Author Topic: Anime/Manga/Etc...  (Read 109855 times)

davifus

Re: Anime/Manga/Etc...
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2014, 12:42:29 pm »
2014 was a fantastic year for Anime.

*This is in no particular order. These are the shows I watched and mildly enjoyed 

- Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! 2
- Maken-Ki! Two
- Gin no Saji
- Space Dandy
- Nourin
- Witch Craft Works
- Mahou Sensou - Magical Warfare This show was an absolute mess.
- Nisekoi
- Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta
- Seitokai Yakuindomo 2
- Noragami
- D-Frag
- Tonari no Seki-Kun
- Z/X Ignition
- Nobunagun
- Hamatora
- Sekai Seifuku: Bouryaku no Zevezda
- Date A live II
- Black Bullet
- Kanojo ga Flag o Oraretara
- Seikoku no Dragonar
- Break Blade
- Haikyuu
- Gokukoku no Bynhildr
- Hitsugi no Chaika
- Mahouka Koukou no rettiusei
- No Game No Life
- Mekaku City Actors
- Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to the Animation
- Soredemo sekai wa Utsukushii
- Escha & Logy
- Ryuugajou Nanana no Maizoukin
- SAO II
- Akame Ga Kill
- P4 G Animation
- Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance
- Free Eternal Summer
- Ao Haru Ride
- Space Dandy 2
- Tokyo Ghoul
- Glass Slip
- Re:Hamatora
- Shirogane no ishi: Argevollen
- Gekkan Shoujo nozaki Kun
- Rokujouma no Shinryakusha
- Rail Wars
- Aldnoah Zero
- Fate/Stay Night
- Psycho Pass 2
- Hitsugi no Chaika: Avenging Battle
- Log Horizon 2
- Amagi Brillant Park
- Daitoshokan no Hitsujakai
- Ushinawareta Mirai o Motomete
- Denki gi no hon ya san
- Akatsuki no Yona
- Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road
- Grisaia No Kaijitsu
- Inou Battle wa Nichijou Kei no Naka de
- Madan no ou to Vanadis
- Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
- trinity Seven
- Nanatsu no Taizai

that about the gist of it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 12:44:58 pm by davifus »
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #106 on: December 28, 2014, 02:08:29 am »
Finally decided to watch the last episode of Akame ga Kill...SPOILERS SPOILERS...

I don't think I've ever come across an ending quite like this.  Of the 10 characters that made up Night Raid, only 2 survived.  It almost makes the ending feel abit hollow because so many people I liked died, but it was never done poorly as every death was impactful, emotional, and only drove the surviving characters to better accomplish their mission.  I wanted Mine and Tatsumi to survive and get together, or Leone to continue being Big Sis to Tatsumi, and really it goes back to just wanting to see more Bulat or Sheele cause they were great.  It's just one of those stories where it is trying to tell you that even though victory is possible, it's not gonna work out like how you want.  Where you got shows like Fairy Tail, which shouts out that "Friendship is the greatest strength of all", Akame ga Kill just says "Fuck that, friendship isn't a power, people die" lol I liked the show and while I'm not happy with the ending, it makes sense to me.  Would be cool to see another season or just an OVA where it's Akame a few years later, now a roaming mercenary of sorts, fighting the new evil that crops up now that the powerful corrupt empire is destroyed.

davifus

« Reply #107 on: December 28, 2014, 05:48:17 pm »
Finally decided to watch the last episode of Akame ga Kill...SPOILERS SPOILERS...

I don't think I've ever come across an ending quite like this.  Of the 10 characters that made up Night Raid, only 2 survived.  It almost makes the ending feel abit hollow because so many people I liked died, but it was never done poorly as every death was impactful, emotional, and only drove the surviving characters to better accomplish their mission.  I wanted Mine and Tatsumi to survive and get together, or Leone to continue being Big Sis to Tatsumi, and really it goes back to just wanting to see more Bulat or Sheele cause they were great.  It's just one of those stories where it is trying to tell you that even though victory is possible, it's not gonna work out like how you want.  Where you got shows like Fairy Tail, which shouts out that "Friendship is the greatest strength of all", Akame ga Kill just says "Fuck that, friendship isn't a power, people die" lol I liked the show and while I'm not happy with the ending, it makes sense to me.  Would be cool to see another season or just an OVA where it's Akame a few years later, now a roaming mercenary of sorts, fighting the new evil that crops up now that the powerful corrupt empire is destroyed.

A lot of people hated how the anime version ended. The manga version is different.

« Reply #108 on: December 28, 2014, 11:12:10 pm »

A lot of people hated how the anime version ended. The manga version is different.

Is it drastically different? I'm really not likely to go to the manga, can't afford to really get manga like I'd want to, but it can't be that significantly different, can it?

« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2014, 03:03:00 am »
And finished Sword Art Online 2.  I was kinda bummed after the GGO section we were back to Alfeheim and that it felt like the story was just gonna be kinda mini stories to finish it up, or it was just gonna end up being a small story with Asuna dealing with her mom, but it became something I wasn't quite expecting.  It was handled very well though and I was pretty satisfied by it as it took a different direction than what would be considered the last three arc's of the series which were a much more frantic and intense completion to the story with very dire consequences.  Don't know much about what is to come other than it'll be set around a new game called Underworld they participate in, so it'll be interesting to see where that goes.

