Author Topic: Less than 50 games to go!  (Read 3417 times)

abe

Re: Less than 50 games to go!
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 09:12:42 am »
I modded mine, so yeah it's possible. Lots of tedious soldering on the pins, but it's not too hard.

Your avatar is awesome.

You can get than in tshirt form here: http://www.bustedtees.com/blowme
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

tpugmire

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 09:13:40 am »
That's where I got it from.
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

Warmsignal

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 01:26:05 pm »
Looks like it's back up to 54. Anyways, there's no way a hardcore VGcollect 'er only wants 550 games. There are so many more good games out there than that! I can tell myself that I only have 300 more to go, but it's not true. Really my wishlist is just games I want the most, not all the games I want. LOL For some consoles, I didn't even bother adding much of anything. SNES - Is Earthbound the only game I want? Psshh. Sure.

It's hopeless, but there will always be more games I want than what is financially possible to acquire. Especially these days, where the average cost of classic games has risen over 100%. When I started out, I usually paid $2-4 per game, now it's more like $6-10. Some day, maybe.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:32:38 pm by Warmsignal »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 10:18:51 pm »
Looks like it's back up to 54. Anyways, there's no way a hardcore VGcollect 'er only wants 550 games. There are so many more good games out there than that! I can tell myself that I only have 300 more to go, but it's not true. Really my wishlist is just games I want the most, not all the games I want. LOL For some consoles, I didn't even bother adding much of anything. SNES - Is Earthbound the only game I want? Psshh. Sure.

It's hopeless, but there will always be more games I want than what is financially possible to acquire. Especially these days, where the average cost of classic games has risen over 100%. When I started out, I usually paid $2-4 per game, now it's more like $6-10. Some day, maybe.

Yeah the gamer in me has won out over the collector. I've decided for some games (like earthbound and little Sampson) I will have to live with virtual console and other methods.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 02:50:31 am by dashv »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:20 pm »

Yeah the gamer in me has won out over the collector. I've decided for some games (like earthbound little Sampson) I will have to live with virtual console and other methods.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Play games first. Collect games because you like them. Collecting to just collect is dumb.

karyann

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 07:59:36 pm »
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Play games first. Collect games because you like them. Collecting to just collect is dumb.

That's the kind of behaviour that leads to annoying people who show off how pricey their games are and how many they own, regardless of what they are. Or it's probably the other way around; people who need an ego boost start collecting to show how big is their pe how much their collection cost?  Maybe a mix of both. I don't know.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 09:29:07 pm »

That's the kind of behaviour that leads to annoying people who show off how pricey their games are and how many they own, regardless of what they are. Or it's probably the other way around; people who need an ego boost start collecting to show how big is their pe how much their collection cost?  Maybe a mix of both. I don't know.

I'm not going to lie. I get the pissing match mentality every now and then.  I'll see someone showing off their tiny SNES and think, "I wouldn't bother even showing that off".  I'm a dick, though.

That's their collection. If it makes them happy, I should give them the pat on the back that they deserve.

maximo310

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 09:53:38 pm »

I'm not going to lie. I get the pissing match mentality every now and then.  I'll see someone showing off their tiny SNES and think, "I wouldn't bother even showing that off".  I'm a dick, though.

That's their collection. If it makes them happy, I should give them the pat on the back that they deserve.
Yeah, there's a few people I know who like to excessively show off their collection stuff. One guy in particular( who actually started collecting thanks to him playing my consoles at my house) will brags about deals such as " I got 50  resurfaced playstation discs for $20, which is nice and all, but I also don't get why he brags about how many games he has on Steam( and some other people compete to see who has the most games, even if they never get around to 10% of them). Who knows what the guy will buy anyways, since he makes a lot of random purchases.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:15:46 am by maximo310 »

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2014, 01:04:02 am »

Yeah, there's a few people I know who like to execessively show off their collection stuff. One guy in particular( who actually started collecting thanks to him playing my consoles at my house) constantly brags about deals such as " I got 50  resurfaced playstation discs for $20,), which is nice and all, but I'm somewhat indifferent to that since I just try to focus on what I want to get for my collection. Who knows what the guy will buy anyways, since he makes a lot of random purchases.

