Author Topic: The Greatest PS3 Games Nobody Played  (Read 2421 times)

pacpix

The Greatest PS3 Games Nobody Played
« on: August 31, 2014, 03:03:49 am »
I was met with the surprise of a YLOD on my PS3 today!  I was sad at first, but then I realized there were so many games that I was missing out on as I was too busy playing the disc based games on the system.  Here is a list of my personal favorites:

Calculus Homework Paperweight

In this exciting game you have to use the PS3 to hold down your Calculus homework that just will not stay still.  The PS3 stops the movement of the paper allowing you to enjoy the limitless fun of Calculus homework without worrying about your papers flying away.  This is an integral piece of every PS3 collection!

Hat Holder

If you wear hats you know they take up a lot of space in the house.  If you just have no idea where to put all of those bothersome hats the PS3 can help with the game Hat Holder!  In this game you have to carefully place your hats on top of the PS3 in a way where you can fit multiple hats without them falling off.  For expert gamers I recommend playing Hat Holder and Calculus Homework Paperweight at the same time.

Weird Al CD Stacker

Put down that chainsaw and listen to me! In this high intensity game the player must stack as many Weird Al CDs as they can on top of the PS3 console.  This game may look easy at the start, but after you start adding label variants the game gets challenging fast.  Sweat will be pouring down your face as you concentrate on stacking the original Scotti Bros releases on top of their Volcano/Way Moby re-releases.  My highscore is 14 studio Al-bums and 5 compilation Al-bums (Non label variant mode).

Odyssey2 Box Display Table

What if I told you there was a way to display your Odyssey2 game boxes without dealing with bothersome things like flat surfaces and shelves?  Look no further than Odyssey2 Box Display Table for the PS3!   In this challenging game the player must find a way to keep Odyssey2 game boxes standing on the PS3's curved surface.  For an added challenge play Weird Al CD Stacker and use the Odyssey2 boxes as the base.

Door Stop

We all have that pesky door that just will not stay open.  Stop that door from shutting with the great PS3 exclusive Door Stop.  In this game the player must find the best place to put their PS3 to stop the door from closing.  I find the best place to put the PS3 is on the floor next to the door, but players may develop their own strategies to complete the game.  Don't be surprised when your heart stops playing Door Stop!

:'(
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

jcalder8

Re: The Greatest PS3 Games Nobody Played
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:03:17 am »
That really sucks :(

YLOD is what made me finally get a slim. I went through 4 systems before I gave up on the backwards compatibility.

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 11:12:57 am »
I've had my slim since 2008 and it is still kickin. Given that the PS3 is still pretty valuable, I'd sell it for parts on Craigslist or Ebay. You'd probably be able to get around $60 for it still. And then upgrade to a slim or super slim. Way more reliable.

pacpix

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 12:38:05 pm »
I'm going to try to fix it first, but if that does not work I will probably get a slim.

90snostalga

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 01:24:02 pm »
I hate to hear that about your ps3. Remember I had to send my super slim back and I just found out yesterday my cousin has a super slim gta5 bundle same as me, and he just sent it to Sony on Friday because it stopped working. If my warranty replacement holds up for the next 6 months I'll be happy but if not, no ps4 for me or any more ps3s :(. Get it together Sony!

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 09:23:34 pm »
All is not lost my friend.

Check out my thread here:

http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,5183.0.html

If you only got one YLOD then you might still be able to save it. Chances are it just needs a good cleaning and some new properly applied thermal paste.

You *might* need to reflow the CPUs to get the solder to make good contact again but everything else (cooler power supply, better fan, copper shims, etc.) are a waste of time and money.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 09:26:42 pm by dashv »

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 11:10:08 pm »
I have reflowed plenty of boards for ps3 and xbox 360 ... All the ones I did still work til this day.. Good luck if you have any questions you can PM me.

pacpix

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 01:51:42 pm »

If you only got one YLOD then you might still be able to save it. Chances are it just needs a good cleaning and some new properly applied thermal paste.

You *might* need to reflow the CPUs to get the solder to make good contact again but everything else (cooler power supply, better fan, copper shims, etc.) are a waste of time and money.
I was planning on using your guide, but I did not plan on using it so soon after my purchase ha.  When I get paid I am going to pick up some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and a heat gun. 

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 04:17:53 pm »

I was planning on using your guide, but I did not plan on using it so soon after my purchase ha.  When I get paid I am going to pick up some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste and a heat gun.

That is a bummer. I thought you had just picked it up.

I'd suggest going with Arctic MX 4 instead.

It's got better conductivity so it transfers more heat but unlike Arctic silver it's non-capacitive so you don't need to worry about shorting anything if it gets on stuff it shouldn't.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 04:19:22 pm »
I have reflowed plenty of boards for ps3 and xbox 360 ... All the ones I did still work til this day.. Good luck if you have any questions you can PM me.

Good to know! Any tips for safely pulling the heat spreader off the Cell? The razor blade method seems too risky to me.

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 11:42:52 pm »
You can try the nail file approach... PMed the video

pacpix

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:09 pm »

That is a bummer. I thought you had just picked it up.

I'd suggest going with Arctic MX 4 instead.

It's got better conductivity so it transfers more heat but unlike Arctic silver it's non-capacitive so you don't need to worry about shorting anything if it gets on stuff it shouldn't.
OK I will buy that instead, thanks for the suggestion!  I'll be sure to PM you or Critter7405 if I need any help.

pacpix

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 11:33:12 pm »
On a side note, if you have not played Weird Al CD Stacker you are really missing out! :P

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 12:38:33 am »
Popping the heat spreaders off the cpu/gpu is the most nerve wracking part. I'll dig up the video I followed for the gpu. Worked like a charm.

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 01:24:12 am »
Gamestop oversold their pre-orders when I got my PS3, so I had to get one off Ebay. Here's another game most have never played on PS3. It's called "Try to get the original receipt back from the Ebay seller". I got the yellow light pretty much outta the box and had Resistance stuck inside. Sony wouldn't fix it because they told me there was no way of telling when I bought it without the original receipt. The damn thing had only been out a couple weeks!!!

Do you know if you can play Weird Al stacker without the YLOD? I feel like I'm missing out. Kinda want to try it with the LP's I have.