Author Topic: Best thing to upgrade on a computer?  (Read 2297 times)

gokurin

Re: Best thing to upgrade on a computer?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 12:05:53 am »
I have the best luck buying a standard OFFICE/BUSINESS PC (Made to withstand a lot of being on 24/7 etc) and then upgrading it! :D

RAM, vid card, and power supply. then you're pretty all set.

I did this same sort of thing.

To OP,
I bought an HP Pavilion (making sure the case was easily opened) for ~400 bucks, then just upgraded the power supply and GPU.
Look for one that has 8GB of RAM + a good CPU already, saves trouble.
".........." -Gordon Freeman

davifus

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 12:57:00 am »
I have the best luck buying a standard OFFICE/BUSINESS PC (Made to withstand a lot of being on 24/7 etc) and then upgrading it! :D

I did this same sort of thing.

To OP,
I bought an HP Pavilion (making sure the case was easily opened) for ~400 bucks, then just upgraded the power supply and GPU.
Look for one that has 8GB of RAM + a good CPU already, saves trouble.

I dont think a Office/Business PC are optimal choices. There is no point on leaving on a gaming Pc for 24/7. Sure, you can change Ram & PSU but they aren't build for gaming, so their CPU isn't optimal nor is the Mobo. GPU could be a 50/50 depending on if it fits with the case or whether the GPU is going bottle neck because of the CPU & etc.

It's a option but you'll have to probably downgrade on some parts because Premade Business/Office computers aren't going to have power.

Just my 2 cents

"Hard work betrays none, but dreams betray many." ( Hachiman Hikigaya)
"People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday." (Winnie The Pooh)

foxhack

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 05:49:29 pm »

You get a decent amount of RAM, but the CPUs on those are horribly underpowered, and the video hardware will choke while running Youtube videos. And then you're not even sure if it's possible to upgrade the components. Does it have any empty PCI-E slots? How many ports does it have? Can the RAM be upgraded? Can you add more hard drives?