looking up the new Smash Bros. to see what the exact name really was, because I hadn't paid the game much attention until today.  "Super Smash Bros. For Wii U" - really???   ??? ::)
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

davifus

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 08:58:00 pm »
I prefer the normal size 3DS and DS systems to their larger brothers. I am glad that they are seemingly incorporating the circle pad pro to the system though. But I'm not a fan of the cart slot being in the bottom. I can see a lot of accidental cart ejections happening with it there.
Yeah I'm worried about too because I've had too many times where I accidently ejected the cart by hitting against the wall while playing. Putting the cart slot in the front makes it too easy to bump with other objects/yourself and screw up your session. I might get the new model at some point in the future, but I don't really see it as a necessary upgrade right now.

I've done this w/ the cart being in the back.  Why can't they just put some kind of flap or cover over the slot?  Is that so hard? 

Anyway, let's face it - Nintendo is awesome at a lot of things, but naming things has NEVER been one of them.  We were too young at the time to realize how lazy the name "Super Nintendo" really was, and maybe having nearly every game on the system named "Super" something-or-other was cute.  But then with the N64 it got ridiculous.  Today I was looking up the new Smash Bros. to see what the exact name really was, because I hadn't paid the game much attention until today.  "Super Smash Bros. For Wii U" - really???   ??? ::)

Nintendo can learn some things from Sony. Vita has cartridge covers. Smash 4 is going be alright, but Melee is still the best.  Melee > Smash 64 > Smash 4 > Brawl.

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2014, 10:26:54 pm »
Lol 3D2DS with exclusive games. 2DS was step back. I dont even count that as legit DS. I'll have it my collection but thats about it.

I like my 2DS, I was glad it was cheaper and didn't have the 3D on it and I like the kinda fat tablet-like design of it.  Sure it's not portable, but I'm never carrying that around in a pocket, it's either in a car or I'm going to somewhere I can carry it in my messenger bag.  The only thing I think it needed was like the shoulder buttons turned into curved triggers on the back, which could've given it better grip and placement, since it's very obviously not meant to be pocket portable like most other handhelds lol

pacpix

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2014, 12:02:38 am »
I was not really impressed with the news today.  I would have rather seen these improvements in the next generation of handhelds.  I will not be picking this one up unless there is something really awesome like an exclusive Zelda game.  Even then I would pick it up a few years later when it is cheaper.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2014, 12:24:38 am »
I was not really impressed with the news today.  I would have rather seen these improvements in the next generation of handhelds.  I will not be picking this one up unless there is something really awesome like an exclusive Zelda game.  Even then I would pick it up a few years later when it is cheaper.

I'd be annoyed if the next handheld Zelda is New 3DS exclusive.  I'm not against a Mario game, because whatever, it's Mario, but I really hope they don't plan to do it too much.  I would've also have rather seen them do a hardware update with the next gen handhelds.  Give the 3DS a good 5 or 6 years, then bring out the new one.

davifus

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2014, 12:30:14 am »

I'd be annoyed if the next handheld Zelda is New 3DS exclusive.  I'm not against a Mario game, because whatever, it's Mario, but I really hope they don't plan to do it too much.  I would've also have rather seen them do a hardware update with the next gen handhelds.  Give the 3DS a good 5 or 6 years, then bring out the new one.

Honestly I won't be surprised If Nintendo does pull that card out. Not even a flinch ::)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 12:31:54 am by davifus »

pacpix

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 12:40:01 am »

Honestly I won't be surprised If Nintendo does pull that card out. Not even a flinch ::)
Heck, the reason I ended up getting a 3DS was for that shiny Link Between Worlds XL (Although download only game was lame)!  I always say I am not interested and then they release a new Zelda game that I have to get.  I feel like this may be the time where a possible Zelda game does not win me over since it is not really a fully new console.

davifus

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 12:42:53 am »

Heck, the reason I ended up getting a 3DS was for that shiny Link Between Worlds XL (Although download only game was lame)!  I always say I am not interested and then they release a new Zelda game that I have to get.  I feel like this may be the time where a possible Zelda game does not win me over since it is not really a fully new console.

I still have my Link between worlds game sealed with all the other 3DS game I got a while back during Best Buy 1 get 1 free deal. Link between worlds... more like Link between dust.

pacpix

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 12:47:56 am »

I still have my Link between worlds game sealed with all the other 3DS game I got a while back during Best Buy 1 get 1 free deal. Link between worlds... more like Link between dust.
You need to open that game up and treat it with the proper respect it deserves!  It is a fantastic game!

davifus

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2014, 12:49:24 am »

You need to open that game up and treat it with the proper respect it deserves!  It is a fantastic game!

Tell that to my other 400 neglected dust collectors. :P

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 02:18:53 am »
It was stated that developers can take advantage of the faster CPU. There's going to be a port of the Wii Xenoblade game that can't run on a standard 3DS/2DS; that requires the faster CPU.
So my 3DS XL won't be able to run it?