Author Topic: Pier Solar releases on the 30th of this month  (Read 2630 times)

soera

Pier Solar releases on the 30th of this month
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:41:06 pm »
Im looking forward to this ... just cant find any info on whether it has a physical release.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Pier Solar releases on the 30th of this month
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:58:34 pm »
Wooo hooo!!!!

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 04:07:43 pm »
So far, all I've seen is just the digital download release on every major platform right now for wii u, steam, the xboxes, and ps3+ps4.

davifus

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 04:18:15 pm »
Yoooooooo
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 05:08:11 pm »
The fuck! Why is the Dreamcast version delayed again?! I have never encountered a more frustrating video game release! Maybe I'll get my copy before this decade is over  ::)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 01:12:49 am »
At this point I might as well get the PS3 version.

bobster

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 09:41:31 am »
Well, on one hand I'm glad to hear that it's moving forward. On the other hand, I want my Dreamcast version already  :'(. Maybe I should buy the Genesis reprint as well while it's available...
Currently Playing: The Witcher

Bwigdahl

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 12:30:25 pm »
When is the re-print available? that's the one I ordered.

bobster

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 12:46:18 pm »
When is the re-print available? that's the one I ordered.
I think it's supposed to be out at the same time as the Dreamcast version. I read some stuff on their forums that they sent an email to kickstart backers talking about it being delayed because of a new manufacturing process they're trying to get just right.
Currently Playing: The Witcher

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 01:01:09 pm »
On the bright-side, an Xbox Live/PSN release will be cheaper, and it won't go to crazy collector's value like the Genesis carts have.

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 02:27:15 pm »
Oh Yeah, I saw this on Kickstarter after reading about the MegaDrive Cartridge they made awhile back. I had to back this one. Waiting for my Limited Collector's Edition for PC (and now glad I have a PC for gaming now).

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 05:20:18 pm »
On the bright-side, an Xbox Live/PSN release will be cheaper, and it won't go to crazy collector's value like the Genesis carts have.

Exactly. I'm actually opting out of most homebrew for exactly that reason. By the time I hear of most stuff it's out of print and jacked up to insane prices.

I'd love a retrozone SMB2J or Donkey Kong Pie Factory for nes. I'm even willing to pay $50 for the developer to make a bit of money for his/her efforts. But I'm not willing to spend $200 or more on a game no matter what the game is.

I wish the authors of the above mentioned homebrews would release the roms now that they are out of print and they are no longer the ones profiting from the sales. But alas I will likely never play those games.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 05:22:01 pm by dashv »

foxhack

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 06:36:35 pm »
I wish the authors of the above mentioned homebrews would release the roms now that they are out of print and they are no longer the ones profiting from the sales. But alas I will likely never play those games.

They won't, because if they did, their hacks would be bootlegged to hell and back, making them worthless. Kind of ironic.

And meh at console versions of Pier Solar. I'll just wait for a Steam sale. :p

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 07:06:04 pm »

They won't, because if they did, their hacks would be bootlegged to hell and back, making them worthless. Kind of ironic.

And meh at console versions of Pier Solar. I'll just wait for a Steam sale. :p

The Atari 2600 homebrewers release the roms for their games all the time when they go out of print.

As a Software Engineer myself I can't think of a worse fate for one of my creations than for it to become something rare, obscure, and little known.

If I managed to make something awesome and fun to play and I was done making my money on it I'd want it out there for everyone and anyone to be able to enjoy it.

I also think it's a hilarious double standard folks have about not dumping the roms for those games to "protect the developer" when they are:

a) no longer making money from the sales because they are out of print. So all copies are second hand copies that are not profiting the original developer.
b) some of those same people have rom collections which include every commercial video game ever released and they feel no guilt about this.

foxhack

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 07:45:08 pm »
The Atari 2600 homebrewers release the roms for their games all the time when they go out of print.

And there are at least a thousand times more NES collectors than 2600 collectors, and I bet you that 90% of them can be duped into buying a bootleg cart release of a limited edition game because they don't know better. 2600 collectors, on the other hand, do know better since they're much more niche and a tighter community.

Not to mention it's much cheaper to make NES bootlegs than 2600 bootlegs. Anyone can take a game and slap it on a new, mass-produced NES board. Or if they're hacks, a quick ROM swap and boom, new game for sale. I hate repro hacks and stuff but even I think that these limited edition carts are fine because they don't get pirated to hell and back.

If these guys really wanted to have their games played by everyone then they'd release the roms, true, but they don't, very likely for the reasons I mentioned - and that's their choice.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 07:48:24 pm by foxhack »