Author Topic: October 2014 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased  (Read 32856 times)

Bwigdahl

Re: October 2014 - Recently Added to Collection/Recently Purchased
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 03:48:21 pm »
Metroid Other M must not have sold well though... Whenever I go to Best Buy or Target they always have about 20 copies sitting on the shelf still priced at 50 bucks... I got lucky and went into a Best Buy once and got a New copy for 5 bucks. I think they were trying to just get rid of them... but apparently it didn't work because they still have a shit ton of copies in stock lol

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 03:53:44 pm »
Other M was admittedly not as good as the Prime games or the 2D games in the series. But an "abomination"? I think that's a bit strong. I still enjoyed the game, and it still had that Nintendo-level of polish to it.
I agree, I think people were to hard on it, critics and nerds alike. :P
I mean c'mon, God forbid she is an actual human being with real emotions and that she is not just a bad ass killing machine. And people who complain that she's to sexualized forget that she always was since the original Metroid, beating the game in a fast time to see her in a bikini. Those self righteous people need to get over themselves!

So..anyway, to start the month off, I got Smash Bros for 3DS! Pre-ordered it at Gamestop and they had a midnight launch.

But she didn't have realistic emotions.  She had sociopathic emotions, crippling daddy issues with a man she didn't even respect, and went from being a character who had previously committed wholesale extinction to multiple species to a pathetic crying stereotype that was constantly dependent on being saved by thick-headed, one-dimensional male stereotypes.

Just because they tried to "elaborate" on her story does not mean they did a good, or even remotely respectable job.  It's not about "oh look at Samus's figure."  The sexism was that they took a strong female icon and reduced her to a pathetic, weak, useless, whiny, emotionally crippled stereotype of a woman that could only be seen as attractive by a rapist seeking a target. 

The equivalent would be if, in the next Halo game, Master Chief spent the majority of the game crying, being scared, standing around while other people did his job for him, endlessly monologuing about his feelings pertaining to his obsession about one Ms. Adama Malkovich, constantly needing to be saved, and generally being useless.

Would you say that's an improvement?  Would anyone consider that an improvement for Master Chief?  Hell no!  So why does anyone defend it pertaining to Samus?!

There is adding depth, and there is character assassination.  Samus experienced the latter

« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2014, 03:58:22 pm »
One for me and one for the GF

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2014, 04:00:39 pm »
Yeah, I was just perusing through the under $10 bin at a place here and those were really the only 2 titles that stood out to me.

Dragon Warrior is a grind-fest, but it's still fun.  It was the first RPG I ever played. 
Ninja Gaiden II is a fan-freakin-tastic game.  It's hard, but still a blast.

I'm always surprised that Dragon Warrior is so cheap compared to it's NES sequels, then I remember why it's so common--it was originally given out with Nintendo Power subscriptions.  That's how I got it.

foxhack

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2014, 06:05:32 pm »
I'm always surprised that Dragon Warrior is so cheap compared to it's NES sequels, then I remember why it's so common--it was originally given out with Nintendo Power subscriptions.  That's how I got it.

Man, SCREW NINTENDO POWER.

I got a NES in Christmas '88. I subscribed to NP a month later. Two months later I get a "add a year to your subscription and you'll get the game for free!" offer. So I resubscribe.

I NEVER GET SENT ANOTHER ISSUE AGAIN, AND I DIDN'T GET THE GAME EITHER. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2014, 07:39:28 pm »

Man, SCREW NINTENDO POWER.

I got a NES in Christmas '88. I subscribed to NP a month later. Two months later I get a "add a year to your subscription and you'll get the game for free!" offer. So I resubscribe.

I NEVER GET SENT ANOTHER ISSUE AGAIN, AND I DIDN'T GET THE GAME EITHER. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.

I suppose it's too late to call them and get it sorted out?

*ducks*

** I know it's too late to call them and get it sorted out. ;)

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2014, 07:59:54 pm »
ssb 3ds

foxhack

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2014, 08:07:34 pm »
I suppose it's too late to call them and get it sorted out?

*ducks*

** I know it's too late to call them and get it sorted out. ;)

*throttles you*

I got a free game from Reddit, Canyon Capers (Steam). It kinda sucks but it has rewards money at Playfire so why the hell not.

Edit: Oh and I guess I also own Skyrim Legendary now, since it cost me $1.60 or so. :p
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:04:58 pm by foxhack »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2014, 10:24:48 pm »
Yeah, I was just perusing through the under $10 bin at a place here and those were really the only 2 titles that stood out to me.

Dragon Warrior is a grind-fest, but it's still fun.  It was the first RPG I ever played. 

Ninja Gaiden II is an essential NES game. It tells a fantastic story with awesome, stylish cutscenes. And it has some damn fantastic action-platforming in it. Plus dat music!

And yeah, DW is a grind-fest. I think it's THE grind-fest game. You can't seem to take more than 3 steps without a random encounter (and I'm not exaggerating).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:04:50 pm by burningdoom »

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2014, 10:55:58 pm »
So I did this on my way to Jiu Jitsu tonight.
It's fun.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2014, 11:20:51 pm »

Ninja Gaiden II is an essential NES game. It tells a fantastic story with awesome, stylish cutscenes. And it has some damn fantastic action-platforming in it. Plus dat music!

And yeah, DW is a grind-fest. I think it's THE grind-fest game. You can't seem to take more than 3 steps without a random encounter (and I'm not exaggerating).

On the Retron 5 use the max Gold, Max Experience, and every attack is an "excellent move" cheats.

I started a new game, got the Erdrik's armor in 5 minutes and saved princess Gwendolyn in 10. :)

davifus

« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2014, 01:01:53 am »
Join the Smash Train

Close up of the coin

"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

karyann

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2014, 09:04:28 am »
Join the Smash Train

Close up of the coin

I got that coin, too! I received it a few months back at the Smash-Fest event. Actually got 2, because my boyfriend gave me his  ;D That way I can display both sides at the same time!

Warmsignal

« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2014, 04:15:56 pm »
Located an obscure Wii game today - The Monkey King, also happened upon a mint pre-owned copy of Silent Hill Shattered Memories for the Wii, among some other goodies today.

davifus

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2014, 06:27:13 pm »

I got that coin, too! I received it a few months back at the Smash-Fest event. Actually got 2, because my boyfriend gave me his  ;D That way I can display both sides at the same time!

Any rec. on how to display it? BestBuy gave me the coin in a damage plastic case and has a small nick on the top of the coin.
"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)