Author Topic: To FF XIII or not FF XIII? That is the question.  (Read 3460 times)

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: To FF XIII or not FF XIII? That is the question.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 09:40:21 pm »
I'm with Argyle on this one. While 13 did have it's linearity, there's a lot of lore there that can be interesting. Visually it's very nice and the battle system, while it takes a while to get really familiar with, is more complex than it appears.

I thought it was a big improvement with 13-2. I loved that the story involved time travel and parallel dimensions. It was really cool to see some of the same environments in different states of condition, and how your actions affected later timelines. One thing I never see people talk about is how great the antagonist, Caius, is. He's pretty awesome!

I tried to play lightening returns (or 13-3) but got pretty flustered feeling I was missing stuff. I have the strategy guide now, but haven't had a chance to go back to the game. The core concept seems pretty cool though! I'm hoping the strategy guide can better prioritize what I want to do and when since the world has a timer. That and make fighting a bit easier  :-\.

Okay. Now that I know time travel and alternate universes are part of the story I'll plow my way through the first one and play the second.

I'm a sucker for that kinda stuff.

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2014, 09:09:06 am »
I would skip 13 if I were you, but everyone I know that loves the FF series was dissapointed by the major changes.
1) The game is literally a hallway. You walk in a straight line the entire game.
2) Combat is real time instead of turn based.

My friend said she liked it so I gave it a try but I gave up after an hour or two.

I can't tell you if the plot gets better, but from what I played the plot was all over the place. They go for a mystery kind of plot where you have no idea what's going on initially and 2 hours later I still didn't fully understand what was going on. Something about a prophecy, genocide, and the end of the world.

desocietas

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2014, 02:59:38 pm »
My friend is nearing the end of FFXIII for his stream, and he's starting to let go of his hate a bit.  He loves the FF series and still prefers the older turn-based style but has gone from saying that he hates it to "it's aight."  So maybe things do get better 60 hours in?  It's a helluva investment, and now the trilogy is coming out for Steam...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

davifus

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 03:06:04 pm »
Play it play it play it...

One of us one of us one of us
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

abe

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 05:53:02 pm »
The impression I've gotten from people who have played FF XIII is that if they were a fan of the Final Fantasy series, they hated or at least disliked it. The people who didn't care for Final Fantasy didn't mind or actually enjoyed FF XIII.
Currently playing: Persona 5 (PS4)

davifus

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 06:13:34 pm »
The impression I've gotten from people who have played FF XIII is that if they were a fan of the Final Fantasy series, they hated or at least disliked it. The people who didn't care for Final Fantasy didn't mind or actually enjoyed FF XIII.

Well I love the FF Series and I dont hate FFXIII. Its not the best of the series but I dont hate it. I have my fair share of enjoyment.

redrowz

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 06:56:50 pm »
The real question is, why did you skip XII! It's great. Play that, or wait for XV / XVI.

davifus

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 07:06:36 pm »
The real question is, why did you skip XII! It's great. Play that, or wait for XV / XVI.

Why do people say XII is good? I feel like its mediocre at best. Extremely underwhelming
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:17:03 pm by davifus »

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 08:59:22 pm »

Why do people say XII is good? I feel like its mediocre at best. Extremely underwhelming

I had the same feeling.  I didn't get too far in it.  I really felt like it could've been significantly better had they reworked the story so you were someone else instead of Vaan.  It was a real bad idea making him the lead.

davifus

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 09:03:20 pm »

I had the same feeling.  I didn't get too far in it.  I really felt like it could've been significantly better had they reworked the story so you were someone else instead of Vaan.  It was a real bad idea making him the lead.

Yeah, Story is pretty bland. I went through about 90% of game before I lost the file (Replaying it so at least I can finish it and hope the ending can change my mind). The story... is pretty underwhelming.

maximo310

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 09:07:14 pm »

Yeah, Story is pretty bland. I went through about 90% of game before I lost the file (Replaying it so at least I can finish it and hope the ending can change my mind). The story... is pretty underwhelming.
I've played a little bit of XII, about 5 hours or so, and yeah the story is also pretty weak in the game in the way they decided to present it. I only stuck through it just to try out the new gameplay systems and see if anything interesting was going to happen but nope.  Because of that, I've haven't gone back to the game since I tried it out.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2014, 09:16:24 pm »

I though 11 and 12 were online deals. I don't have the time, patience or commitment to extended online gaming sessions like I did when I was in college. :(

Actually. I didn't have time for them then either. ;)

desocietas

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 09:23:59 pm »

I though 11 and 12 were online deals. I don't have the time, patience or commitment to extended online gaming sessions like I did when I was in college. :(

You're thinking of 11 and 13.  12 was on PS2 and I enjoyed it, but I haven't played much of the FF series.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

davifus

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2014, 09:28:24 pm »

You're thinking of 11 and 13.  12 was on PS2 and I enjoyed it, but I haven't played much of the FF series.

11 & 14*

desocietas

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2014, 09:31:56 pm »

11 & 14*

derp... thanks. i said 14 in my head but totally wrote 13.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas