Author Topic: iOS and Android are relevant.  (Read 1454 times)

brunauss

iOS and Android are relevant.
« on: September 28, 2014, 03:26:55 pm »
I have done so much searching through this entire forum and found nothing referencing iOS and Android. Maybe in the midst of the search, I actually missed the singular thread that may have discussed this. It wasn't all that relevant to me in the past, but as some may have noticed lately, I have not been purchasing a lot of games lately. I am basically a broke ass gamer now. So I began searching online for what was available for free. Compared to 6 years ago, A LOT. Not anything weak either. Here is a small list of free games I have found so far and enjoyed.

Walking Dead Season 1 [ Android
Walking Dead Season 2 [ Android
Xion Episode 1 [ Android ] For those that enjoyed Myst.

For those that enjoy maze puzzle games:
Aerox [ iOS

If you liked Ballance http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=52453
Try these out:
Balance 3D [ Android
Ball travel 3D [ Android
Ball Travel Zero [ Android

LEGO Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles [ Android
LEGO Star Wars: The Yoda Chronicles 2 [ Android

Marathon [ iOS
Marathon: Durandal [ iOS
Marathon: Infinity [ iOS

Want to enjoy those classic FPS titles? One particular studio Went above and beyond to bring you that fun and added integrated corded game controller interface as well. The studio is Beloko games. The only snag is the core .wad file needs to be added from an existing game. Those can easily be chased down via Id own forum app called Doom idgames App. If you don't mind paying a little, The complete Doom 3 can be had on iOS exclusively.

Perhaps this is in the wrong forum section... perhaps not. i just feel a strong case has to be made, because... well... I would like the option of being able to archive these additions along with my other titles. If your looking for sheer numbers to justify the relevancy of these two platforms, then take a look at these lists and see for yourself:

iOS https://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/ios-games/id6014?mt=8&letter=W
Android https://play.google.com/store/apps/category/GAME

Its not a myth and don't believe the gossip. iOS and Android are seriously competitive portable gaming platforms. They are relevant and should finally get their own category on here under those exact two names. It is time to take notice of them as successful game platforms. Even a specialized game console was created to enjoy these games the same way gamers enjoy any other console game: OUYA.
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

maximo310

Re: iOS and Android are relevant.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 03:31:27 pm »
Well, thanks for the list. Even though I have my reasons to not do Android gaming alot(because of my pretty subpar phone), I will check some of these free games out to play. I will say that many people don't see Android or Ios as serious platforms because of many of the games that proliferate the top lists in the store, multiple issues with basic ports to these systems, having to get your own accessories because touchscreen controls are usually not the best, as well as other issues depending on the device.

foxhack

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 04:00:58 pm »
It's not that we don't think Android / iOS aren't proper game systems.

It's just that games can be removed without warning, they can stop working completely with an OS update, can sometimes be locked to a specific vendor / hardware profile... and there are so many "free" games... the kind of crap that's pay to win, that basically block you from doing anything until you pay lots of money. I don't feel comfortable listing those here.

However I am just one guy, and there's other things that I don't like being listed here, yet are still allowed, so it's up to the other mods to make their opinion known.

brunauss

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:11:58 pm »
I have heard about game cancellations being a big problem on Android. Glad I have not run into this yet and have Sisimizi for my hard copy collection backup. I can at least get everything listed there still *chuckles* Thanks for all the input so far guys. Good to see you are still on board Fox. You were a very welcome and helpful hand back when I was getting my collection loaded onto this site.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 04:14:10 pm by brunauss »
SWFL Werewolf Gamer

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 04:16:12 pm »
I vote with a resounding "no".

It's my belief (and this belief is a fact) that this website is for cataloging physical games (and sometimes related memorabilia). The fact that Steam games are allowed is not something I particularly agree with, but it makes more sense than iOS/Android. PC is a real platform, and the games on Steam typically come with physical counterparts. Not to mention that Steam is pretty widely accepted as a platform. Mobile phone/tablet operating systems are not. Unless a physical, tangible app is released, I'm afraid I'll have to vote no. It just doesn't belong here, is all.

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 04:18:41 pm »
I have Android games and such, but I also agree that it's not terribly necessary for them to be on this site.  Not many of them are *exclusive* to Android/iOS... they may seem like it for a while but if they're popular enough, they get ported/rebooted for PC/consoles.

I just wanted to mention, for other free/cheap games, definitely keep Humble Bundle and the other various bundle sites close to you.  There are a lot of free/very,very inexpensive games there that can occupy you for endless hours.  And those you CAN add to VGC  8)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

foxhack

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 04:32:50 pm »
I have heard about game cancellations being a big problem on Android. Glad I have not run into this yet and have Sisimizi for my hard copy collection backup. I can at least get everything listed there still *chuckles* Thanks for all the input so far guys. Good to see you are still on board Fox. You were a very welcome and helpful hand back when I was getting my collection loaded onto this site.

You misunderstand, I don't want Android games here. :P But I wouldn't be opposed to having them listed if the other mods were fine with that. Almost everyone here knows and understands why I have a very vocal dislike of reproduction carts, and yet they're still here. It might be a bit hypocritical considering the large amount of bootlegged items I own (and have listed), aheh...