After watching this, it just makes me want to go back to the good times I had in MMO's years ago.  The early days of Star Wars Galaxies, playing with those I knew or came to know locally in my small town (In a time for my town when internet was not the best for us), or at a bigger more anonymous scale of the early days of Warcraft, completing Molten Core for the first time with the guild, or even the short time I spent with close friends in Final Fantasy XI.  Never been able to get back the same feelings of those days.

And slightly off topic, but Crunchyroll related, is there anything in the drama show section that is worth checking out? I've never really watched regular Japanese shows and I'm kinda curious if there's anything worth taking a look at.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 03:18:44 am by kamikazekeeg »

« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2015, 09:15:22 pm »
Just finished watching all of Hunter X Hunter.  Overall not too bad of a show, though it was all over the place in terms of quality.  For one, it started out with a number of very anti-climatic conclusions to things, and it took 30 episodes before there was a proper fight.  It seems also like they wanted to do a much bigger story, like One Piece level, but I guess because the manga is going so slow due to the creator maybe having health issues, it just won't happen.  By the end, so much of the story is left unfinished.  Also, I really hate Leorio lol He's completely useless to the entire story, but they keep wanting to put him into the main group as being on the level with them.

It was a show that was better than I expected, but could have  been way better than that had the writing been better.  Many times throughout the 148 episodes I just got annoyed at story elements, and character designs, and trying to make you care for certain characters...No, I will not care for the stupid fucking octopus character! The Chimera Ants in the NGL story arc drove me nuts.  Just from design when they stopped being bug-like, to how they wanted you to feel something for these characters who are mass murderers.  One or two earn it and that is it.  The NGL Arc might have most of the better story stuff that happens in the show and what could be the worst.  Plus they drag the crap out of the story in the later half of it.  Though generally keeps better pace than a lot of the other shounen shows out there like Naruto and One Piece, who kill countless episodes with constant flashbacks and dragged out battles.  They also had like one or two recap episodes in the earlier time of the series, which was nuts, but they eventually stopped that.

Would be nice for the show to be brought back eventually, but I doubt it since it seems like it'll take years for the manga to move along far enough to start up the show again.

« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2015, 05:36:08 am »
Anyone watched Coppelion? If you haven't probably don't watch Coppelion.  It's an infuriating show with an interesting setting and premise, but ridiculously annoying lead characters lol

azure

« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2015, 08:46:56 am »
I've been rewatching School Rumble and I forgot how much I loved it, something about this Anime's humor and atmosphere that really clicks with me.

« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2015, 03:27:47 am »
I hate watching a show just to find out it's unfinished and unlikely to return.  Watched through Deadman Wonderland, which was messed up, though watchable, but it just ends with little explained.  Didn't seem to be very popular, so it's not gonna return.  Super sucky.  I did that with a TV show awhile back that I watched online that I thought was really interesting.  Only had one season and then was canceled.  Super lame!

davifus

« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2015, 10:10:26 am »
I hate watching a show just to find out it's unfinished and unlikely to return.  Watched through Deadman Wonderland, which was messed up, though watchable, but it just ends with little explained.  Didn't seem to be very popular, so it's not gonna return.  Super sucky.  I did that with a TV show awhile back that I watched online that I thought was really interesting.  Only had one season and then was canceled.  Super lame!

Deadman wonderland was one of those shows that was only made into an anime with the mindset of increasing Light novel sales. The way they paced it really turned me off from it. It was really cool in the beginning then pacing and the way they cut off the season 1 really killed it for me.

« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2015, 04:13:54 pm »
Deadman wonderland was one of those shows that was only made into an anime with the mindset of increasing Light novel sales. The way they paced it really turned me off from it. It was really cool in the beginning then pacing and the way they cut off the season 1 really killed it for me.

That's what I've come to realize and yeah the ending was terrible.  Was a terrible spot for it and especially to make the actual last episode a flashback for Crow.  It was a good episode, but that should've been put into the show a couple episodes back as it means they didn't even end the season on the main characters. 

« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2015, 06:50:46 pm »
Not sure if I like Samurai Flamenco or not lol It starts out with kind of a real and interesting premise, like an anime "Kick-Ass" in a way, but then they introduce actual monsters and complete nonsense to the story to kinda make the idea of being a superhero a reality, which sorta ruins any of the drama the show had.  I still want to keep watching though, cause it interjects realistic aspects into certain parts that keep it engaging, I just don't find all the monster stuff to actually be any good.  I'm just waiting for this all to turn out to be like...a dream sequence or a fictional story within something lol

« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2015, 09:14:26 pm »
is anyone going to ACEN (anime central)?

« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2015, 06:59:33 am »
ACEN was amazing as always.
my daughter went as "attack on wub wub" and she had a blast.

« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2015, 02:45:15 pm »
Pretty nice. I miss going to cons.  Haven't been to a proper one in about 3 years.