Yeah, I get really excited when I get new "old stuff" and sometimes I worry that some of my posts in the recently purchased thread might come off as bragging.

Then theflea posts that he found 8 copies of Earthbound mint for $1 and I breath a sigh of relief.

If that's not bragging (and I DON'T consider any of his posts to be bragging) then my posts are fine. :)

I think both collecting to collect and collecting to play are okay and most folks who brag probably do it because they are excited and proud of what they have managed to acquire. If it wasn't the case it'd be a waste.

Warmsignal

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 02:01:00 am »
Can't say I've ever actually heard of someone bragging. Talking about your most expensive purchases, or that you got a great deal on something isn't bragging.

The closest to bragging I've heard is the "can you beat my collection" threads posted by the one guy here. Not sure the point of such threads, other than to brag. If value or quantity doesn't matter, then there really is no reason to look at it as a competition. To me the perfect collection is the one that has the exact games I would want, no more and no less. And for some people, that could be no more than 300 games, for others it could be 2800 games, because tastes vary.

maximo310

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2014, 02:13:43 am »
Can't say I've ever actually heard of someone bragging. Talking about your most expensive purchases, or that you got a great deal on something isn't bragging.

The closest to bragging I've heard is the "can you beat my collection" threads posted by the one guy here. Not sure the point of such threads, other than to brag. If value or quantity doesn't matter, then there really is no reason to look at it as a competition. To me the perfect collection is the one that has the exact games I would want, no more and no less. And for some people, that could be no more than 300 games, for others it could be 2800 games, because tastes vary.
Yeah, that was weird when I saw those 3 threads with similiar titles on the same day, and I was like " Huh, really? Was this needed?" I always think that searching for quality over quantity is the best way to go, and the way you can chose how to do it as well is pretty fun as well.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2014, 02:26:41 am »

Yeah, that was weird when I saw those 3 threads with similiar titles on the same day, and I was like " Huh, really? Was this needed?" I always think that searching for quality over quantity is the best way to go, and the way you can chose how to do it as well is pretty fun as well.

I don't think those threads were about bragging, they were about getting more views for his YouTube videos.

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2014, 02:44:20 am »

This has always been my philosophy when collecting; I don't care if I'm missing certain rare or acclaimed titles, or if my collection is way smaller then the next guy/girl. I only care that I have all the games I care about and that is that. Some collectors want entire complete console libraries. Me, I only want the games I plan on playing someday. Everyone is different.

As for the braggart, I agree with Burningdoom, I think he was view baiting more than actually claiming he had the best PS3 or PS1 collection. I have seen many PS1 collections vastly superior to his. It wasn't until after I posted my own PS1 collection that I realized he probably knew he didn't have the best collection for that console, he just wanted views. All well. Doubt we'll ever hear from him again.

Warmsignal

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2014, 02:46:57 am »

I don't think those threads were about bragging, they were about getting more views for his YouTube videos.

Pretty much, but the wording I think was intended to come off that way.

argyle

« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2014, 06:44:53 am »

Yeah, there's a few people I know who like to execessively show off their collection stuff. One guy in particular( who actually started collecting thanks to him playing my consoles at my house) constantly brags about deals such as " I got 50  resurfaced playstation discs for $20,), which is nice and all, but I'm somewhat indifferent to that since I just try to focus on what I want to get for my collection. Who knows what the guy will buy anyways, since he makes a lot of random purchases.

Yeah, I get really excited when I get new "old stuff" and sometimes I worry that some of my posts in the recently purchased thread might come off as bragging.

Then theflea posts that he found 8 copies of Earthbound mint for $1 and I breath a sigh of relief.

If that's not bragging (and I DON'T consider any of his posts to be bragging) then my posts are fine. :)

I think both collecting to collect and collecting to play are okay and most folks who brag probably do it because they are excited and proud of what they have managed to acquire. If it wasn't the case it'd be a waste.

There's definitely a difference between being happy/excited/proud of a new pickup and just posting what you have to brag.  And I think the regulars here all know each other well enough to tell the difference (and I don't think I've ever seen a regular post anything that I'd consider bragging, unless it was done as a joke). 
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis